Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

I can honestly say that I've never sold a bike.........but, I've given many away to needy homes (never given a motorized bike away, at least yet!).
Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Even though it is difficult to make a profit when letting go of your motorized bike, I can guarantee that the learning experience and fun are well worth the money and effort. I think that the main reason keeping market prices on used bikes low is that there are millions of mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles out on the market which have standardized parts, service manuals, and reliability reputations (i.e.: Honda) so people tend to go the safe route when selecting a motorbike. The trials and tribulations which lead to development and learning how to repair unfamiliar stuff is part of a the fun though. Each type of bike and the engine has its own weaknesses which you will find from riding, and by breaking down, and you get the opportunity to figure it out. The only reason why I would want to sell one of my bikes is for the cash to start a new build and make myself a new set of problems to solve!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to move forward with the build, but being on vacation has put a pause on it. It will be exciting! Just afraid of what a cop can do to me with such an illegal engine. But hopefully I will get by with a CA plate. I will be making a lot of the parts normally provided in a fit, such as the throttle (modified grip shifter epoxied to custom grip with plastic sleeve inside). The throttle will be more sensitive than the 80cc kit. I find I have to twist it a lot to get full revs. I will buy a CNC mount, clutch, build the bicycle, and go from there.

Last edited by ultralight01; 12-23-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 AM

So what are going to use for a transfer case on the 212?
It's powerful enough for a torque converter.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Jackshaft. 8:1 or 9:1 with 26" tires.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Wink Re: Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

I've been watching this thread for a few days... It's really bad for everyone when someone gets hurt on one of these things & I strongly advise that you get a better bike than a Huffy for a 212cc engine!!

I did a little searching & found this for you... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5930150270.html

It's a much stronger bike for that engine & will also be worth a lot more money when you try to sell it... (& don't forget to buy a good front brake for it).

I also did a little research here on Oregon laws... It seems they're very strict on these bikes & having such a large engine on a bike will probably lead to endless bad encounters with the law... any cop that pulls you over with that CA plate on it will instantly call BS on you & make you register it in your own state... (which you won't be able to do).

Your best bet is to install a small 49cc engine, lights, mirrors & a horn & try to legally register it as moped in your state.

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Venice, I believe it was you suggested another bike to me, a Schwinn middleweight, which is what I'm buying?
I've tried to say a few times that I won't ever again use crap for a build. I've never even touched a huffy bike and I don't plan to, although as an experiment I did try a cheap bike for my HT kit.

Well, after that comment I don't want to build this. I could still use it for joyrides on quiet roads.
I could make a fake vin and try to register it as a motorcycle but that would be really difficult in Oregon. Plus I'd need endorsement. And there are pretty much zero cops here.

There's an option of making it an electric hybrid and using the engine only out of sight. But then it seems useless.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes View Post
I've been watching this thread for a few days... It's really bad for everyone when someone gets hurt on one of these things & I strongly advise that you get a better bike than a Huffy for a 212cc engine!!

I did a little searching & found this for you... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/5930150270.html

It's a much stronger bike for that engine & will also be worth a lot more money when you try to sell it... (& don't forget to buy a good front brake for it).

I also did a little research here on Oregon laws... It seems they're very strict on these bikes & having such a large engine on a bike will probably lead to endless bad encounters with the law... any cop that pulls you over with that CA plate on it will instantly call BS on you & make you register it in your own state... (which you won't be able to do).

Your best bet is to install a small 49cc engine, lights, mirrors & a horn & try to legally register it as moped in your state.
AMEN! To that, can't do what ya want have to abide by the law.Keep this sport alive not abuse it..........Curt
Old 12-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

A fake VIN won't work... (they're smarter than that)..

If you want to just use it on back roads?, that's fine, but if you're planning on trying to get your money back out of it someday?, your best bet is to build something that's street legal (& easier to sell).

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Oregon is weird. There are laws for motor assisted stand up scooters, but not for bicycles. They are a grey area. But there are laws for electric bicycles, and they're completely legal. So here, any gas powered bike can be considered either legal or illegal since there are no laws for them except electric bike laws.