Carb gas inlet fell out, bike started 4 stroking!

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
I have a speed carb, and the other day when i was riding the little brass hose barb that the fuel line goes onto completely fell out of the carb case! At the time i didn't think it would be an issue, so i just tapped it back into the carb, reattached my fuel line and started riding home, but the engine started 4 stroking really bad at above 3/4 throttle. I had the carb absolutely dialed in before the hose barb fell out, and i cannot think of any reason why that would change way the engine runs!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That brass nipple is also the float needle valve seat. And the nipple threads into the carburetor body. Tapping it back into place wasn't the best way to put it back in. If it isn't installed to the correct depth the float valve isn't shutting off the flow of fuel when it's supposed to and you're flooding the engine with excess fuel.

Tom

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
2door, Thank you so much! The brass nipple on my carb doesn't screw in, it has no threads whatsoever on it. It is perfectly smooth all the way around. But now that i know that it is the valve seat i can adjust it somehow to get my carb back to normal.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's a new one on me. I've never seen a pressed in seat/nipple like yours. They typically screw in and there's a little red gasket too. Hmmm.
I Learn something new every day around here. Maybe someone else has run into this and can offer a permanent fix.
Good luck with it LB.

Tom

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
I had some time to work on my bike today, and i fixed the carb problem. It was a simple matter of threading the nipple and the carb body, adjusting it so that it was running properly, and a drop of superglue on the threads to seal it and keep it from moving.