Old Patents are Fun.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
When I'm having a day when I'm not so well I like to cheer myself up by doing a Google search for old motor bicycle and bicycle attachment patents.

This one is a familiar enough idea, but I love this statement that the inventor makes in the first paragraph of the description; - The present invention relates to a removable motor unit, capable of being instantaneously adapted to a bicycle or other cycle.

I think we could all do with a bicycle motor that's capable of being fitted 'instantaneously' ;)

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
This one is an old favourite of mine from 1903.

The patent description reads: -

Be it known that I, WARREN J. BELCHER, a citizen of the United States, residing inI-Iartford, in the county of Hartford and State of Connecticut, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Bicycle Motor-Tenders, of which the following is a specification. This invention relates to attachments for bicycles, and has for its object to provide an attachable motor-tender for bicycles and similar vehicles. I

Another object of the invention is to provide means whereby a safety-bicycle can be converted into a motor-vehicle.

Another object of the invention is to provide a carriage for supporting the propelling mechanism for a motor-bicycle and in the organization and construction of the carriage.

Another object of the invention is to provide a carriage for receiving the thrust and vibration of a motor for a motor-bicycles Another object of the' invention is to provide means whereby a motor attachment may be applied to a drop-frame or ladys bicycle without bringing the motor mechanism un-comfortably near the person of the rider. (Emphasis on the last sentence is mine)

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
A bicycle sidecar chassis from 1912.

The description states: -

To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, GEORGE Gr. BUCKLAND, a. citizen of the United States, residing' in the city and county of San Francisco and State of California, have invented new and useful Improvements in Bicycle Side Cars, of which the following is a specification.

This invention relates to vehicles and particularly to a bicycle or motorcycle adapted for carrying one or more passengers, or parcels, or boxes.

The invention consists of aside car attachment for motorcycles or bicycles having means whereby it may be readily connected to the vehicle, and which has articulated elements enabling the swinging of the wheels of the bicycle with the wheel of the side car in unison with the tilting action of the bicycle when making a turn.

1t also comprises details of construction which will be more fully explained by reference to the accompanying drawings in which- Figure 1 is a perspective view of the side car from the rear looking forward, as attached to a bicycle. Fig. 2 is a perspective of an axle clip. Figs. 3 and Li are diagrammatic views-representing the bicycle and side car in vertical and tilted positions.

Attachments