! PFFST ! Phoenix Felt Four Stroke Twin :)

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
To diferentiate myself from the other Felt Twin 4 stroke build going on ummm; This ones in Phoenix... I have had a burning desire to build a Felt aluminum frame bike since discovering my first clue RE motorized bicycles specifically; Phantom bikes 1903 builds. Well: I was all set to do a 1903 and went to looking for one. None to be had in Phoenix at the time. BUT! Tempe Bikes had a very nice Twin on the floor, I kept going back to look at it and fell in lust. Here she is before the slow transformation began.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
My plan is to motorize with a HS 49cc and EZM trans. I already had a EZM that had been converted to BELT drive purchased from Chainmaker ( thanks again Chain ) This was originally slated for my unfinished Flying Scotsman builld but Im still vasilating on what motor to change out to on that one. So I needed a motor for the Twin, which I aquired from azbill via Quenton ( thank you guys) While waitng for parts I decided to follow the original theme of the Felt designers: A 1960's or so Triumph 750 vert twin in bicycle form. Decided I needed a license plate holder to both protect the flimsy aluminum back "license" from accedents and to extend the theme some what. I aquired off ebay a reproduction Vincent tail light and converted it to LED bulbs with a simple bulb swap from Superbright LED's http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ction=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/67.htm#photos I got the ones with 15 LED's as they illuminate in all directions and cant draw that much more power. The upper will be red and the lower will be white to shine on the plate and light it up at night. I hand crafted a license / lamp holder for the rear fender out of steel, then proceded to botch the paint job... A friend who has a body shop shot if for free as a favor in black. Pic's of the finished product to follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I was confused by the options for my wide crank. In my research people kept saying; just use what comes in the "kit" but Im not using a proper kit. I went with the wide shaft from Phantom Bikes. While I was at it I ordered a motor mount ( billit aluminum and beautiful ) and a glass pack exhaust which also was top notch! I got all black with black heat wrap in the header. Pics eventually. http://phantom-bikes.com/shop/parts/custom-parts/ Here you can see how wide and well made the shaft is. Came in black and all my stock fittings from the TWIN match right up. Unfortunatly Phantom doesnt sell seprate crank arms so I had to get the bundle from bicycle engines.cam. The stock pedles didnt look right for a vintage inspired buildl so I got some reflectorless knobby block style off the bay. Im likeing it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The "sweetheart" sproket is a 38 toother also off ebay. Stock is 44. When it arrived it was all chrome and I was disapointed... Thats not how it looked in the listing, but photographing chrome can be tricky. SOOO, I decided to make it look exactly like the pic in the auction. I used a bit of auto painting masking tape and covered a ring around the thing. ( rhymes :) ) and shot it with some gloss black rustolium after blasting it with brake cleaner. Now its a BLACKHEART!!! Came out perfect! I did the same with the sproket on the Scotsman build and its held up well

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Taking a tip from Bairdco I decided to make sure my teeth and face remain where they are by reinforcing the front fender. If you wondering why? Read the sticky HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14032 1 L bracket from Ace HW and a few fancy nuts and bolts and a squirt of gloss black. The isolater is a piece of a plain new mouse pad I bought for the purpose of cushioning stuff just like this. ( Yes, I used Locktite blue )

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
!!!! MOTOR !!!! Ugh! whatamassive beast! laff Well: Actually, I was excited to get it. So much so I neglected to take any pics before I stripped it down. Went out and bought bout 5 cans of brake cleaner and gave it the hose job. Masked off what I wanted to keep silver and the rest got hit with 2 coats of engine enamel. In keeping with the Triumph theme I found a Triumph top tank badge on ebay and got it. After paint ( hit the plastic cover with gloss black paint for plastic) I drilled 3 small holes and mixed up some JB Kwick weld and epoxied it in place. The holes were for the JB to form a little "button" on the other side of the plastic for a stronger bond. Hope it lasts!

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I was concerned bout getting the magneto back in place correctly; but there seems to be no effectve ignition timing on this one to screw up, and the standoff from the flywheel was the exact thickness of a buisness card I had on the bench; so I just used that as a spacer when re-assembly time came. I wanted to just increase jet size; what with the SBP air filter and the fairly open exhaust thats going on the bike, but could not find jets... The price for a good set of finger drills for jets this size cost almost as much as the medium carb and linkage from Afordable Go Karts so I just got that... and a next larger size jet if its needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Bill! Have lots more to post but am working on getting the tank final seal in today. The Dragon Blood ( Caswells ) arrived yesterday. Mabey a get togather of MB'ers at the Pavilions Hot Rod / MC show some saturday night once I have her running.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Waitng for the tank to dry after the etching process Thought I'd post a bit more. Being that Im ditching all the shrouding except for the pull start I needed to replace the space taken by the large red plastic shroud that directs air from the fan to the cylender. Another trip to Ace and I found the perfect size and got three; allowing me to re use the original studs for the pull starter. Seems to work fine.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Next decisions were handelbars and lighting. I really struggeled with this. The bars were fairly easy. I wanted to extend the old school aspect; so I bit the bullet ( or wallet) and got a pair of these off the bay. I REALLY wanted the pullback / crossbar look. I really did not like the stock ones.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Lighting was alot more time consumimg. Walking down the isle at of all places O'Riley auto parts. I found my lights! I wanted a pair of very small round bullet style chrome jobs and there they were!! Only thing was they had MR16 halogen bulbs (35W !) which would REALLY suck the power. While I dont intend to ride much at night I do want good visability on those times when I do. SOOO. Back to superbrightLED.com I cant find them on the site now but they draw about 3W each and are equivelant to ~ 30w halogen bulbes. each will be runn off their own 12v battery hidden in a bar bag. I have a Triumph patch to be sewn on to cover the Electra logo :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Heres a WARNING to anyone sealing up a felt tank. Following the Caswells instructions I etched the interior with a weak lye concentration the neutralized that with a vinegar solution. What I should have done NEXT was remove all the protective wrapping and tape. The two solutions worked their way through to the paint. ( dont panic ) I didnt do that... Lucally; my painter friend, for a nomnal fee, shot the whole frame with a fuel / solvent proof enamel clear, as I didnt want fuel spillage to funk up my paint job. May have just saved me, as I'm sure some of the lye sol made it to the paint... You can see the results here. Luckly I caught it early and salvaged the situation by some fast work with a #15 scalpel and some lacquer thinner on paper towel. Disaster narrowly averted! !

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
!!! IT BLEEDS !!! AAHHHhhh ... Memories of my Trauma and flight nursing days... Make sure you have a drop cloth under it when your done swirling the sealant around and need to dump out the excess. Looks like a decent coating from here but the inspection camera will tell the tail once its hardened up some.

Attachments

Last edited: