Loss of power

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I have a China 66cc engine with about 300-500 km's on it. I have noticed that I've lost power...especially going up hill. It doesn't pick up speed like it used to on flat road either. I used to do up to 40+ kmph. I wouldn't do that for long periods though. Now I can't seem to get over 32 kmph. I've adjusted the throttle, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the spark plug, checked for any fuel leaks in the line and tightened head gaskets bolts.

I'm lost now and not sure what might be causing it.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
40:1 outa to be fine. But the thing that gets me is that you still have smoke. I use 40:1 and don't have smoke so that leads be to think that your carb may be running a tad on the rich side. That will cut power down.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Might want to do a plug chop. Make sure the plug isn't all gunked up which would indicate it's running too rich. You can experiment with the air/fuel mixture by moving the e-clip up or down. Moving it away from the smaller, tapered end should lean the air/fuel mixture a bit. I'm probably telling you what you already know, but maybe this will help someone.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Check for oil leakage which would indicate a intake leak, especially check the crank seals.

If your bike was running good till you got off the break in pre mix, you're probably running too rich now. Less oil equals more gas.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check gasket & seal leakage by looking for oil - check muffler for a clog

as the engine is now about finished with getting a good seat of the rings, you may need to change your mixture a bit

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
oh, don't forget the obvious like something rubbing on the wheels, or wheel bearings tight : )

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It's loud and just for testing but pull the tailpipe and go up the street and back.
Get your power back?
If so you know where the problem is.
Sorry, no advice on how to clean oil out of the cat in the tailpipe.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Well I took off the muffler and it looked to be clogged up. I let it soak in vinegar, baking soda, dish soap and water overnite. Then used engine cleaner to loosen up some more gunk and rinsed it with water. After that I air hosed it out. Now I just have to assemble it again and try it out. But that won't be until morning. I'll post the results once completed.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Well I put the muffler back on after cleaning it. When I used the air hose, air was going through it quite fine. Put fresh gas/oil in it. Removed cylinder head and cleaned gasket. Cleaned spark plug again. Changed fuel filters and hoses. But it still didn't improve any.
It wants to bog down a bit when I give it gas.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
It wants to bog down a bit when I give it gas.
So you increase the amount of gas supplied, and it chokes on it.
What happens when you put more food into your mouth than you can swallow and your nose is stuffed up?
You can't breathe.

When I had cylinder/piston damage due to destroyed bearing, I had to give it gas to keep it going.

So maybe your choke is on, or your jet hole is too big?

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I wasn't familiar the way these carbs or 2 strokes work. Now, after Googling, I realized what some were saying about the e-clip adjusting on the jet needle. I'm going to try that next.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Most of my ht's have liked the needle clip in the second groove from the top of the needle.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
Well I tried all different settings and it didn't solve the problem. I did another compression test, 120 psi, but I noticed it losing air. Within a minute, approximately, it was back down to 0. I also noticed some smoke and pinging/grinding sound coming from right side of the engine.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I tried all different settings and it didn't solve the problem. I did another compression test, 120 psi, but I noticed it losing air. Within a minute, approximately, it was back down to 0. I also noticed some smoke and pinging/grinding sound coming from right side of the engine.
That's all normal.