carburetor keeps flooding??????

GoldenMotor.com

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
I have a 2011 grubee skyhawk gt5 angel fire slant head 66cc with a cns carburetor the down tube or leak tube on my carburetor is spitting out gas i can understand a drip but its like draining out i've taken it apart looked at it all floats are good jets are clean and needle valve is fine it just seems like the gas is constantly running into the carb also they sent me a clutch cable that binds up so i cant make the bike idle once it starts i have to keep giving it gas to go or it'll die would a standard brake cable for a bike work and if u could help me figure out y the carb keeps flooding i haven't adjusted the pins inside the throttle like move it up or down can that effect how much gas is being put in it rides at about a 15° angle no matter how i place it on the intake tube even changing it to a larger side shifted intake tube it sits at about 15° also it will only run at full choke everytime i try to bring the choke down the engine looses power and unless i quick choke it again will die i've adjusted the choke cable everything i just think the fuel line is pumping way to much gas in constantly is there a way to slow down the amount of gas being pushed through the carb

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have a 2011 grubee skyhawk gt5 angel fire slant head 66cc with a cns carburetor the down tube or leak tube on my carburetor is spitting out gas i can understand a drip but its like draining out i've taken it apart looked at it all floats are good jets are clean and needle valve is fine it just seems like the gas is constantly running into the carb also they sent me a clutch cable that binds up so i cant make the bike idle once it starts i have to keep giving it gas to go or it'll die would a standard brake cable for a bike work and if u could help me figure out y the carb keeps flooding i haven't adjusted the pins inside the throttle like move it up or down can that effect how much gas is being put in it rides at about a 15° angle no matter how i place it on the intake tube even changing it to a larger side shifted intake tube it sits at about 15° also it will only run at full choke everytime i try to bring the choke down the engine looses power and unless i quick choke it again will die i've adjusted the choke cable everything i just think the fuel line is pumping way to much gas in constantly is there a way to slow down the amount of gas being pushed through the carb
Gas draining out tells me that the needle and seat is defective, or you need to adjust the float. The needle and seat can be checked out by removing the carburetor, draining, and holding it upside down, blow lightly into the fuel supply tube. You shouldn't be able to blow through it.

Choke?? Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere.

Where is the cable binding? At the attachment point on the engine. or in the sheath itself. May want to remove the cable, inspect for rough spots or kinks, lubricate and reinstall. If that doesn't help, there are other solutions to correct it.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
...the float/needle valve assembly is a bit finicky.
A filter in the fuel line is critical, especially on a new setup.
It will most likely take a few efforts to get the cns float valve adjusted.
...baby steps!...

With the clutch cable disconnected, assure that it moves freely within it's sheath.
It's wise to lube it before installation, because u most likely won't, on down the road, until past the time it should have been lubes! :)

Proper installation of cables allows them to flex freely.
Avoid binding them rigidly to frame members, which may crimp the sheath, or cause undue friction within the operating assembly.
A generous radius on all directional changes is far superior to tight bends.

Good luck
rc

the clutch cable mod is a great improvement... Alf sells em, if u don't want to make one!

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
Thank u i will play with the float i blew the carb out with an air compresser i day before could that of broken anything inside with the amount of air force givin off by the compresser and im not super smart with this stuff so how would i adjust the valve and the clutch cable is binding mid cable in the sheath and about quarter cable from handle bar in the sheath and the choke cable doesn't seem to be able to tighten nemore and everytime i give it the choke when i back it off the choke cable seems to stay but the choke bar backs off and could the throttle have anything to do with the flooding

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thank u i will play with the float i blew the carb out with an air compresser i day before could that of broken anything inside with the amount of air force givin off by the compresser and im not super smart with this stuff so how would i adjust the valve and the clutch cable is binding mid cable in the sheath and about quarter cable from handle bar in the sheath and the choke cable doesn't seem to be able to tighten nemore and everytime i give it the choke when i back it off the choke cable seems to stay but the choke bar backs off and could the throttle have anything to do with the flooding
On the float there is a small tab, if bent toward, the needle it will close fuel to the carburetor soomer. You may have to change the sheath, OR you might can get by with bending the crimp out. Cable has nothing with flooding. The cables need to move in the sheath smoothly, with no restriction. It should be a two float system, where the NT is like a doughnut. The tab should be centered between the 2 floats.

