San Diego's 10th Group Ride

GoldenMotor.com

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Ocean Beach to Oceanside and back

SATURDAY - DECEMBER 17th - MEET AT 9A.M. ROLL OUT 9:45 SHARP!!!.
Meet at

OB BIKE AND TOUR
5032 Niagra Ave San Diego, CA 92107

Located at the foot of the Ocean Beach Pier. Look for the white building with a red door and banner on the side that says "Motorized Bikes" .

For this trip we are cruising the coast north to Oceanside, and back. Awesome flat terrain ride with a little bit of a cruise on the I-5 for about a 1 mile (yes it's legal in Sorrento Valley).

Make sure your nuts and bolts are torqued to spec carry some spare tubes and a patch kit and extra fuel and/or oil (you'll need it).
This is going to be a 70 mile cruise.

PLEASE WEAR HELMETS!!!!
Route Map (google maps):

San Diego's 10th Group Ride Route Map

usflgcvlt1.we..shft..wee.

Last edited:

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Hahaha we'd never make it pass Shelter Island again hahaha. That was a real nice place. Good strong drinks. Were gonna go to Breakwater or Pier View in Oceanside.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hahaha we'd never make it pass Shelter Island again hahaha. That was a real nice place. Good strong drinks. Were gonna go to Breakwater or Pier View in Oceanside.
That would be Breakwater Brewery.....right? Maybe the LA crew could meet us in O-side and ride down the coast and back. That'd be fun, but a long long day and drive for them.

In the future a good meeting place for a BIG so-cal group ride might be O-side or even Trestles. Then ride to Dana Point or Laguna and back. Rides are fun!

dnut

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Meeting spot has been switched to OB BIKE AND TOUR 5032 Niagra Ave San Diego, CA 92107 A brand new up and coming motorized bicycle shop specializing in 4 stroke engines.

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Where are all the posts? These rides are unbelievable folks!!! Come out and have some fun. Ted's shop is awesome - a must see for anyone remotely interested in OK, I'm going to get in trouble here, REAL motorized bikes!! That being 4 cycle bikes; not the ones that start rides; but, the ones that finish rides. I know the stories, painfull as they are, of the "reasons" the 2-cyclers share on this web site, of the unexpected troubles encountered during the ride!

I keep hearing from them that "I really wanted a 4 cycle, but . . . . . . . . .", you fill in the blank!! Reminscent of those "Harley wantabees" whose, sorryfully finally come to the statement, "I really wanted a Harley; but, couldn't afford one!"

I will give it to the 2-strokers that their engines look cool! But, I built mine to ride, not look at!

Boy, if this post doesn't get some action, I'm going to throw in the towel and go to the "other" site!! Ha!

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Uh Oh, now that's what I'm talking about! Come on down and have some fun with us. Yes, I admit the 2-strokes rev up more, look good and can whip up on the short runs; however, many seem to break down somewhere down the road on the long runs. Anyone else want to chime in on the merits of the 2-stroke vs the 4-stroke? Maybe, on this upcoming run we'll keep track on how well each variety fairs.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
The running average seems to be about a 50% loss of Chinas on these rides. So half of all HT powered bikes for one reason or another do not finish. I thinks it has to do with the hauling ass we do on these rides sometimes you'll be going WOT for 45min - 1 hour just so your not left behind.
Thats part of the reason I started looking for other engine options after my first ride, not because of reliability(although that became an issue soon after), but I was tired the faster bike having to wait on me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did I not say that I'll be there Tony? Pat will prolly be there too. We will ride oh yes we will....still debating on which bike to ride;) I might wear the helmet cam and vid the whole ride (most of it anyway).

See yas there!

dnut

Where are all the posts? These rides are unbelievable folks!!! Come out and have some fun. Ted's shop is awesome - a must see for anyone remotely interested in OK, I'm going to get in trouble here, REAL motorized bikes!! That being 4 cycle bikes; not the ones that start rides; but, the ones that finish rides. I know the stories, painfull as they are, of the "reasons" the 2-cyclers share on this web site, of the unexpected troubles encountered during the ride!

I keep hearing from them that "I really wanted a 4 cycle, but . . . . . . . . .", you fill in the blank!! Reminscent of those "Harley wantabees" whose, sorryfully finally come to the statement, "I really wanted a Harley; but, couldn't afford one!"

I will give it to the 2-strokers that their engines look cool! But, I built mine to ride, not look at!

Boy, if this post doesn't get some action, I'm going to throw in the towel and go to the "other" site!! Ha!

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Hey Scotto-
I saw your earlier message. All I was trying to do in the "spew" post was drum up a bit of activity/interest in coming out for a great ride! Maxvision has a beaut of a 2-cycle, jack shafted low-rider, but (and that's a normal 2-stroker comment) the last couple of rides have not been finished by him. His ride screams - - - - then something comes loose. What do you think Hawaii? Any 2-stroke issues ever cause you to not finish a run?

Scotto and Pat - - - see ya Saturday! Maybe we should swing by the Bali Hai on the way. Ha!

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Hahaha you guys are hilarious!!! That's why I love these SD rides!!! I think almost everyone here has had a two stroke at one time or another. Pro's are cheap start up, operation, direct drive clutch, ease of installation and maintenance, and of course looks. Con's are amount of maintenance, dirtiness, low quality of workmanship from the factory and feeling like your on a 70's vibrating motel bed at WOT. I have been very lucky (knock on wood). The only engine related issue I've had on rides have been: 1 fouled plug which was cleaned and lasted to Carlsbad and back, 1 shattered carb and loose exhaust bolts in Venice Beach, 1 broken motor mount which had to be drilled and use of the Grab-it® which by the way works very very well. but alas I will be converting over to a 4 stroker when tax season comes up. I've already bought a EZ Silent Drive in preparation for this.

Besides a flat tire a broken chain and the carb issue in Venice. I've only DNF'ed 3 rides out of 10. Not bad since I also ride it almost everyday.

Oh we dont need to drum up interest for the rides we just let everyone know what they missed out on hahahahaha!!!! All they have to read is every other San Diego Group Ride Post lol!!!!

Last edited: