Gas Tank Brackets

GoldenMotor.com

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
the brackets that hold my gastank to my bike have broken twice. the first set seemed like a real cheap metal. the second set my friend made out of this long metal he had to bend with a tool and drill holes into. the second time only the back one on the right side broke.
anyone else have a problem like this and solve it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try mounting the tank to the top bar with a resilient material like an old innertube. It sounds like you're overtightening the mounts. I like to use a double sided tape on the tank and top bar to hold the tank in place then the mounting straps and nuts don't have to be tightened so much. Overtightening of fasteners is one of the biggest problems with these 2 stroke kits and causes folks a lot of headaches.
Try the doublesided tape method. I think you'll be pleased. I use the thick cushoined type but others use the thin, high strength tape. Either one is better than relying on the metal to metal straps and nuts.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
4 days and no response from the OP. Do you ever feel like you're spinning your wheels giving advice to people who won't respond?
Tom

fortytwo

Aug 15, 2011
Bay area, CA
I'm facing the same problem but can't quite visualize what you mean with the double-sided tape and the old inner-tube...do you have a picture or a diagram?

It seems like extending the bolts might be the easiest way to go, I was planning on padding the tank by putting some cut-up handlebar grips between the tank and the frame.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your local hardware store/home improvement center for the double sided tape( has adhesive on both sides) I've always preferred the thick cushoined type. Sometimes it's called "carpet seam tape". Whatever, just apply it to the top bar then position the tank where it should go and snug down on the clamps.
If your top bar is too big to accept the clamps you'll have to fabricate larger clamps.

The tape will hold the tank in place and act as a back-up to the kit supplied parts but you'll need both. I wouldn't suggest relying on just the tape alone.
Tom

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Let me be the first to respond to your question.

YES.
I can understand your frustration, been there myself on other forums. But please don't stop! There is such a treasure trove of information on here from great people like you. I'm sure (hope) that many others feel this way too. I personally want to thank all of you, for making this community what it is. When I know/learn more, I plan on giving it back to all I can!

.bld.

Peace, James

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
I used a different method to mount my gas tank. I took the time when putting my bike together to get this taken care of from the get go. OK first I got four one inch wide flat fender washers. they fit the tank studs perfectly in the center and have an over hang to allow for a good area to grab ahold of or loop around. Next Second I grinded the edges of all four washers to have a flat straight edge so the flat edge can go arround/grab the lower portion of the bikes tubing.

THIRD put the washers on the studs and use a dab of lock tite and set the nuts to the studs just started on the end of the studs the washers now dangle around freely.

FOURTH go to autozone and get a package of springs the HELP brand. The ones I'm talking about are an assortment of auto type clutch pedal release/return springs and they have a long straight unwinded portion of the spring thats what I used to make a looped end. Set these up with medium tension and in a criss/cross pattern.

FIFTH Now I used a piece of Industrial covering but get yourself a piece of foam or rubber to make a good vibration resistant means of protecting your tank from your frame.

Now I just have to get the bike running.

TNX

fortytwo

Aug 15, 2011
Bay area, CA
I used a different method to mount my gas tank. I took the time when putting my bike together to get this taken care of from the get go. OK first I got four one inch wide flat fender washers. they fit the tank studs perfectly in the center and have an over hang to allow for a good area to grab ahold of or loop around. Next Second I grinded the edges of all four washers to have a flat straight edge so the flat edge can go arround/grab the lower portion of the bikes tubing.

THIRD put the washers on the studs and use a dab of lock tite and set the nuts to the studs just started on the end of the studs the washers now dangle around freely.

FOURTH go to autozone and get a package of springs the HELP brand. The ones I'm talking about are an assortment of auto type clutch pedal release/return springs and they have a long straight unwinded portion of the spring thats what I used to make a looped end. Set these up with medium tension and in a criss/cross pattern.

FIFTH Now I used a piece of Industrial covering but get yourself a piece of foam or rubber to make a good vibration resistant means of protecting your tank from your frame.

Now I just have to get the bike running.

TNX
Would love to see some pictures of this! Got any?

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
nope no pics no need. they allowed the tank to still flop over. I made straps with hose clamps and some of the hardware from the springs idea.

still not running got comp no spark yet.

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
I will see If I can get a pick of the current way I have mounted the gas tank using hose clamps (they are temporary). I'm running now and this thing is soo got me geeking out now on ideas to make it better/roadworthy.

cheers too all
.flg.