carb Idle screw..help

GoldenMotor.com

Sidthekidd11

Mar 5, 2009
ny
hey i lost the crb idle screw and know i can buy a new one but i dont want to wat for shipping and all that so i was wondering if any knew the size of the screw so i can try to use that and put a pen spring on it.

any other ways we be helpful too.

Thanks, Mike

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Its a simple metric threaded screw , I know a 10 mm wrench fits the head if it were a regular bolt. But try a few metric sized bolts till you get one to thread into the carb.

Once you have found the correct threaded bolt, just simple grind the head to a cone shape , add a small spring to it and you have yourself a new ideler screw.

If you tend to loose your idle screw alot, then use a short cable lead from your fishing tackle box and wrap it around your idle screw so it stay in place, then find a nut or bolt some where to locate the other end , so that if it works its way loose again it will still be tied to the engine by the cable you just added and then you can simple reattach it .

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
idle screw size anyway here is what I found.
thread size .7mm
length not counting the head of the screw is 11/16" long
the end of the screw is not threaded for about 3/16" and there is a about a 45 degree angle on the end.
spring is about 3/8" long uncompressed and the inside dia. about 3/16"
you should be able to get the parts at a hardware store or nappa auto parts store.
Norman
this picture might help

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you can run it without the screw,the screw just holds the slide up a little to idle,but when stopped you can just give it gas a little to keep it running,but put screw in as soon as possible.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Do not run the motor with the screw missing. Running with the screw missing will allow the engine to suck fresh air. This will cause a lean condition and burn your motor up in no time at all. So.. Heads up on this one. You need to fill that hole with an idle screw.. Or let the motor sit until you get one. Thanks.. and.. Enjoy the ride....

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I did not know you had ordered a carb screw with spring. I will check the orders. We are running behind a little I hope to get caught up tomorrow. Sunday is Easter and no work will be done . Parts should ship out monday or tuesday by post. You should have it in a few days after they ship. Thanks.. We appreciate your business. Sincerely.. Duane..

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
idle screw size anyway here is what I found.
thread size .7mm
length not counting the head of the screw is 11/16" long
the end of the screw is not threaded for about 3/16" and there is a about a 45 degree angle on the end.
spring is about 3/8" long uncompressed and the inside dia. about 3/16"
you should be able to get the parts at a hardware store or nappa auto parts store.
Norman
Lost my idle screw today...thanks for posting this info, Norm.

also, what's the spring for? Is it just to keep the screw from scooting in due to vibrations?

Last edited: