4 stroke break in procedure?

GoldenMotor.com

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Fix the problem is what you're supposed to do. Engines will run fine when the mixture is too rich. Running it that way it's not going to be easy to tell when you've got it too rich, especially if you're a novice with engines.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
well i have to? it wont run with the choke off, it bogs and stalls, but think about it, if the carb is tuned way to lean then with me choking it it should bring it back to normal mixture, besides i put 100kms on it so far and it runs mint! what else am i supposed to do?
Fix it. Running with the choke on is a band-aide at best, and going to ruin your engine at worst. Running with the choke on instead of correcting the carb problem will as stated above wash oil from cylinder walls, contaminate your oil, and generally ruin the fucntion of the oil in as little as a few minutes.

What's the problem with fixing it properly?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Fix it. Running with the choke on is a band-aide at best, and going to ruin your engine at worst. Running with the choke on instead of correcting the carb problem will as stated above wash oil from cylinder walls, contaminate your oil, and generally ruin the fucntion of the oil in as little as a few minutes.

What's the problem with fixing it properly?

i will get to fixing it soon, but i highly doubt running with the choke will "wash the oil off the walls" if anything its running it more rich,

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Does you oil turn black and smell like gas after a short run? I think you said you changed it about five times already, what did it look like each time?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You "highly doubt it"? Is that a scientific measurement? ;)
no, just intuition, i am going to get it fixed, but right now i have school, work, sleep, repeat, no time to stop and work, and ive got my hands full with the gearbox, its running great as is, i can run it without the choke but it bogs and i have no power, so it needs to be tuned, i will get to it this weekend, but as for now its running, and the engine is the least of my worries(with the hoot and all.)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Does you oil turn black and smell like gas after a short run? I think you said you changed it about five times already, what did it look like each time?
i changed the oil twice, the first time it was blackish but still dark honey coloured, second time it was still light honey looking, but darker than new, i didnt notice any gas smell,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
will take your words to heart though, you are the "Godfather of Motorized Bicycles"

i asked around the net, the majority said that the choke is there to get your engine to run right, and you should set the choke as low as possible, if half choke is where it runs best, then run it,

but i do want to run it without choke, im going to work on it, i just cant stop everything im doing to do it now, but thanks for the advice,

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
do the carb adjustment I linked to earlier...it will only take a couple minutes :)
then the choke should only be needed to start the engine (it is needed to prime the carb)

good luck :)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
because I don't want to send people there, but I do send them here ;)
I copied the info Quenton posted re: adjusting the HS (used by EZM) carburetor

''Adjusting the EZM carburetor

In order to adjust the carburetor it is necessary to warm the motor up first. The motor should have at least 5 minutes running time before any adjustments are made.

On the left side of the carburetor near the front is the idle mixture screw.

On the EZM motor the idle mixture screw is a fuel adjustment, not an air adjustment.

Simply adjust the screw for maximum idle, and then turn the screw approx 1/16" counter-clockwise [slightly rich].

Check the throttle response, and adjust the mixture if there is a hesitation. Turn screw clockwise if it "bulks" and then catches on [rich], or adjust screw counter-clockwise if it accelerates and then drops off quickly [lean].

More information.........

The average setting is 2 turns out [1.75 ~ 2.25 turns]

Have fun,

I hope that helps !!!

allpurposeoil

Nov 10, 2009
White Bear lake, MN
do u cover that oil to keep it from getting dirt in it if ur storing it used ????

as far as the oil being black after such a short usage period makes me curious what type of oil and filters ur using ???

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
To allpurposeoil, Filters? On a motorized bicycle? Well guys, here is the challenge, put on your thinking caps, and try to name even ONE motorized bicycle made from about 1920 to date which had oil filters. I for one cannot think of even one Motor bicycle that has ever had a filter, after all we would need to have an oil pump to successfully use a filter?

Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
To allpurposeoil, Filters? On a motorized bicycle? Well guys, here is the challenge, put on your thinking caps, and try to name even ONE motorized bicycle made from about 1920 to date which had oil filters. I for one cannot think of even one Motor bicycle that has ever had a filter, after all we would need to have an oil pump to successfully use a filter?

Mike

I think it was a fair question.

Assume the (new) member has little or no experience with engines/bikes/mechanical things in general?
There are a lot of those folks here, and they go on (hopefully) to learn and become know it all's, like us.