Bike no sparky

GoldenMotor.com

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Okay, so.. I recently finished my second project. It was running fine for a couple days after I adjusted the float level, etc. It stopped getting spark all of a sudden when I was running down the road at WOT at about 33 or 34. It fired a couple more times as I lost speed.. Then I tried to start it back and as I peddled it would fire every now and then, and then it stopped completely. I have pulled apart and checked out the magneto wires and ground. I soddered the wires all together and disconnected the kill switch wires to be sure that wasn't the problem. I have changed the plug wire.. Still no spark. Any suggestions? .spr. :crash:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Okay, so.. I recently finished my second project. It was running fine for a couple days after I adjusted the float level, etc. It stopped getting spark all of a sudden when I was running down the road at WOT at about 33 or 34. It fired a couple more times as I lost speed.. Then I tried to start it back and as I peddled it would fire every now and then, and then it stopped completely. I have pulled apart and checked out the magneto wires and ground. I soddered the wires all together and disconnected the kill switch wires to be sure that wasn't the problem. I have changed the plug wire.. Still no spark. Any suggestions? .spr. :crash:
You must of missed something...Compression?? If it won't fire (spark to the plug) then its either the kill switch (which you disconnected), wired wrong after soldering, bad coil, a bad CDI, or a short to ground.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
You must of missed something...Compression?? If it won't fire (spark to the plug) then its either the kill switch (which you disconnected), wired wrong after soldering, bad coil, a bad CDI, or a short to ground.
Maybe I need to pull the head back off and give it a look. Not the kill switch.. It is wired correctly...pretty hard to mess up.. Maybe my CDI went bad? but I wouldn't expect it to so quickly..I have only put 20 miles on the bike. I'll get my tester out in the morning..

Its not like its a complicated motor..just thought I might have overlooked something obvious..

Change the spark plug? I recommend an NGK B6HS or B7HS.

Tried the 2 cheap plugs that came with it along with 2 champion plugs that I picked up at TSC. Its not the plug.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I still need help.. I replaced the CDI with a new one and it still didn't fire.. Pulled the head off for inspection.. Everything looks fine..and its all wet so it is getting fuel.. The wiring is correct.. The kill switch is still disconnected.. Everything is soddered.

Does this look right?

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Before you do that, rotate the piston to TDC, and send a picture like the one you posted. What is the white wire hooked up to, if it is.

I already ordered it. The white wire is hooked to nothing at all on the external end and it is hooked to the bottom of the coil as pictured. I'll rotate it to TDC tomorrow and snap a pic. What is it you are looking for?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I already ordered it. The white wire is hooked to nothing at all on the external end and it is hooked to the bottom of the coil as pictured. I'll rotate it to TDC tomorrow and snap a pic. What is it you are looking for?
Is the end of the white wire insulated so it can't touch anything metal?
It should be.
Tom

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Looking to see if the engine in in time.
Haven't had time to do so yet.. But I will.. What position should the magneto be in when the piston is at TDC if it is in time?

These things need timing marks...

99% of the time when there is truely NO SPARK, it's the mag-coil at fault. :(
Its on order and should be here in a couple days. Hopefully this is the problem, although I am unsure what would have shot it other than vibrations.. It hasn't got wet or anything.. There was no condensation buildup.. and the bicycle probably had 30 miles max on it..

Is the end of the white wire insulated so it can't touch anything metal?
It should be.
Tom

Yes.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I completely remove mine, and trash. Also re solder the blue wire. Eliminates cold solder joints.
I would remove it, but as soon as the bike is running again..whenever that may be, I have some flexible l.e.d. strips (for looks) that are going to be placed on the bicycle around the engine. I would never do such a thing to my sportbike though..

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Yes!! I'm just assuming that he made a accurate diagnosis about having bad electronics & it's not a different problem such as a broken key. ;)

You were right. Twas the mag coil.. Replaced it and fired in place simply by picking up the bike and a quick turn of the rear wheel.

I owe you guys one..

I also went ahead and installed a green led strip under the gas tank for some added visibility and then my head and taillights.

Yes.. My CDI is velcroed on and holds just fine.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on your repair!

It failed because it was made in China for use with these engine kits. No joke, no intent of slander towards China. The solder connections are typically done "cold" wherein they melt the solder onto the connections rather than get the parts hot enough to properly melt the solder and get a good mechanical/ electrical bond. On the flip side of that, sometimes they get the parts too hot which causes the parts to oxidize before the solder has a chance to bond to the surfaces and that too causes a poor mechanical/ electrical connection.

Quality control is still something that they seem to be learning about.
Unless the actual wire wrappings are damaged, most mags can be repaired easily enough by re-soldering them.

I like your green alien looking accessory lighting. It definitely should get you seen easier at night.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Congratulations on your repair!

It failed because it was made in China for use with these engine kits. No joke, no intent of slander towards China. The solder connections are typically done "cold" wherein they melt the solder onto the connections rather than get the parts hot enough to properly melt the solder and get a good mechanical/ electrical bond. On the flip side of that, sometimes they get the parts too hot which causes the parts to oxidize before the solder has a chance to bond to the surfaces and that too causes a poor mechanical/ electrical connection.

Quality control is still something that they seem to be learning about.
Unless the actual wire wrappings are damaged, most mags can be repaired easily enough by re-soldering them.

I like your green alien looking accessory lighting. It definitely should get you seen easier at night.
I will probably look over the mag coil tomorrow to see exactly where the connection burnt or broke. I honestly probably should have just done that in the first place... but sometimes its easier just to spend $15 when you don't have the time.

As far as the lights go. Thankya kindly sir..

For $1.43 I figured worse case scenario is I throw it away.. but the leds were surprisingly well made and in a nice thick plastic flexible strip.

24 LED Strip Motorcycle/Car Lights Flexible Grill Light | eBay