vintage engine build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Here are some pictures of a engine that I have been working on. It started out as a engine that was in a book called motor bicycle building. posted in a thread by crazy horse. I have made changes to the plans to make it doable without castings and make the intake mechanical. all the parts were made from welded up parts or solid. I still need to build a fuel system and install a mag. I think I am gong to build a frame next and then fit the rest of the parts to get the look I want. I have not decided what brand to go with. I have thought about maybe Norton. What do you think would be the proper bike for this engine? Tom

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here are some pictures of a engine that I have been working on. It started out as a engine that was in a book called motor bicycle building. posted in a thread by crazy horse. I have made changes to the plans to make it doable without castings and make the intake mechanical. all the parts were made from welded up parts or solid. I still need to build a fuel system and install a mag. I think I am gong to build a frame next and then fit the rest of the parts to get the look I want. I have not decided what brand to go with. I have thought about maybe Norton. What do you think would be the proper bike for this engine? Tom

Tom, this / your engine is exquisite a beautiful work of Art and a Tribute if I may of those from a bygone era!

Maybe, ( TG Motor Bikes Co. ), or ( Tom's Motor Co. ), or ( 1909 Special TG MotorBike Co. ).

Please build more of these engines, they are just unbelievable. To think that they have been resurrected, from a long lost formula. And you my friend deciphered the long lost formula.

Kudo's, and thank you for sharing with us all here at Motorbicycling.com!

Peace Crazy Horse!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is fantastic! I would love to build my own engine some day. Can you please give us more details on the engine and more photos? It would even be cool to see some build photos if you have any. Also, How long did it take you to build this?

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
This engine is so gosh darn awesome, its like my dream come true of a motorized bicycle vintage engine! I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, alas, I fear I would not have the proper amount of money to pay for it.

I have also dreamed of building my own, but I lack proper tools an proper skills. I have always admired budfabb's built motor using a vw cylinder mated to a homemade crank case.

You are an amazingly talented individual, and you should be damn proud of yourself.

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
This is fantastic! I would love to build my own engine some day. Can you please give us more details on the engine and more photos? It would even be cool to see some build photos if you have any. Also, How long did it take you to build this?
Lurker, when I clicked on the photo in Tom TG's first post, I was brought to his photobucket account of the build. There are tons of pictures of the build in progress.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Droooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should sell these once you sort yours out...... What capacity is this engine? Do you have an expected HP output?

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Tom, this engine would be perfect with a rolling chassis from Sportsman Flyer or Taylar Motor Bikes both guys build beautiful Custom Vintage Style frames.

This engine reminds me of (RIP) Dick Wingers 24" 1/2 Scale Indian below

If he can build it, I know you can build it to Tom.

Crazy Horse.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
My hat’s off to you!

Quite an admission considering my hairline & the time of year.

To answer your question I’m with Crazy Horse and think you should create your own brand name.

This is a amazing bit of craftsmanship!

Thanks for sharing!

-Kirk

Last edited:

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
Oh, that is nice work. What is the displacement?
As for a frame, I vote you start with a Worksman and then stretch to a drop loop your self.
that way it would truly be your bike.

I would LOVE to have a copy of your modified machinist drawings for this engine.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thank guys I appreciate the encouragement.
Sorry about the delay in answering your questions I am still working for a living.
I plan on building my own frame with leaf springs front and rear. l like the btr style but I am to old to ride one. Buying a frame would take the fun out of doing this project. the fun comes from creating things with what you have to work with and with ever new project you find out what you really can do .
I took a machining course at night so I could do projects like this. After I finish a engine and fire it up its a great feeling of accomplishment. This is my 9th home built engine and they get easer after each one.

Gbrebes thanks for the clicking on picture tip that's a new one for me.

spec.

bore 3.25
stroke 3.75
cc 500=+
weight 100lbs yes 100lbs all steel crankcase and heavy flywheels

This should make for a low idel THUMPER.
I have no blueprint for this engine sorry.
I don't plan on building these and selling them . It would cost way to much. Tom

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I think that if you are going to make a frame,tank exc,exc then go with a Sears or Dayton, they're not too many Tributes built under these brand names and if your going to do a BTR a Thor would suite the engine well as well as the very rare Comet (similar to a Flying Merkel in style only a beige in color) Here are pic's of a Miniapolise(hoever it's spelled?) and a Peerless just to tingle the brain

Attachments

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
The minneapolis also has a cruiser model, same big single cylinder as the btr truckd posted. But the cruiser model is a deep maroon/reddish color with gold accents...

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
crazy horse I like your idea of my own brand this way I can do my own thing.
I guess I should have written that formula down darn it Tom