Can't fit assembly back into carb

GoldenMotor.com

AnneAbuse

Jan 31, 2012
H**l'sBackyard, AZ
Somebody borrowed my spooky and the throttle cable snapped. They brought me a different cable that was was from a different bike and still all connected to the pin assembly/barrel/slide/cap so I traded out the one I had . Problem is now I can't get the barrel back into the carb! The one I traded out that came out of my carb was put onto a different bike and sold so I can't just trade it back. It seems like the barrel/slide is just a little too big to slide down into the carb. There is a lip (super tiny/thin) that is about 1 cm down from the top of the carb that it just won't slide past. I've seen a suggestion on here to sand it (the barrel not the actual inside of the carb) to make it fit which goes along with my first thought to whip out the file....This is a Zoom 66cc. Any ideas?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Sounds like you have a barrel out of a 'Speed Carb', eh? The speed carb is a couple mm's larger than the stock NT. I've read about the opposite,(putting a stock barrel in a speed) causing crazy idles.

Don't know if I'd want to take a file to it(the barrel), but maybe mount it in a drill somehow and spin it on a sanding block, so it stays uniform... or close enough to uniform. :p

If you take too much off, that'll give you crazy idle troubles.

But all of the above is moot if it is the proper barrel, and your carb is weird... wait for others to chime in before taking out the file :p

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Anne: I've had simillar problems. I was able to carefully lube the slide with bicycle chain lube and it seemed to work. Carefull not to use too much, I don't think you want that mixed with your gas. White lightning all conditions is what I used.

AnneAbuse

Jan 31, 2012
H**l'sBackyard, AZ
@killercanuck I think you were right! The "plunger" came out of a CNS carb and I am using a stock NT carb. Not sure how crappy the other motor is running but I have someone on their way over with a new plunger now. Thanks for the ideas guys!