Build in progress.

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
This is more so a before and after to get myself going and get motivated to do the work!
Right as she stands now:

I decided I am totally going to revamp the frame with sanding and repainting. I decided to do a pure black with a single red pin stripe as a home job. I bought quite a few pieces to put on and because the bike will be already half together I mean why not?

Currently being shipped I have:
NGK BPR6HIX - Spark Plug
A heavy duty air filter from SBP
36 tooth gear
Voodoo expansion pipe
2 Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire 26"

I'll post pics when finished and maybe a tiny bit of progress in a few days. Writing this thread will just make me want to actually do it! Hopefully I'll have a few rainy days here in Illinois shortly so I have to drive my car around.

**** maybe after the flat black paint job my tattoo artist art teacher from high school might hook me up with a cool design or something.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Well a couple days ago after a few upgrades the bike was on it's way to work when the chain tensioner failed out and got into my wheel causing major damage. I just decided to get a new bike all together. Thank god I didn't paint it already.

New $100 bike at wally world

It looks fantastic! At least to me!

But I didn't account for one problem.

Sorry if it's a little blurry. The gas tank line where it is suppose to be is so close to the top of the engine I can't fit my hosing in to fuel it. Any suggestions on what could be done?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It will fit. I had the exact same bike. You just need good quality fuel line and leave the tank tipped slightly over to allow enough room. It's tight but it WILL fit.
You have more serious problems.
It looks like your motor is off center from in the frame to one side in the pic to allow the carb to fit. You need and shortie manifold to allow the carb to fit INSIDE the frame. I had a small stock manifold and had to discard the plastic air filter housing and carefully adjust the angle of the engine to fit it in this model bike. You could also use a rubber hose to let you cut the manifold shorter and turn it to the side.
Hanging the motor off to the side will not work for very long. It creates far more problems than it solves.
Trust me, you will never get the chain line right with the motor mounted off center in the frame.
You need to modify your setup.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
It will fit. I had the exact same bike. You just need good quality fuel line and leave the tank tipped slightly over to allow enough room. It's tight but it WILL fit.
You have more serious problems.
It looks like your motor is off center from in the frame to one side in the pic to allow the carb to fit. You need and shortie manifold to allow the carb to fit INSIDE the frame. I had a small stock manifold and had to discard the plastic air filter housing and carefully adjust the angle of the engine to fit it in this model bike. You could also use a rubber hose to let you cut the manifold shorter and turn it to the side.
Hanging the motor off to the side will not work for very long. It creates far more problems than it solves.
Trust me, you will never get the chain line right with the motor mounted off center in the frame.
You need to modify your setup.
I think what you are actually seeing is my extended intake manifold I made at home to compensate for the carburetor not fitting.

I have no idea if it'll work haven't tried it out yet. It does have a slight incline to it to help with the flow. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch. I appreciate the concern though :] I mean really.... I don't want another mishap...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You could go to your local hardware store and get a brass street ell to screw into your fuel tank. This would redirect where you have the shut-off....thus, eliminating any space issues.

Good luck in your build!!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
You could go to your local hardware store and get a brass street ell to screw into your fuel tank. This would redirect where you have the shut-off....thus, eliminating any space issues.

Good luck in your build!!
I appreciate the idea! It sounds like a good plan to me! Until pay day I am just going to use another piece of pipe and raise it up and clamp it in place until I get around to getting to the hardware store which is ~22 miles away from where I live in rural Illinois!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Mach 2 is finished

List of current mods and most likely the end to the list:
NGK BPR6HIX - Spark Plug
A heavy duty air filter from SBP
36 tooth gear
Voodoo expansion pipe
Exhaust wrapped
2 Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire 26"
Extended intake manifold to account for carburetor also wrapped to keep gas cold
Ported intake and ported exhaust.

I'd like to really thank you guys for the help. I used to search function quite a bit to find out a lot about the know how for these bikes and found everything I needed! Even the obscure things!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Well nothing has happened since my last post except the engine has put on about two thousand miles. I built my buddy one with street tires, same plug and same rear sprocket and he keeps up with me. Need to change that.... so what I got on the way for a little extra oomph thru the power range to keep him in his place;
Manic mechanic shorty intake, thinner head gasket, base gasket, piston rings just in case, going to lighten up unsprung mass of the engine where applicable, dax slant head and port the intake and exhaust ports on the engine itself. Should liven up the worn out motor to kick the new kid. He destroys me in the low end but I catch up in the high end.... Kind of. Will post pictures when parts arrive

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Ported (no polish) intake side of cylinder

Ported and polished with 2000 grit sandpaper exhaust side.

