Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Exclamation motorized bike safety with digital displays

This is coming from my own experience. If you have a digital speedometer that displays your average speed, distance, time, max speed, and current speed, do NOT, under ANY circumstance, take your eyes off the road to look at it for more than a half second, and NEVER anywhere within stopping distance of a traffic light or other intersection. I took my eyes off the road because my speedo was reading a max of 57 mph, for only a couple of seconds, and when i looked up, the only thing i saw was a minivan's driver side tail light. I had no time to react in any way, and i hit. Luckily, i didn't hit my head, only split the skin on my knee a bit, and had a few scrapes on my hand. Not everyone will be that lucky, and i KNOW that I will not be that lucky again. So, remember, if you MUST take your eyes off the road, EVEN FOR A SECOND, pull the clutch, stop, and THEN look at what you need to. If you fail to do this, it won't be just the bike that dies.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: motorized bike safety with digital displays

This is part of the reason I don't have a speedometer on any of my bikes, it's too tempting to look at them while I'm riding.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Motorcycles and cars have gauges and are needed. Typically, a glance at a gauge is a mere fraction of a second. I think what you are trying to say is; Don't troubleshoot a problem while riding down the road. I have a digital gauge also, but it is mostly for gathering data so I know when to do maintenance. Since my top speed is around 27 mph I don't look at my speed much, but it is still fun to know how fast you are going. It's a good thing you weren't really going at your gauges stated speed or that would have hurt a lot more. Hope you and your bike recover okay. Thanks for the reminder to always be on guard.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 PM

The thing is Car guages are in your FOV. Bike speedos are not.
And 57mph? Holy Crap! I hope that was a malfunction or you were going down a hill, still how the heck did you reach that speed? And on what kind of road? Because that was over the speed limit if I had to guess.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight01 View Post
The thing is Car guages are in your FOV. Bike speedos are not.
And 57mph? Holy Crap! I hope that was a malfunction or you were going down a hill, still how the heck did you reach that speed? And on what kind of road? Because that was over the speed limit if I had to guess.
that is the part i was trying to figure out. i have NEVER gone anywhere near that fast. fastest i have ever gone on any bike was 35, and that was down a mountain road. with a jackshaft, i plan on breaking that top speed and maybe getting to 55, tops. these images are the result of my crash. sorry i didn't add this when i posted them. still, im lucky to have only this damage. coulda been a hundred times worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170112_23_50_13_Pro.jpg (466.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170112_23_35_12_Pro.jpg (262.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by xXNightRiderXx; 01-14-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: addition of images
Old 01-13-2017, 03:17 AM

Not sure if 55 is doable even with a jackshaft, then again, I've never linked the motor with the bike's gears so I could be wrong. I've hit 68 on my new bike though hehe.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Dang Necromancer. That's some serious speed.

A predator on a bike gear system would be... scary in a way. That's a lot of torque too.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight01 View Post
Dang Necromancer. That's some serious speed.

A predator on a bike gear system would be... scary in a way. That's a lot of torque too.
I know. I will probably never go 68 on it again, but there was one of those radar signs near some road construction near my house, and I wanted to see what my top speed actually was. It was scary fast. But also awesome.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNecromancer13 View Post
I know. I will probably never go 68 on it again,

But also awesome.
LOL

Still working on my predator 79cc.
Hey you could make it to hood river on I85 on that bike. Just not in this weather. Haha
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

with that kinda speed, you want to have analog monitors. you want a tach and speedo, and i hope you have disk brakes and a class M license, or don't get caught. i don't know the laws in oregon, but here in nevada, max speed limit is 35 or you need a class M. class C otherwise, regardless of cc, as motorized bikes are considered mopeds here.

Last edited by xXNightRiderXx; 01-14-2017 at 06:52 AM.