Attachments

Last edited:

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
Thank you i will look into the float and check see if its closing properly i think that might be a lot of my issue also i heard in the throttle we're it conects to the carb there's a 3 step pin setup we're i can move it up or down on the pins to adjust fuel richness could u tell me a little more about that and if that can have anything to do with it

Chrisflik

Apr 2, 2011
California
Hey there buddy. I'm gonna tell you a secret on how to fix that CNS carb..
You first go to your work bench put that carb in the vice tighten it as much as you possibly can. Then you go to your tool box and get the biggest hammer you got and proceed to take out your days frustration. Bang! Bang! Bang! Throw it in the garbage.
Then you go to your computer. Log on to Ebay search "knock off Dellorto carb" and order it. You should get your self some jets in the 60 range and call it a day. Ebay 35$ Trust!
I'm not trying to sell it to you.usflg

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Thank you i will look into the float and check see if its closing properly i think that might be a lot of my issue also i heard in the throttle we're it conects to the carb there's a 3 step pin setup we're i can move it up or down on the pins to adjust fuel richness could u tell me a little more about that and if that can have anything to do with it
Nothing to do with flooding, and truthfully, as little as you appear to know about carburetors. either follow the instructions in post 8, although not as extreme, or order a NT carburetor. How simple to work on...nothing simpler.

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
ok i've done all the things u guys have told me i flipped it over and tried blowing in the fuel line and there was complete closure i checked the float and pin there fine the only thing else i could think is that the kit didn't come with hose clamps for the fuel line so i placed one up at the gas tank and at the carburetor connection could that cause a pressure build up or was that a wise thing to do

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
ok i've done all the things u guys have told me i flipped it over and tried blowing in the fuel line and there was complete closure i checked the float and pin there fine the only thing else i could think is that the kit didn't come with hose clamps for the fuel line so i placed one up at the gas tank and at the carburetor connection could that cause a pressure build up or was that a wise thing to do
I doubt it, if anything else it (without clamps) would cause a leak at the fuel line connections. I don't have clamps on my lines and have no problem leaking, but I'm not running OEM fuel line.

Get yourself a better carburetor or at leads a dependable NT.

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
Well i've solved the leak i put a side shifted intake tube on but now i have a problem at that connection i know how to solve it i just need to know exact dimension of the plastic white price that sits inside the carb and attaches over the intake tube im preatty sure it creates the seal for the vaccum and clutch cable im just gunna take it out of the sheath throw it away n go pull the brake line off my other peddle bike

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The white spacer does NOT make the seal for the carb, if you look inside the carb neck you should see a black rubber seal that is inside there, THAT is the seal. You need to verify that the black seal is inside there, then when you put your carb on the intake push it back until it hits the end, then wiggle it around a bit and push it on until that last little bit of the intake seats INTO the black rubber seal. Then, while pushing the carb firmly on the intake, tighten up the screw that clamps the carb in place. The white spacer is just there for the clamping, not for the sealing.
As for your carb performance, and leakage. You might have tweaked the tab a bit on the float with compressed air depending on how hard you hit it, most likely you just need to adjust your float due to the angle your carb is sitting at. Since you have too much fuel flowing you want to bend the tab on the float so it closes the needle valve when the float is LOWER in the bowl. You might have to try a few float settings before you get things right, but its worth the tinkering. On your idle issues, keep in mind your CNS has 3 jets, the main jet, the pilot or idle jet, and the enrichment "choke" jet. The idle jet is extremely small and clogs very easily, when it is clogged the motor wont like to idle or run smoothly at lower rpm.
I wrote a longish thread about what I went through with my CNS carb, sounds like you are starting out with a very similar scenario as I had, you might want to take a little time and read through that thread, I think you will find it helpfull....
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32736&highlight=cns+carb+spacer

Last edited: