50cc scooters in TX

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had always thought that you just needed to take a written test to get a moped license in TX to ride a 50cc machine. Not so. In TX, to ride a 50cc scooter legally, you must take the same 15 hr motorcycle safety course as the Harley riders.
That is too much work to ride a 50cc scooter. I am glad I didn't buy the scooter before trying to get the license. I plan to get something bigger now. That must be why I don't see many 50cc scooters on the road around here anymore.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I didnt have to take the 15 hr class to get my MC license. I just went tothe DPS office and took the written test and then the driving test and they gave me a license. That has been a few years back though. Have they recently changed the law???

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's what I thought too, if you're over 18 or 21 you can just walk in and test at the DPS office to get a DL license.

They make it as hard as possible though. You not only have to bring your bike, you also have to bring a car and driver to chauffer the DPS officer during the driving test.

When I was a kid, at least they drove their own car. After waiting for months and months, on my 15th birthday I was allowed to have a motorcycle license for, not to exceed 5 hp. I had to go to driving school for a car even though I wasn't old enough for a car license at the time. At least they didn't ask me how I got the bike there since I didn't have a license till after the test. haha

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My experience was in Houston. They would not let me take the scooter test without a cert from the motorcycle safety course. I am tempted to go to Rosenberg and see if they require the motorcycle safety course before taking the moped test. They probably will, because the course is taught at the fairgrounds in Rosenberg.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My experience was in Houston. They would not let me take the scooter test without a cert from the motorcycle safety course. I am tempted to go to Rosenberg and see if they require the motorcycle safety course before taking the moped test. They probably will, because the course is taught at the fairgrounds in Rosenberg.
Looks like the law changed in Sept 2009. Now the DPS riders course is required for mopeds as well as motorcycles, like you were told. Not MBs though, hahahaha for now.

Just be aware, the riders course wasn't the states idea. It was hard fought by Texas ABATE, and other Texas Motorcycle rights organizations. It actually made it a lot easier to get a license, and caused motorcycle registrations to go up in Texas. I think the state knew that would happen, and that's why they were against it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Generally, licensing requirements increase when the insurance companies demand it. They threaten not to insure mopeds in that state if they don't require the course.
I moved here in 2010, so I missed the boat.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Generally, licensing requirements increase when the insurance companies demand it. They threaten not to insure mopeds in that state if they don't require the course.
I moved here in 2010, so I missed the boat.
Everything in this country is being smothered by regulations.