Pirate Cycles

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I ordered a set of 26" wheels from Pirate Cycles with the stipulation that they take a 15mm (a little less than 5/8") axle. The wheels came yesterday. Too small! It had 3/8" axles. I tried to call them but their message machine was full, as usual, so I couldn't leave a message. I did send an email to them.

Does anyone have a phone number other than the one on their web page that I could call them?

Terry

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I ordered a set of 26" wheels from Pirate Cycles with the stipulation that they take a 15mm (a little less than 5/8") axle. The wheels came yesterday. Too small! It had 3/8" axles. I tried to call them but their message machine was full, as usual, so I couldn't leave a message. I did send an email to them.

Does anyone have a phone number other than the one on their web page that I could call them?

Terry
...yeah man, i don't have another number but if you are persistent and call after 3, ...say every 15 minutes, eventually, someone will answer, ...and i say after 3 because that's when the day is winding down and both Matt and Justin should be in the shop.

...their customer service sucks but they didn't get this busy by accident, ...at least that is my assumption, i'm still waiting for my bike to be delivered so i can't say yet from actual experience.

...hang in there man, from everything i've read so far they are legit guys who are just swamped with work.

peace, bozo

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Mar 31, 2013
RI
I think you mixed up Pirate with spookytooth, who did get bought by bikeberry a while ago ;)
...yeah, i am awaiting delivery of my bike from Pirate Cycles as we speak and i can tell you for certain that Justin and his brother Matt are still the owners and they are VERY busy, ...when i was in the shop 3 weeks ago you almost had to walk sideways to get in the door it's so jammed in there.

...there's no doubt they need someone in there to handle customer service but, at heart, they are bike mechanics and so they don't realize how much money this costs them in lost business and in the tarnish it lays on their reputation.

peace, bozo

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
So far I haven't been able to talk to them. They don't seem to answer emails either. I don't want to just send the wheels back without talking to them first. I might have to just eat them I guess.

There is a locale bike shop here that thinks they can order what I want so I may be forced to do that. Maybe they would buy my wheels from Pirate.

Terry

Mar 31, 2013
RI
So far I haven't been able to talk to them. They don't seem to answer emails either. I don't want to just send the wheels back without talking to them first. I might have to just eat them I guess.

There is a locale bike shop here that thinks they can order what I want so I may be forced to do that. Maybe they would buy my wheels from Pirate.

Terry
i know it's a hassle man but i'd still suggest you just be persistent, they ARE there but they are VERY busy and i have to believe that they are busy because they are good at what they do.

...here's a picture of the bike they are building for me, the rear rack/gas tank is the only hold up and that should be installed today and i'm hoping to have the bike in my possession by early next week.

peace, bozo

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I have had good luck calling first thing tuesday morning. I agree though, they could use a person to take calls and respond to emails.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think you mixed up Pirate with spookytooth, who did get bought by bikeberry a while ago ;)
No, I wasn't confusing them. There was a rumor that Pirate had been sold, but it was being reported as fact. I don't remember who said it anymore. Apparently it was misinformation. But the fact that it wasn't sold makes the decline in customer service even more saddening.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
No, I wasn't confusing them. There was a rumor that Pirate had been sold, but it was being reported as fact. I don't remember who said it anymore. Apparently it was misinformation. But the fact that it wasn't sold makes the decline in customer service even more saddening.
...i agree it's a hassle but 'saddening'?

like i already said, they are busy because they are good at what they do and if you are persistent you WILL get through, i KNOW this for a fact because they are building me a bike and you can be sure i have had to deal with the same hassles in reaching them, BUT, i have always managed to get through if i keep at it.

...so yeah, it's a hassle but don't be sad, just call back.

peace, bozo

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, I don't buy from them anymore. I bought a gasket from them and they put a sarcastic note with it saying the box cost 5 times what the gasket did. Thats not only poor customer service, its rude. When I say decline in customer service, I mean more than just not being able to reach them by phone or email. There are a whole list of threads here reporting a variety of issues that customers have had with pirate. They got an F rating from the better business bureau for failure to respond to two or more complaints. When I say saddening, here is what I mean. Pirate used to have great customer service. Right around the time that I heard it was being sold is when it started to go downhill. Thinking that it was sold, the decline in customer service was not surprising or upsetting. but, knowing that its still under the original owners and they are treating customers the complete opposite of how they used to, that's very disappointing. if they are so busy, why can't they afford to hire someone to handle customer service? why don't people get what they pay for? why do they send sarcastic notes to people that need to buy small parts? these issues go way beyond not being able to get them on the phone. Sorry, but I WILL NOT buy from them as long as Justin and matt are in charge.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I sent them a letter today. I also let them know that people were watching this thread. When they get the letter they will have to sign for it and I will get a copy of the signature. I have dealt with them before with 100% satisfaction. Something has changed there. Either new owners or they might be getting to self important. Either way I don't think I will deal with them again. Don't say I have to keep trying to call them. I must have called 20 times. Before hours, during hours and after hours. Just empty the damn mail box and start taking calls. How many sales have they lost? A bunch I'll bet.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I just received a phone call from Pirate Cycles. He apologized for not getting back to me and said to send the wheels back for a full refund. He does not carry the size of wheels I need. I will say he was very nice on the phone and the whole mess is cleared up. So, I give him a thums up.

I have found a place that does have wheels that take a 15mm axle so now I'll order them.

Terry

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
A key factor the OP left out of this: I ordered a set of 26" wheels from Pirate Cycles with the stipulation that they take a 15mm (a little less than 5/8") axle.

How did you express this stipulation? What you wanted is not a common item and unless you received confirmation that they had what you wanted BEFORE placing the order I think you share some blame in not getting what you expected.
As far as all the people who say Pirate should hire someone to answer the phone and e mails, like most of the motorized bicycle buisinesses, this is a small business with a very tight profit margin. Answering all the phone calls and e mails can keep a person busy without increasing profits enough to payoff. When you operate a business this small you have to make choices. You can't put in place ways to prevent people (who haven't done there research) from making mistakes and still turn a profit. Most of the complaints I see about Pirate Cycles and many of the vendors here could have been avoided by the buyer doing proper research.