Lightened up the piston with four 3/16th holes in areas that should never see daylight. And half mooned intake and exhaust side
Intake side

Exhaust side

Happy piston is happy.

All these things for just the cost of a few dremel bits which I already had!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Well today I got a few packages in the mail. Go my Manic Mechanic Shorty intake, SBP expansion pipe, and some piston rings, base gasket, aluminum exhaust gasket, different jet for the NT speed carb. Motor is going back on old bike due to the frame being too tight of a squeeze on the new bike. Shame. Guess it'll have to stay my normal pedaling bike. Something I did notice is that on the SBP expansion pipe the header is just a face plate off a door knob! Grinded a little bit and a pipe welded to it. Put it up to the one on my door and it fits perfectly! Ported out the header as much as I could and tried making it as smooth as possible as the way it came was just nasty and would probably run crappy!

I guess I don't really have a steady hand for a dremel. Caught my shirt twice while doing this. Should have sat down somewhere, but didn't have a chair in the garage

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Put on the expansion pipe today and got rid of all the copper elbows and silicone tubes. I just cut apart my old exhaust and pieced together a wrap around exhaust over the clutch cover. Rejetted the carb and all I can say is wow. Didn't think if notice a difference, but it's crazy. My low end is destroyed but from twenty on up to forty it screams. It's quiet compared to the previous one and I also put sound dampeners on the covers and it's very quiet. Not much rattling like before. Wrapped the exhaust to cover my terrible welds and to keep from burning myself.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Had some left over heat reflective tape from the cars intake and decided since my exhaust is really close to my carb it couldn't hurt to try it out. RTVed the carb because the gasket was leaking gas on the exhaust. More so than what just comes from the filter...

Put some on the bottom of the carb and on the extended intake (not pictured)
As well as the outside of the "heavy duty" air filter for the heck of it. Also shows the weird angle everything is put in there.

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi YesImLDS!

Nice bike! But I'm confused about some of your comments. Your a Ladder Day Saint, I'm assuming because of the name right?
If I had a friend riding with me I would make sure they were riding in front of me so I'd know they are always ok. Really, getting some parts to keep your friend in his place? Think about it a little while, I'm sure you'll figure out what I'm talking about. My advise, give the new parts to your friend, install them and then thank him or her for being your friend. You can't put a price on love or friendship and if your an LDS you should already understand this.

Dave
AssembleThis

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Haha,I appreciate the input. He is a good kid for a fifteen year old, but he can get an ego going.I'm just trying to keep him in check. We usually right side by side and him I'm front if ever a car is on the road. He gets all sorts of goodies and upgrades from me. The name is somewhat misleading as I have had a falling out with the church for good reasons I won't get onto in this forum as that's not necessary, but like said I help him when he has problems for no charge and it has taught me some good lessons. Thanks for the comment. Ride on!

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi YesImLDS!

Really 15 years old? Even more reason to take my advise on my last post on this thread. And I totally understand about the church thing. Too many people in this world don't practice what they preach. Seriously keep your friend in front of you. It's much easier to keep an eye on him, that way, instead of looking back and risking both of you. Besides don't you remember being that age and thinking your invincible?
I sure do, at that age I seriously thought I could do anything I put my mind too. Needless to say some worked out some caused injury lolol.

Dave
AssembleThis

.we.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Haha yeah I completely understand. He usually behaves himself and I have been making sure he always uses his hand signals and I even made she he had a light in front and a red light in back. I usually putt around at about 20mph-25mph with the occasional straight that I may get a little overboard on. He, well.... Not as much. I told him if he is in town he needs to watch himself (Nauvoo, Illinois Population 1100) pretty carefully and not to bother anybody. Sometimes I have to catch up to him to get in front of him to slow him down, that's where most the mods come in handy. Last thing I want is the locals pitching a fit to the small small local government to get these things outlawed.

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi YesImLDS!

Yeah I would be crushed if they were outlawed in my state. But for now things are ok, there are very few of these motorized bikes in this area. In fact in 6 months I've only seen one other one. Remember when your young you usually mimic anyone you idolize. Have fun, be safe and tell your friend I said hi!

Dave
AssembleThis

.xx.