249 kit from gasbike yes or no....

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
It has the 80 tooth drive.... Will I regret getting it???? I would assume a little peddling would be necessary.....

sjppumpman

May 26, 2011
Clovis, CA
I purchased one and the standard motor mounting plate won't work. The engine and trans is totally different. The engine has to move farther over on the trans side of the engine.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
I purchased one and the standard motor mounting plate won't work. The engine and trans is totally different. The engine has to move farther over on the trans side of the engine.
Can you be more specific? I've got a lot riding on this deal. When you say the motor mount won't work do you mean it's defective or just simply won't fit because the design of your bike frame? How is the engine and trans diffrent? Is it a 4G belt drive or is it a gear box? As far back as I can remember these 4 stroke kits came with all the same standard stuff besides the new 4g belt drive. Are you sure that maybe your project bike just doesn't meet the right size for this kit?

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
The kit from Gasbike.net appears to be the same kit but, $100 cheaper.
gasbike.net has absolutely terrible reviews. there has been so many people complaining about receiving wrong kits,broken parts,and what they show in the pictures doesn't mean thats what your buying.

Returns are a nightmare,they will never get back ahold of you and so on. I guess thats why im curious if this is a legit kit for that price. im looking to jump in too because of the price tag but i dont want to get ripped off and have to deal with a 6 month battle to get a refund or a replacement.

personally, i stayed away from gasbike because hearing of their bad business practices so i wouldn't know first hand if they are legit.

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
gasbike.net has absolutely terrible reviews. there has been so many people complaining about receiving wrong kits,broken parts,and what they show in the pictures doesn't mean thats what your buying.

Returns are a nightmare,they will never get back ahold of you and so on. I guess thats why im curious if this is a legit kit for that price. im looking to jump in too because of the price tag but i dont want to get ripped off and have to deal with a 6 month battle to get a refund or a replacement.

personally, i stayed away from gasbike because hearing of their bad business practices so i wouldn't know first hand if they are legit.
Seriously? (<--- I mean this in a sarcastic kind of way) I have purchased all my kits from them with no problems. I don't know about YOU but, I purchase everything online with a credit card. In doing so I am protected from any fraud or misrepresentation of any kind. It is very easy to handle these cases. Pay attention to this part. You first call the seller and try to get the issue resolved. When this fails in a timely manner you call your credit card company explain to them the situation and ask them to retract the money. You then email or call the seller explaining to them what you have done and ask them where they want their product to be shipped. What you are doing is going from victim to the person in charge. I have had to do this more than once in my life. I don't put up with any crap from any seller. They will not come after you because they know they are the ones who have either broken the law by misrepresentation or sold you a defective item.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Seriously? (<--- I mean this in a sarcastic kind of way) I have purchased all my kits from them with no problems. I don't know about YOU but, I purchase everything online with a credit card. In doing so I am protected from any fraud or misrepresentation of any kind. It is very easy to handle these cases. Pay attention to this part. You first call the seller and try to get the issue resolved. When this fails in a timely manner you call your credit card company explain to them the situation and ask them to retract the money. You then email or call the seller explaining to them what you have done and ask them where they want their product to be shipped. What you are doing is going from victim to the person in charge. I have had to do this more than once in my life. I don't put up with any crap from any seller. They will not come after you because they know they are the ones who have either broken the law by misrepresentation or sold you a defective item.
for further reasoning to my logic....

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/gasbike.html

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38714

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37647

and the list goes on....

you dont need to bust my balls on how fantastic plastic (credit card) purchases work and try to make me look like a stooge,i know how this works,but honestly with as many bad reviews and bad customer relations with gasbike.net, why in the F**k would i want to take the time playing a game of grab a** with them or my bank?

Im taking the time to ask what is received with this kit and how its condition is. thats the only reason why i posted here is to hear whats going on before I attempt to do business with a half assed company.

If you like to jump into things blind and have to take time out of your day to get issues like this resolved,then good for you,but not everyone else wants to.

Last edited:

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
for further reasoning to my logic....

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/gasbike.html

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38714

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37647

and the list goes on....

you dont need to bust my balls on how fantastic plastic (credit card) purchases work and try to make me look like a stooge,i know how this works,but honestly with as many bad reviews and bad customer relations with gasbike.net, why in the F**k would i want to take the time playing a game of grab a** with them or my bank?

Im taking the time to ask what is received with this kit and how its condition is. thats the only reason why i posted here is to hear whats going on before I attempt to do business with a half assed company.

