Bike Rack?

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Has anyone ever come up with a way of carrying a stretch frame on a car? At 7.5' mine would be sticking out both sides of my Jeep Liberty. I guess I could take the front tire off but it would still be too long I think.

Any ideas out there?

Terry

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Has anyone ever come up with a way of carrying a stretch frame on a car? At 7.5' mine would be sticking out both sides of my Jeep Liberty. I guess I could take the front tire off but it would still be too long I think.

Any ideas out there?

Terry
Get one of the wheel chock mounts!

It'll slide into your receiver to your trailer hitch, but one draw back your rear wheel will roll as you drive.

C.H.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There has got to be a wide load joke in here somewhere but I got nuttun.

It will have to be one heck of a well thought out roof rack. Could always take the tires off but that sounds like a headache with the rear tire.

albert_c

Oct 21, 2010
San Jose, CA
I got this on the top of my 2-door 2006 Honda Civic:

Yakima Shop Bike Top HighRoller

With some tweaking, I am able to get a Schwinn OCC Stingray Chopper on it just fine. The tweaking involved requires me to open the front mount wheel lock to 29" (normally, it is at 26" for my mountain bikes) so the bike can move forward as far as it can go. Also, I have to deflate the rear wheel. But it works and I traveled almost 40 miles at avg. 70 mph and it didn't budge.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,Fulltimer!If you don't want to use a trailer,maybe you could build extensions off from your basket pointing towards the back that cleared the back of your roof that had rollers attached.
Then you could take a aluminum or steel channel that was long enoung to be captivated by the rollers on one end and rest on the ground on the other at an angle long enough for your wheel-base of the bike.
Then you could load the bike onto the channel secure it then roll the channel with bike up the rollers.
On the other end of the channel you could have a hindged coupler that would plug into your reciever.
It basically would look like you were pulling a hugh wheelie and slammed into the back of your Jeep going down the road!Doable?Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I like the Kipharley idea,
A trailer would be nice but if you ever towed a light trailer even at 40mph , they can bounce pretty violently, prob hurt the bike a bunch too.

Mac

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Make a set-up so that the bike is positioned at a 45 degree angle (or close)with the rear tire is at the lower drivers side bumper and the front is at the passenger side top,May still need to remove the front wheel and then again,maybe not

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Make a set-up so that the bike is positioned at a 45 degree angle (or close)with the rear tire is at the lower drivers side bumper and the front is at the passenger side top,May still need to remove the front wheel and then again,maybe not
Hmmm, that might work. When I tow my camper the bike can go inside. So, this idea merits some looking into. Thanks!

Terry

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
also saw a pic-up truck a while back that had the bikes mounted kinda like on the ladder rack except he had adapted it so the bikes were on the outside too,he looked to be on vacation and his kids raced bmx or something,that would put the bike tires at window level on the passenger side that was an impressive sight,I had to work through traffic to get a better look at that one ,he must have had 8 or more kids racing he seemed to be w/a big camper and a car or two in the group