One Of My Bike Shops

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I went to my locale bike shop today to get a bearing for my bike. This guy usually greets me in a very negative way because he knows what I ride. He didn't even charge me for the part! Not only that, he wants me to bring the bike over some time! He must be on something I guess!

Terry

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Ha!
I was at LBS lookin to see if they had White Lightning and askin' abt tire pumps.
The fellow asked abt my bike as I left, and I said, well, it's kinda different, as we stepped out the door...
OH, he said, when he looked over at it... one of those things!
Then he said, What's that? when he saw my bottle strapped on the handlebars.
That's my O2, I said... I ain't quite up to pedaling far like I once could.

Maybe he understood why some folks can actually USE the power.
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my bike shop is finally used to me. Last time I took a rear coaster wheel in with a bad bearing, the guy installed it for me and only charged me two bucks for the bearing and the installation. They come around when they figure out we are as serious about what we do as they are about what they do I think.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bottom line? Our dollars are just as green as anyone's. Once a bike shop realizes that you're going to spend a few bucks they'll change their tune. The almighty buck speaks loud.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
?.....I thought we all wore spandex on our bikes......did I miss the memo?
I once told a spandex-wearing biker, who was curious about my previous MB, that he could keep his Spandex, and Lycra, and little shoes with the pedal clips. "I like my leather, and heavy chains, and I like it fast!"

And we laughed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol, I love my LBS :D

I'll freely admit I'm cheap, I'll shop around for the lowest price I can find on quality parts - and that's very rarely my LBS as they very much cater to the weekend warrior roadies & their high end price tag... erm, I mean bikes.

Yet... while the store front is filled w/bikes that cost more than a new motorcycle and the folks such attracts, the techs in the shop are as down to earth practical and far more helpful than I'd have any right to expect, given I rarely spend money there save having a custom wheelset built or w/e - usually I'm just after advice/feedback to be honest.

While I can't vouch for the sales people - I know for a fact the techs don't mess around... while they'll happily build you your billion dollar bike, being techs they do appreciate the rigors of actual application, while they'll not tinker w/motorized bikes in their shop - they dig the "test to destruction" method a MB offers on components, they love the feedback I offer on hubs & whatnot.

One of my fave occurrences happened late last season, I was in the shop lookin' for I don't even remember when a spotless roadie came clickin' into the shop with what musta been at least a fifteen hundred dollar wheelset in his hands & a pair of studded tires. After giving my bearded, scruffy self the stink-eye, he elbowed his way in between me and the tech, interrupting us to demand his tires be put on his rims ASAP... which was a lil odd as A: yer paying a guy to slip some tires on yer rims? & B: There's no snow or ice yet...

Whatever, to each their own *shrug* The tech was a touch displeased to be interrupted but I said it was no nevermind - he was a paying customer and I was jus' babblin', defo no worries. The tech proceeds to start workin' on the guy's stuff and the guy looks around & lacking anyone else - starts talkin' to me about his spiffy new studded snow tires.

Toys are toys & I'll babble such w/anyone and be happy about it - as there's no way in heck I'd ever buy bicycle stuff in his price range, talkin' w/those that do is the only way I'll learn about it *shrug* Things went well for a while... but then he asked what I used for studded tires, or did I not ride in the winter?

...and... I mebbe erred lol, I told him the truth - that I ride year-round as a daily commuter & I didn't bother w/studded tires, that knobbies w/lotsa lil, tall lugs worked well enough fer me at a mere fraction of the cost, I couldn't see spending three times as much as I spent on my winter beater bike jus' for some lil metal bits in my tires... and the guy about derploded in indignation, immediately informing me that should I continue to ride in the Maine winters, I would soon learn the error of my ways - that only a naive fool couldn't see the value in such exemplary tires as his, that I obviously & desperately needed to be schooled by the vastly superior knowledge he and the sales people possessed.

I jus' nodded & smiled, who am I to argue? I dunno beans about such skinny wheels as his - he might be right, for his application & use but before I could say as much, the normally soft-spoken tech dropped his tools and stormed over half yellin' at the roadie "YOU dunno jack-all about what you're talking about, YOU don't even put a hundred miles on your bike in the off season, THIS guy (pointing at lil ol' me) averages at least six thousand miles a year, two thousand in the wintertime regardless of the weather at speeds you couldn't dream of reaching! So if he's tellin' you his twelve dollar knobbies are good enough - you better freakin' listen!"

Silence reigned in the shop as the tech went back to his task... I chuckled a bit nervously & said, "No worries - it's a cheap china shwinn w/a cheap china motor on it, I'm sure pedaling is a different game." and the roadie says, "You really ride all year, every day - even in the winter, no matter what?" and I said "Ofc, the worse the conditions, the more fun it is and it's not like I'm workin' for it, I do cheat w/the engine an' all lol"

Lookin' thoughtful, the roadie wandered off while I said thanks to the tech for the backup :p

Moral of the story? Skip the sales floor and talk directly to the techs. They may or may not be as helpful/appreciative as the ones at my LBS, but ya might be pleasantly surprised... Techs & tinkers, there's usually some common ground ;)

Last edited:

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
lol, I love my LBS :D

I'll freely admit I'm cheap, I'll shop around for the lowest price I can find on quality parts - and that's very rarely my LBS as they very much cater to the weekend warrior roadies & their high end price tag... erm, I mean bikes.

