Friction Drive Wheel Question.

GoldenMotor.com

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Hello All.

I have a friction drive bike. From what I can tell the back wheel doesn't take very much punishment because its friction drive... I have noticed that the front wheel however seems to look wobbly and now is noisy... Like the bearings are rubbing and what not. These are stock Huffy Cranbrook wheels. Should I go and get a new front wheel? Replace the bearings? I guess I don't know what to do. I would like to spend the least amount of money but replace the wheel with something that will last longer. I guess my fear right now is that the bearings will some how lock up and I'll go flying over the handle bars (I don't even know if this is possible)....

Any help/advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated!

-SMoRZ3

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If the bearings are loose and crap take the cage to a bike shop, the can fix you up it's much cheaper than a wheel. Not hard to clean and repack or replace the bearings. The myth about friction drive ruining wheels is way over blown. It is my opinion that a tire will wear about about twice as fast as it would with chain drive. The ease and convenience of the friction drive way out weighs that.

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
Well, i figured the chain drive is what destroys the actual "wheel" more than the tire on the wheel. I just know that the front wheel doesn't seem to like the speeds. I can also tell my drive wheel on the engine will wear out way before the back tire will... Now I need to start thinking about a replacement for that... haha... thanks for the advice thus far. Anybody know what size bearings the Huffy Cranbrook front wheel takes off hand so I can just buy the stuff and learn for myself?

Thanks, SMoRZ3

SMoRZ3

Jul 25, 2011
West Michigan
I'm just wondering about bearing size, I would rather just replace them with something I know will last... hate to put a band-aid on a gun shot wound if you know what I mean... Is their and easy way to tell?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Wheel bearings will be standard for similar price point bikes, caged bearings I'll wager, available at most bike shops and I'll not confuse the issue with talk of loose ball, etc.
If the bike is not that old with limited use, chances are the bearings are okay. You could simply clean and inspect the caged balls and races, repack, assemble and adjust.