Iridium Ngk Spark Plug

GoldenMotor.com

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
hahahaha

I don't have the tools either to mess with it, I'm just gonna keep it stock at .032"
Sorry but how can a stock plug be .032????
Mine was around 1.5 mm
So i had to open it up to aprox.025 Inch.....6.35 mm
Am i missing something here??I bought bpr6hix

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
I go in inches, but it sounds you have just proven that your "miss" is not the spark plug.
These things are so simple & basic that it's allways something and basic that goes wrong.
What els could cause this miss???
I have bpr6hix...I had to open it up to 0.25 inch for the motor to run smooth with no miss????
But funny thing was the standerd plug with 3 electrodes still had a miss...I tried moving the c clip
So there must be something eles wrong with this engine?????????????
What eles could cause a miss except the spark plug??
Thanks for your helpcvlt1

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Which way did you move the needle clip. In almost all cases it should be in the top groove. If your "miss" is at a steady speed at part throttle but will clear up and run better when you have the throttle wide open and the motor wound up more that is the needle being too high. At wide open throttle the needle is not doing anything and the main jet is controlling the fuel mixture. It will probably have a .7 mm jet in it and that is also going to be too rich. Read the plug. Is it black? if it is it is too rich.

Jim

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
From the NGK website......

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.
I ordered my NGK BR9HIX right from NGK and it said specifically NOT to gap them. Trying to do so can snap the brittle, thin center electrode off. How odd that the website would contradict the instructions from NGK US. It also said they are pre-gapped to .031, pretty close to the previously reported .032 This is one of the reasons the ground electrode is so thick, to make it difficult to gap. The other reason is to provide enough "meat" that it doesn't get a progressively wider gap the longer you use it.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Im testing the Denso Iridium IWF20, electrode @ 0.4mm, its so...explosive!!

My cruiser 66cc with 36T has never been the same xct2

Rzee

Jun 13, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't even have my engine yet and I ordered an iridium plug, Magnecor plug wires, and a High Performance Air Filter all from Sick bike parts. My Flying Horse shall live up to its name when I get done with it (it shall fly) :)