Q-Matic Belt Drive details

GoldenMotor.com
EZM has invested 2.5 years of designing and manufacturing motorbike drive systems and we thought many might enjoy the research involved in the process.

Although we agree the Q-Matic drive looks simple, and basic, however it is far more than meets the eye. Many important details were needed to make it work correctly, such as pulley size, belt selection, drive ratios, belt length, center to center distance, belt tension, bearing choice, torque transfer rates, belt life, bearing life, operating temperature, clutch choice, ticking speed, engagement speeds, cost, & serious testing to mention a few.

I will post links that detail a small portion of the design items that had to be considered in designing the Q-Matic.

DANotes: V-belt drives: Introduction

DANotes: V-belt drives: Kinetics and fatigue

Have fun,

Not sure why this informational post was move to Swap & Shop.

It was intended to pass along important information concerning belt & pulley designs, however I guess in Swap and Shop we should pass along price information.

The Q-Matic drive retails for $269.75 and will fit hundreds of 4-stroke motors. We can custom design the drive to fit a large selection of motors ranging from 1.6 HP to 10 HP.

Have fun,

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Why doesn't your website show any photos of your Q-matic drive? I know that you use dealers to handle retail sales, but why don't you have close up photos on your site to show your product? I don't mean to sound rude, but this is an honest question for a business like yours where you need to differentiate yourself from competitors.

Erich

Hi Erich 870,

We try to avoid publishing details about our drive, however our dealer network can supply all the information requested to possible customers.

So many have tryed to copy our drive, and several Chinese companys have actually told me direct they plan to rip off our design [so far they went down another path].

We just don't think it fair to do all the design work, work out all the details for manufactoring, invest a lot of money, and someone just "steal" our work.

If we publish in detail and suppy a lot of pictures, we just make it easier for the "copy cats".

With a little research [on this site] you will find pictures of various versions of our drive posted by both customers and Dealers. And if you want to email me direct, email any dealer, call me, call any dealer, we will answer any questions concerning the Q-Matic or our 2 speed we are testing. You are welcome to PM your phone number, or email address and I will happily contact you.

Even though a few companies have made drives that suddently look very very close to the Q-Matic, investment costs have stopped many in the U.S., but that won't be the case if made in China...........

Have fun,

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Hi Erich 870,

We try to avoid publishing details about our drive, however our dealer network can supply all the information requested to possible customers.

So many have tryed to copy our drive, and several Chinese companys have actually told me direct they plan to rip off our design [so far they went down another path].

We just don't think it fair to do all the design work, work out all the details for manufactoring, invest a lot of money, and someone just "steal" our work.

If we publish in detail and suppy a lot of pictures, we just make it easier for the "copy cats".

With a little research [on this site] you will find pictures of various versions of our drive posted by both customers and Dealers. And if you want to email me direct, email any dealer, call me, call any dealer, we will answer any questions concerning the Q-Matic or our 2 speed we are testing. You are welcome to PM your phone number, or email address and I will happily contact you.

Even though a few companies have made drives that suddently look very very close to the Q-Matic, investment costs have stopped many in the U.S., but that won't be the case if made in China...........

Have fun,
That makes sense to me. I had wondered if fear that your design would be ripped off was why the only photos are from customers. I assume filing for patents is too expensive or unreliable due to the China copy cats?

I guess your direction is the only way to keep copy cats down. It's unfortunate that you have to be so secretive. :(

Erich