The "Red Hornet", a slightly different twist

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Some of you have asked me to post photos of my build. Hurricane Irene pre-empted that for a while, but now things are getting back to normal, so here goes. The bike started out with a Grubee 66 cc engine and no front brake (1st photo). I got tired of oil spraying on my left shoe from the exhaust so I shifted to a 4-stroker with Stage III gearbox (2nd photo) I couldn't stop the darned thing so I added a front disc brake (3rd photo). The cruiser forks flexed under braking................................you get the drift. It's been a work in progress for months and now I think she's finally finished, at least for a while. Please let me know if you want detailed specs. and let me know what you think. I'm hoping Pee Wee and Fred would be proud!!!!

More photos are available at:

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee501/scootmeister/

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Love the stick shifter. Is it a 3 spd? My style preferences are a little different from yours, but I really admire the fabrication and many details you put into it.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I was thinkin' that maybe I had seen PeeWee on that bike before ;-)
That is one very nice build. I can tell it is a blast to ride.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hey Nunyabidness, yeh it's a hoot! The problem is most folks around here have not seen a MB before, so I am constantly being stopped with the usual questions, "what brand is that? How does it work? How fast will it go? Where is your tag?" Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like it. I'm sure Pee Wee would!!!

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks,, Anim8r. I'm glad you like it. I put an insane amount of time in the fabricated parts, my wife thinks I went a little over the top with the amount of time I spent in the garage! I started my next build today, unfortunately the salt water from Irene's storm surge fried the bearings in my lower unit, so it's disassemble time. BTW, checked out your bike, I like the red cables and red air cleaner cover. Does the blackened engine run cooler?

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
no idea, really...this is my first project. I think I'm hooked though, & I hope my next project is 1/4 as cool as yours. Seriously--I think the Red Hornet's my favorite on the whole site so far.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hi Anim8r. That's pretty high praise coming from another builder. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm taking a totally different track on this next one. I started taking the Stiletto apart yesterday and realized I don't have the right tools to do this properly. The bottom bracket requires a special socket to remove the bearing cups. I checked with my local bike shop and was shocked at how much the tools cost. Anyway, I can't decide whether to go with a 66cc Chinagirl or my Hueng Sheng 4-stroke. Would like to find a good used Honda, they are hard to come by. It's too bad someome hasn't come up with a 50cc bolt-on with built in magneto for lights. Every moped has one, it's not that complicated. I see some of the vendors are offering an add-on manetos for Chinagirls like yours, but they are getting mixed reviews. The Briggs and Kohler engines with built-in stators work like a charm. My Whizzer magneto charges the battery, drives lights, horn, and turn signals. Anyway, our hobby is under development, maybe in time. Take care

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thought you might like to check out my latest build. It's a Giant Stiletto with a 66cc Chinagirl and lots of OCC parts. It's still a work in progress needing a headlight, horn, and lots of loctite!