If you like to jump into things blind and have to take time out of your day to get issues like this resolved,then good for you,but not everyone else wants to.
Like I said, I have made multiple purchases from them without a problem. They are also a sponsor for this site. This does not mean that they are perfect, or that I would not have a problem with them in the future. I have had big problems with well know companies in the past also but, for an extra $100 I will take that chance.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Like I said, I have made multiple purchases from them without a problem. They are also a sponsor for this site. This does not mean that they are perfect, or that I would not have a problem with them in the future. I have had big problems with well know companies in the past also but, for an extra $100 I will take that chance.
Seeing your post history, I doubt you have any experience with the 4-stroke kits from them. This is what we are really talking about.

The 4-stroke kits are a completely different animal than the 2-stroke kits. I've seen many instances in this forum where people have purchased a 4-stroke kit only to find that they received inferior components and an undesirable transmission. There is a _lot_ of variety with components and transmissions in the 4-stroke kits as well as the fact there are 2 different Huashengs offered in such kits (tapered shaft and keyed shaft).

If you have ever bought a 4-stroke kit only to find you were offered the worst engine mount, a crappy transmission, low-grade components that break quickly, a version of the engine you didn't expect, you might find that the extra $100 was well spent. Especially if you're unable to get the build going because you're forced to improvise/buy more parts/wait on replacements while waiting for crappy customer service.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I will chime in. The first 4 stroke kit i bought from them was received as promised. Ran fine and came as described. When i ordered two more kits i received two kits that did not fit the description. Description on website stated 100t pulley and 8500 no load rpm. Well, they sent 80t pulley (didnt mind much) but most importantly, the motors only rev to 6900 rpm. Also noticed over bumps engine kept cutting out. One motor out of the two has a terrible valve tap to it, and no matter how they are adjusted, it won't go away. This particular motor with the valve noise loses power after riding a while.

The fix..
To correct the lower rpm capability. I replaced the flywheel and cdi. Now allows for 8000 rpm range.
To correct engine cutting out over bumps. I replaced the carburator. Doesn't cut out over bumps anymore. Also carb in kit must have smaller jet or something different about it. New replacement carburator gave this engine more power.
So the cost to bring up to par with other kits out of the box was about $100 per motor.

One engine kit seems ok, although i only have about 25 miles on it.
2nd engine kit with tappy lifters is ok on flats but after riding a while loses too much power for long slight grades. This bike has about 300 miles on it.

For $249 would i buy it? I don't know. I have been thinking about it. The carb may be a simple fix such as a jet being drilled out bigger and or a float issue. If 25-26 mph is fast enough for you, having the rpm limited to 6900 out of the box will not bother you. My only concern was i got one with noisey lifters that a simple adjustment won't fix. But again, for $249 i am contemplating a few more kits.

Why?
I have had a 4 stroke kit from bikeberry. I Installed on a 29 inch cruiser. The engine ran great, but the kit comes with the hoot trans. The out of the box gearing with 29" tires only allowed a top speed of 23mph. On a 26" tire this out of box kit would only do 20 mph. Not fast enough for me, so purchasing another sized rear sprocket is needed which equals more cost and having a sprocket that is useless to me. No option to ship wth a different sprocket size is available. I will say though, that 29" cruizer pulled strong on any hill.

Also, i have installed a kit by bicycleengines. Their kit is the non tapered shaft with a 100t 4g trans. I loved and hated that kit. The engine with the 100t 4g trans felt more powerful and torquey verses gasbikes tapered shaft 100t 4g kit i installed on same bike setup. The only downfall for me were two things. At idle the noise from the cluth bell is very annoying on the non tapered shaft from bicycleengines. Secondly, you have to pedal from a stop before applying gas or the clutch chatters and jerks badly. Both kits from bikeberry and gasbikes, also both being the tapered shaft, were smooth regarding engagement from a standstill, which for me seems better. The bicycleengines kit did feel better than the other two kits though once you got moving. I did replace the flywheel key eventually and noticed an improvement over the chatter but to me still very unacceptable. I believe much of the chatter and jerkiness has to do with the clutch engaging too quickly. It egages right off idle, and have noticed many times it tries to engage when at idle at a stop sometimes after riding a while. I did try a oem replacement clutch, thinking the original was defective, but it was the same. To try and raise the engagement rpm, i tried to install washers numerous times. Nothing helped, could never get the engagement rpm higher.

Well, i hoped this helped you and any others with any decisions. I am currently on the fence myself with the $249 kits from gasbikes. And i have been burned by them already.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
My buddy just finished up his 249 kit..... Started first pull and runs great....

