Headlight - S14 - 1200 Lumens

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Just in time for Daylight Savings Time! A little wacky perhaps, but it makes sense as the weather warms people will ride later - and don't forget those morning rides - ah heck really a nice bright light like this will make you more visible any time of day!!

Seriously these are bright - a high power LED light fitted with Cree XM-L U2 LEDs. Don't let our low price compared to other online retailers fool you, this is a solid reliable unit.

Read all the details here:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=166

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
My understanding is that it is a well made light but (yup, I'm that guy) referencing the Cree XM-L data sheet, the U2 bin is rated at 300lm minimum at 700mA (the 100% reference). If the LED is driven to 3.0 A, the rated max the output is 325% of minimum or 975lm. Pretty darn bright from a near point source emitter but not 1200lm.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXML.pdf

Want to know exactly how much output it has? I would be glad to test it in our $25K integrating sphere for free. I'll even send it back at my expense.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If the light only puts out 600 Lumens, it's certainly worth the cost and nearly as bright as the sun ;) 1200 Lumens would be searing :eek:

I think I might just invest in one of these......

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Please do and let us know how it works for you. I might do the same. As I mentioned in my post, my understanding is that it is well made. I am just saying the output claims are not supported. 600 maybe even 800lm and that would be pretty killer so why not just say that? Is the 1200lm a pulsed (strobed) output and way over driven for a very short period? I've tested quite a few XM-L LEDs and they are very good in applications like this but I've never measured one over 950lm.

boredtracker

Feb 7, 2012
Slackramento,CA
I have this unit on my bike.don't know about lumen claims...I can say that it is stupid bright.and I'm satisfied.best light for the buck...installed it in an old carbide lamp.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My understanding is that it is a well made light but (yup, I'm that guy) referencing the Cree XM-L data sheet, the U2 bin is rated at 300lm minimum at 700mA (the 100% reference). If the LED is driven to 3.0 A, the rated max the output is 325% of minimum or 975lm. Pretty darn bright from a near point source emitter but not 1200lm.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXML.pdf

Want to know exactly how much output it has? I would be glad to test it in our $25K integrating sphere for free. I'll even send it back at my expense.
We only claim what the manufacturer claims. It's probably similar to what people claim with electric motors, or 80cc engines. I don't mind changing the claim but then - what we are the only seller claiming the TRUE output? Refreshing yes - but folks will gravitate to light with "1200lumens" not the light with "1000lumens, trust us it's the truth".

If you want it tested, shoot us your particulars and we could send one for testing.

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I have one of these lights they are super bright almost blinding . I use mine on low and it is still bright . It is a good solid built light for the money.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the response Pablo and for taking my feedback as I intended it. Personally I believe SBP gets a great deal of its business based on a reputation for service and quality product. I know that's why I buy from you. I suspect that an ad with the lumen claims in the text that qualify those claims as those of the supplier would take the burden off SBP. Still, it would be nice to have measured data in a drawer someplace (I will send an electronic copy actually) incase a lighting nerd like me pops up.

PM with my information sent.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Pablo! Just so that anyone else watching the thread knows, I like the light enough that I bought it instead of shipping it back.

I really love what I do for a living. It's not often that I can contribute on that level on this forum and it has certainly been a pleasure dealing with SBP on this.