Chain question

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so I have a question about my chain. Today I was building the kit, so I had to adjust the chain. I think I properly sized it, but I am not sure. When I move my bike, sometimes the chain is lose, like I can move my finder in between the rear sprocket and the chain and it pops off, but if I move the bike a bit in any direction, it gets really tight. Is this normal operation or should I take off another link? Also, when i was testing it out today, I was holding in the clutch and moving the bike and suddenly it just got stuck. the chain got jammed! Is this because I havent oiled it yet? Or because it is too loose?

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The large hole in the center of the sprocket that you bolted on your rear wheel needs to be perfectly centered with the axle.

Watch the sprocket & at how the chain goes 'loose, tight, loose, tight' as you spin the wheel.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Thats weird, just looking at it it looks perfectly fine. I will take it off and put it back on. My chain though right now rubs against the tire, is it ok if I put the teeth pointing outwards? this should help with the chain rubbing I think

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, you can put the sprocket on so the teeth are on the outside edge.

If you have a way of spinning the rear wheel free of either chain you can easily see where the off-center movement is. One method to deal with that is to leave the sprocket bolts loose enough that you can move the sprocket with gentle tapping with a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood against the sprocket teeth. Spin the wheel and look to see which way the sprocket needs to go to be perfectly centered on the rear hub. When you get it to spin absolutely true then tighten the bolts using a star patteren. That means one side then the other alternating around the bolt pattern until all tight. Do Not Overtighten them.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Tom

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
After rotating the sprocket to have the teeth facing out, this has solved my problems with the chain rubbing against the tire and it being off center. Thanks guys!