"Cager" In The Bike Lane

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I was in my Jeep the other day, behind another Jeep, for about 5 miles. This jerk drove with his right tires in the middle of the bike lane the whole time! I have a video mount on my Jeep that faces out the windshield and really wished I had the video cam in it.

Terry

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I came up on a tour bus with a large part of it in the bike lane. As I pedalled past him at the stop light, I pounded on its side panel all the way down its length. Fortunately, I took the right @ the light, and the bus went straight.

I presume that the driver and its passenger knew what that was all about.

On a lengthy downhill ride, a few cars are very close or slightly inside the bike lane. I can't understand why, because that lane is wide enough to easily fit a Mack truck.

In my case, I think some cagers are resentful that they're gridlocked and I'm sailing past them.:-||

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
In my case this was a divided 4 lane with a 45mph speed limit. I often see people drift over to the line but they don't normally cross over and stay there.

Terry

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
bike lanes here are a joke ... 3 feet wide ... a few that are 2 feet wide
And then there is the one... it has mabey a two foot bike lane ..but the road narrows like an hourglass in one spot .... the line for the bike lane keeps going strait .. right into the curb ... a real good one at night i tell ya ( who the smell plans these things )

most car drivers think the city painted the lines just for them ... you know , as an extra lane for when its busy .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wish I could find it. There was a post a while back with the mayor of a city, I think it was in Europe somewhere, who used a big military vehicle to crush cars parked in the bike lane. Seems he was an avid cyclist and declared war on those inconsiderate folks who didn't respect bikers. I'll keep looking.
Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's a retirement community not far from me and many residents use EVs that look like fancy golf carts.
So on many streets in town, there's a super-wide bike lane that the EVs are also allowed to use.
They typically only do 25-30MPH, so I haven't had to swerve over and let one pass yet lol

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Not only do cagers drive with two wheels well into the new bike lanes our city now has, they make a point of ignoring them. Many have written to the local paper in protest at having to share the road now (they had to before, by law, and wouldn't) and some even state that we should return to the sidewalk where we cyclists belong (when actually/technically it is illegal for us to ride there, but that law went un-enforced for so long because it has been dangerous for cyclists to ride elsewhere).
What makes for an even bigger problem is that even if the cager isn't riding part way into the bike lane, most of the time when he makes a right turn at an upcoming intersection he will pull right into the bike lane, jam on the brakes, and then put on the signal. I've seen a few close calls with this tactic, and a few very ticked cyclists.
Most disagreements stem from custom. People in Indy LOVE their gas guzzlers, SUVs, trucks, and so on. People who never had to share the road before now have to actually watch for smaller vehicles than their own. I've even had friends of mine, who forgot who they were riding with, tell me what a pain these new bike lanes were and how they mostly ignore them. Then they notice how I'm giving them the evil eye.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Here is PC Fl, there are only bike lanes on a few roads, and those mostly main roads that have tons of traffic....

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Here in the Star City, Nebraska we have miles of bike trails that you can't ride a motor bike on. We have streets that are nothing but a bunch of patched up - or not - pot holes that you can't even keep on your bike riding through them. But the best one is on 2 lane one streets where the bike lane is smack down the middle of the street. Try to make a right or left hand turn on this one! You've got to have a death wish or want to commit suicide to ride on it. The City Council is 'thinking' about closing it due to so many 'accidents' in the area.
buzzard

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Here in the Star City, Nebraska we have miles of bike trails that you can't ride a motor bike on. We have streets that are nothing but a bunch of patched up - or not - pot holes that you can't even keep on your bike riding through them. But the best one is on 2 lane one streets where the bike lane is smack down the middle of the street. Try to make a right or left hand turn on this one! You've got to have a death wish or want to commit suicide to ride on it. The City Council is 'thinking' about closing it due to so many 'accidents' in the area.
buzzard
Petition for the council members to ride down the center bike lane during normal everyday traffic. Then they might get a clue.....