Just looking for a little info on an engine.

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I have a chance to pick up a Lifan 97cc from a doodlebug. I have checked out the Lifans and they seem to be about the same as the predators. This guy is selling this engine with the clutch that came with a doodlebug minibike.
My question is, is this pretty much the same as what is being used for motorized bikes. I am about to start a build on a early 1940's schwinn DX 24" and want to try the four stroke rout.
I already have done the two stroke so a newbie on the 4 stroke. He wants 90. for engine and clutch shipped. Is this a good deal? what are the drawbacks with this engine. I will post photo's of the schwinn once that is in. very stoked on getting this going.
Thanks for all and any info on this.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
The Lifan doodlebug motor is an old style that is a side valve, or as we Americans say, flat head. Lifan has replaced this with a 79cc ohv that still makes 2 1/2 hp due to better breathing. You can have a brand new one for $120 from Home Depot, free shipping. Some like the flatties for their old school look and they are a couple inches shorter. I have some research that says Lifan makes many of the predictor engines. They are all Honda knock-offs.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Thanks for the info. Love the name Moto Pope. Do you know anything about the clutch that comes with the stock engine? If these are any good, do they even work with motorized bikes or how they stack up against other options.

Thanks,
Kevin

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I believe that most of those used a comet clutch, which is a good one, if it is not worn out. The problems you might run against would be final drive ratio (mini bikes have a big gear and small wheels) and what you want as far as torque and top end speed. The other problem would be stall speed. That small engine probably needs a higher rpm launch for a motorized bicycle as opposed to a mini bike. You will need some sort of jack shaft to transfer power between clutch and rear wheel. Use the search feature on this forum to find just about anything concerning these factors. Good luck.