1934 CAC Speedway

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Very nice work on such an original creation! I bet that boardtracker mixed it up with its use of low CG technology to go around the track faster than everybody else!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
That looks FANTASTIC! Tell us more about the drive section. Does the pedal crank freewheel or do ya just have to pedal really fast when under power? Did you make the tank?

denmasardhy

Feb 16, 2013
Indonesia
below pic is the design reference for this build, Harley Davidson 1934 CAC Speedway by Joe Petralli. the entire dimension is scaled to 20" x 2.30 bmx tire so the chassis is smaller than the original design

the rear hub is coaster hub, so it will act as free wheel and brake when we pedal in reverse. for the left side, i make "left orientation" thread on the hub housing for the engine-driven sprocket. the engine is started by its original recoil starter and free as the stihl-modified centrifugal clutch is disengaged on low rpm. on higher rpm, the clutch is engaged and drive the pulley and then wheel sprocket. the pedal is freely when we run (we dont have to pedal very fast). similar case when we stop on traffic light, engine run in low rpm and clutch disengaged.

for the front wheel, its a modified shimano dynamo hub as i mount disc brake on it.

when we run out of gas, we can pedal the bike (bit heavier due to belt friction)

the fuel tank is hand made and at this moment still finding nice headlamp with tacho at ebay.

Attachments

denmasardhy

Feb 16, 2013
Indonesia
you are right, i use stihl 070 chainsaw centrifugal clutch as below pic. the sketch i used for lathe working can be found at below link

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46565

need to machine the shaft of the clutch shoe and bolted to the engine crankshaft flange/flywheel. also remove the drum back side sprocket and weld metal log, then machine to make the belt pulley.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
OK had to print it out and use a magnifing glass to see it. I am slitly color blind so some colors just blend for me makes it hard to see.
How about a needle bearing? About the clutch don't they screw on a chain saw? did you just bore that out?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Do you know if the spray manufacturer were using Kawasaki engines? That looks like one that we finally identified a couple of weeks back.