Pop rivet torque pipe?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So the cost of having someone weld me a torque pipe is prohibitive, but someone suggested that I make one using pop rivets, cold forming with a hammer and anvil, and high temperature sealant. Anyone tried this before? Anyone think it would be a waste of time and fail horribly?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I don't know about pop riveting the joints, I guess it might work.
I am considering extending a poopoo pipe to work on mine by adding a length of pipe to it and sealing it at the joints (which will be straight) with some of that high temp silicon tubing available from SBP. It comes in 6" lengths (enough to make 3 or 4 connectors) for about $7.
I can't get access to a welder, either.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can't remember if its up or down but the position will be dictated by the locator pins. they will be on the top or bottom of the ring channel/slot. At least, on mine they are.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think it could work, but would most likely end up being a huge PITA and a leaky mess from every seam. HOWEVER, if done CORRECTLY, riveting can be made pressure tight.
Man has been doing it for almost a century on boilers. But it takes special skills, tools, and materials