Can't Mount the engine!

GoldenMotor.com

Dutchman809

Feb 22, 2012
LA
Hey there, I started trying to mount an 40cc or 60 cc engine on a Electra cruiser. I have run into two problems so farL
1) The pedals are 2-3 inches forward compared to a normal bike, so the muffler blocks any pedaling
2) The engine does not fit because it hits the chain and teeth that the chain is cranked on.

Is there any way to move the crank and chain out? Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks all!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey there, I started trying to mount an 40cc or 60 cc engine on a Electra cruiser. I have run into two problems so farL
1) The pedals are 2-3 inches forward compared to a normal bike, so the muffler blocks any pedaling
2) The engine does not fit because it hits the chain and teeth that the chain is cranked on.

Is there any way to move the crank and chain out? Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks all!
You need to raise the engine higher on the seat tube to get clearence on the chainwheel. Then adapt the front mount by using one of the infinate methods that others here have figured out. Some of the vendors here sell adaptors too.

Might hafta bend or cut and weld to get the muff out of the way, or another option, use a wider pedal crank. You can buy, or bend your own.

Your questions have been asked here hundres of times. Use the search feature here at the top of the page, and you will find pages of answers to your problems, with plenty different choices to try for remedies to your probs.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
idea; raise the motor on frame for chain clearence,now take the cylinder off and turn it 180 ,now your carb is in front and exhaust in rear you will still need to fab up exhaust pipe.thinking about this for one of my builds,seen it done befor on this site,do a search.

Les Yee

Feb 29, 2012
Belmont, CA
Wow, the cylinder switch sounds real appealing! Would that increase airflow for the filter, as well as a direct path for the exhaust out the back. I wonder if that increases power on both counts. I still haven't figured out how to configure my SBP expansion exhaust yet--maybe this would help.

Now that you mention it, would flipping the intake manifold level out the carb? I heard that's the more important component to level-out for efficiency.

I'm just a newbie in the middle of my first/maybe only build, so pardon my speculations.

Any further insights?

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
from what i understand,not having done this myself only seen and read it on this site,it does,you also have to turn the piston 180 as well not sure why but thats what i have read.i believe 2-door turned me on to the build link befor. it may be your first build but once you get the bug it wont be your last,my first took twice as long because i never heard of this site,second was much easier,working on third build "starfire gt 2 ho"on occ.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the reason for turning the piston 180 degrees with the cylinder is because the rings will catch on the transfer ports, and break a ring.
it's not as easy as just turning the cylinder around....there's more to it than that.
think about it, if you do turn the cylinder around, the stock exhaust pipe will be bent the wrong way and it won't bolt up to the cylinder.
also, if the carb is in the front, it will be at a sever downward angle which can cause it to flood over all the time.
if you're going to go through this, you'll probably have to make a new exhaust and make a new intake...you might as well leave the engine as it is, and make a new exhaust to fit the bike.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
the reason for turning the piston 180 degrees with the cylinder is because the rings will catch on the transfer ports, and break a ring.
it's not as easy as just turning the cylinder around....there's more to it than that.
think about it, if you do turn the cylinder around, the stock exhaust pipe will be bent the wrong way and it won't bolt up to the cylinder.
also, if the carb is in the front, it will be at a sever downward angle which can cause it to flood over all the time.
if you're going to go through this, you'll probably have to make a new exhaust and make a new intake...you might as well leave the engine as it is, and make a new exhaust to fit the bike.
all true but all soooo cool looking,and from what i hear awsome performance longivity who knows.