Just need to run a better exhaust so it doesn't sound like a lawnmower....

My kit will be here Thursday....

tonyslowrider

Feb 28, 2012
winter springs-FL
Just got 2 kits, I'm hearing bad and somewhat good things...... These are going to be my second and third 4 stroke motors.....the first one I bought was from pirate cycles, I installed it on my blue lowrider bike over 2 year's ago, and it's still running great........but just by looking at the gasbike kits there's some small differences between them, Like no 5/8" Shaft,no kill switch on the engine no 100/12 'SOLID' drive transmission, but the engine and accessories are the same......BUT as long as it goes 20+ and last 3 years+ I'll be worth every penny...... I should be done installing the kit this week and be riding this weekend I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I will chime in. The first 4 stroke kit i bought from them was received as promised. Ran fine and came as described. When i ordered two more kits i received two kits that did not fit the description. Description on website stated 100t pulley and 8500 no load rpm. Well, they sent 80t pulley (didnt mind much) but most importantly, the motors only rev to 6900 rpm. Also noticed over bumps engine kept cutting out. One motor out of the two has a terrible valve tap to it, and no matter how they are adjusted, it won't go away. This particular motor with the valve noise loses power after riding a while.

The fix..
To correct the lower rpm capability. I replaced the flywheel and cdi. Now allows for 8000 rpm range.
To correct engine cutting out over bumps. I replaced the carburator. Doesn't cut out over bumps anymore. Also carb in kit must have smaller jet or something different about it. New replacement carburator gave this engine more power.
So the cost to bring up to par with other kits out of the box was about $100 per motor.

One engine kit seems ok, although i only have about 25 miles on it.
2nd engine kit with tappy lifters is ok on flats but after riding a while loses too much power for long slight grades. This bike has about 300 miles on it.

For $249 would i buy it? I don't know. I have been thinking about it. The carb may be a simple fix such as a jet being drilled out bigger and or a float issue. If 25-26 mph is fast enough for you, having the rpm limited to 6900 out of the box will not bother you. My only concern was i got one with noisey lifters that a simple adjustment won't fix. But again, for $249 i am contemplating a few more kits.

Why?
I have had a 4 stroke kit from bikeberry. I Installed on a 29 inch cruiser. The engine ran great, but the kit comes with the hoot trans. The out of the box gearing with 29" tires only allowed a top speed of 23mph. On a 26" tire this out of box kit would only do 20 mph. Not fast enough for me, so purchasing another sized rear sprocket is needed which equals more cost and having a sprocket that is useless to me. No option to ship wth a different sprocket size is available. I will say though, that 29" cruizer pulled strong on any hill.

Also, i have installed a kit by bicycleengines. Their kit is the non tapered shaft with a 100t 4g trans. I loved and hated that kit. The engine with the 100t 4g trans felt more powerful and torquey verses gasbikes tapered shaft 100t 4g kit i installed on same bike setup. The only downfall for me were two things. At idle the noise from the cluth bell is very annoying on the non tapered shaft from bicycleengines. Secondly, you have to pedal from a stop before applying gas or the clutch chatters and jerks badly. Both kits from bikeberry and gasbikes, also both being the tapered shaft, were smooth regarding engagement from a standstill, which for me seems better. The bicycleengines kit did feel better than the other two kits though once you got moving. I did replace the flywheel key eventually and noticed an improvement over the chatter but to me still very unacceptable. I believe much of the chatter and jerkiness has to do with the clutch engaging too quickly. It egages right off idle, and have noticed many times it tries to engage when at idle at a stop sometimes after riding a while. I did try a oem replacement clutch, thinking the original was defective, but it was the same. To try and raise the engagement rpm, i tried to install washers numerous times. Nothing helped, could never get the engagement rpm higher.

Well, i hoped this helped you and any others with any decisions. I am currently on the fence myself with the $249 kits from gasbikes. And i have been burned by them already.
One trick I have used to raise engagement rpm is to lighten the clutch shoes by drilling. This raises the engagement rpm by forcing the engine to spin harder before the centrifugal forces overcome the clutch springs.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Fixed a couple alignment issues on my buddies bike and took it for a spin.... What a nice ride......Far superior to my 2000 mile 2 stroke.........

Love the lack of vibration and quiet cruising........

My kit is here Thursday........
And all my friends will be ordering soon........

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Maniac57,
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try.

For those buying the $249 kits, that is a good price. Please install tachometer and let us know if they are still limited at 6900 rpm? Also, does the bike cut out over bumps (carb issue)?
I myself would like to know...

Thanks