Yet... while the store front is filled w/bikes that cost more than a new motorcycle and the folks such attracts, the techs in the shop are as down to earth practical and far more helpful than I'd have any right to expect, given I rarely spend money there save having a custom wheelset built or w/e - usually I'm just after advice/feedback to be honest.

While I can't vouch for the sales people - I know for a fact the techs don't mess around... while they'll happily build you your billion dollar bike, being techs they do appreciate the rigors of actual application, while they'll not tinker w/motorized bikes in their shop - they dig the "test to destruction" method a MB offers on components, they love the feedback I offer on hubs & whatnot.

One of my fave occurrences happened late last season, I was in the shop lookin' for I don't even remember when a spotless roadie came clickin' into the shop with what musta been at least a fifteen hundred dollar wheelset in his hands & a pair of studded tires. After giving my bearded, scruffy self the stink-eye, he elbowed his way in between me and the tech, interrupting us to demand his tires be put on his rims ASAP... which was a lil odd as A: yer paying a guy to slip some tires on yer rims? & B: There's no snow or ice yet...

Whatever, to each their own *shrug* The tech was a touch displeased to be interrupted but I said it was no nevermind - he was a paying customer and I was jus' babblin', defo no worries. The tech proceeds to start workin' on the guy's stuff and the guy looks around & lacking anyone else - starts talkin' to me about his spiffy new studded snow tires.

Toys are toys & I'll babble such w/anyone and be happy about it - as there's no way in heck I'd ever buy bicycle stuff in his price range, talkin' w/those that do is the only way I'll learn about it *shrug* Things went well for a while... but then he asked what I used for studded tires, or did I not ride in the winter?

...and... I mebbe erred lol, I told him the truth - that I ride year-round as a daily commuter & I didn't bother w/studded tires, that knobbies w/lotsa lil, tall lugs worked well enough fer me at a mere fraction of the cost, I couldn't see spending three times as much as I spent on my winter beater bike jus' for some lil metal bits in my tires... and the guy about derploded in indignation, immediately informing me that should I continue to ride in the Maine winters, I would soon learn the error of my ways - that only a naive fool couldn't see the value in such exemplary tires as his, that I obviously & desperately needed to be schooled by the vastly superior knowledge he and the sales people possessed.

I jus' nodded & smiled, who am I to argue? I dunno beans about such skinny wheels as his - he might be right, for his application & use but before I could say as much, the normally soft-spoken tech dropped his tools and stormed over half yellin' at the roadie "YOU dunno jack-all about what you're talking about, YOU don't even put a hundred miles on your bike in the off season, THIS guy (pointing at lil ol' me) averages at least six thousand miles a year, two thousand in the wintertime regardless of the weather at speeds you couldn't dream of reaching! So if he's tellin' you his twelve dollar knobbies are good enough - you better freakin' listen!"

Silence reigned in the shop as the tech went back to his task... I chuckled a bit nervously & said, "No worries - it's a cheap china shwinn w/a cheap china motor on it, I'm sure pedaling is a different game." and the roadie says, "You really ride all year, every day - even in the winter, no matter what?" and I said "Ofc, the worse the conditions, the more fun it is and it's not like I'm workin' for it, I do cheat w/the engine an' all lol"

Lookin' thoughtful, the roadie wandered off while I said thanks to the tech for the backup :p

Moral of the story? Skip the sales floor and talk directly to the techs. They may or may not be as helpful/appreciative as the ones at my LBS, but ya might be pleasantly surprised... Techs & tinkers, there's usually some common ground ;)
This had me giggling for a good five minutes. All i can say is kudos for keeping the MB on the road all year round man, i remember riding a tomos moped in the snow once, i have never eaten more excrement in all my days. Slip after slip. Same story with a bmx bike. Kind of figured it'd be the same story on a cruiser bike w/motor, I am humbled by this knowledge. I'd imagine snow burnouts/fishtails are hilariously fun!

Hats off bud

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thankee :)

I must confess, it's not as difficult as it may seem, it's actually easier that it would be w/a moped as there's less mass & better balance. Once yer used to it, realize that the tires will go wherever they may, that brakes are only a fond memory, that yer not in control at all but only suggesting it and thus compensate - then, well... it's pretty easy, I've found that often I've a less difficult time of it than the cowardly cagers, it still amazes me that I'm oft forced to pass them as they creep along in that scary, scary fresh snow ;)

The humble winter beater Schwinn BTW;

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Poor girl must have been freezing for how covered it was lol. My bike does great with the cheap bell knobbies in winter and actually great in any other time of the year. I paid about 20 bucks a tire they have gone about 800 miles or so and look great. And man that was a good story of a bike tech doing that, awesome! I went to the bike store in town and told the guy I needed a extra heavy duty wheel with heavy spokes, he said what for? So I said a motorbike. Looonnnngggg stare and he said, oh you have one to huh, I simply smiled and said yup. Long story short he got me a stainless rim with 12ga spokes for 36bucks I was very pleased with the guy cause after a while I found out the guy working for him used to build MBs so he knew what I needed, but still in the end he let me know he didn't agree with my type of riding. But oh well we do have our differences.

Last edited: