2 stroke 80cc bike....having trouble

GoldenMotor.com

VinnyR101

Oct 7, 2015
Dickson City, PA
I found this forum specifically so I can find tips and tricks on how to bet my engine to run better....right this second I can't get it to start...but when I do get it started it will not idle...I can get it to run fine with the choke lever open but when I close the choke lever it doesn't idle, it just wants to take off and when I pull the throttle a bit the engine sounds like its flooding and wants to shut off...also yesterday It was over heating on my way to work so I had to turn around...right now I am recovering from cancer and this bike is my only way to and from work...the bike worked perfectly last week and now it does not want to work right at all...like I said...I can get it to run and go with the throttle when the choke is open...but it won't idle when the choke is closed like it was...if anyone can help please get back to me...I am in some serious need of help

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Which carb do you have? I'll assume NT. When you say the choke is "closed", do you mean the lever is slid all the way down? I ask this since the behavior you describe indicates that your concept of open-choke and closed-choke are reversed.

If it is all the way down...and OPEN, and this is when your engine is racing...plus the fact you'd indicated your engine overheated...I suspect that you have an air-leak. Make sure your carb is properly seated on the intake, and it's securely attached. Also be sure that there are no leaks between the intake and the cylinder.

You'd mentioned that your engine was running fine last-week. How's the weather down there? Sometimes major atmospheric pressure changes can affect performance and you'll need to adjust your carb-needle accordingly.

Please give us a little more detail.

VinnyR101

Oct 7, 2015
Dickson City, PA
i literally just changed the position on the pin and it started right up...with the choke lever down...and I can get it to idle with the choke lever up but it seems to be idling high...and there are no air leaks that I can tell...and the weather around here has been shifting from warm to cool quite rapidly...I can only get the throttle to work when the choke lever is down and when I put the choke lever up and use the throttle it seems its flooding and wants to stop running...but also when the choke lever is up I can pull the clutch and it will idle but again it seems that the idle is high...right now I do just have a stock NT carb...but I do have another slightly different carb on the way but I need this one to work at least for now...I just took it around the block a few times and the throttle is working and I can gain speed rather quickly...but again...having idle problems

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Vinny. I hope we can help you. Check your private message box. I just sent you a note.

The choke should only be used when starting a cold engine. After the engine starts and runs for a few moments the choke should be open, lever down, all other times. The choke closes off the air inlet to the carburetor which produces a rich air/fuel mix that makes starting easier.

From your symptoms it sounds like an air (vacuum) leak. This is a common problem and can usually be traced to a carburetor that isn't sealed well where it attches to the intake manifold or the manifold gasket where it meets the cylinder is bad. There are other areas like crankshaft seals that can cause the problems you describe but lets start with the simple things first.

As for installing a new carburetor, you need to master the stock one first and get the engine to run correctly before starting to add parts. I doubt that there is anything wrong with your stock carb.
Did you build this bike or purchase it from someone?

Tom

VinnyR101

Oct 7, 2015
Dickson City, PA
I bought the motor kit and installed it with help from my step brother...I did have to slightly modify my bike to get it to fit correctly...but it does fit...the thing i'm worried about is to get it to idle correctly...any tips you have will be a big help...and I will double and triple check for air leaks

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i literally just changed the position on the pin and it started right up...with the choke lever down...and I can get it to idle with the choke lever up but it seems to be idling high...and there are no air leaks that I can tell...s
You have it backwards.

If you have the choke up as in on, your motor should quickly die.
That is the test for an ait leak.
How are you sealing the carb to the intake tube? This is where your air leak is.

You start your motor with the lever up,
then drive and idle with the lever down.

Take the air cleaner off to see how the choke lever blocks the air coming into the carb to enrichen the mix for starting.