Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Pedal-less acceleration?

Hi,

Would there be a way to modify the bike in such way that my motorized bicycle would accelerate without a pedal? I have come up across too often when I could not accelerate on uphills after stopping at a red light or stop signs. I had always walked my bike to a flat ground or downhill for it to catch enough speed to accelerate.

My motorized bicycle has a 49 cc on a huffy bike. It's pretty heavy :-0

Old 09-08-2016, 03:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Pedal-less acceleration?

Not really, other than adding a huge rear sprocket like a 54 tooth, adding a reed valve, expansion chamber, porting. If you did all of these changes you might be able to tackle bigger hills because you would be adding so much more low end torque. But with the big sprocket you will also give up speed. These 2 strokes really need high rpms and flat ground to get a running start at hills. Cheapest thing to try through is the huge rear sprocket to add that low end slow grunt. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:35 AM

Also/ the 49 cc just has a bit less horsepower as you know so an up grade to a 66 cc for a bit more grunt. I have never used a 49 cc engine, I do hear they run very smooth though.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Well there is such a thing called a Shift Kit allowing you to use the gears on the bike so that one could have a low gear for acceleration and taller gears for cruising at higher speeds without over revving the engine. Of course if you have a typical beach cruiser that is a single speed that's not going to work.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost0 View Post
Well there is such a thing called a Shift Kit allowing you to use the gears on the bike so that one could have a low gear for acceleration and taller gears for cruising at higher speeds without over revving the engine. Of course if you have a typical beach cruiser that is a single speed that's not going to work.
79cc 4 stroke
Old 09-08-2016, 11:01 AM

The kit is not designed for the 79cc engine but some have made it work from what I have been told.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:32 PM

Another vote for the shift kit. If I go 4 stroke I doubt it will be some dinky 79cc thing.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorizedinDC View Post
Hi,

Would there be a way to modify the bike in such way that my motorized bicycle would accelerate without a pedal? I have come up across too often when I could not accelerate on uphills after stopping at a red light or stop signs. I had always walked my bike to a flat ground or downhill for it to catch enough speed to accelerate.

My motorized bicycle has a 49 cc on a huffy bike. It's pretty heavy :-0

I have a centrifugal clutch kit on my 66cc and I love it. I just have to kick off with my feet at a stop and ride the gas as I move my feet back on the pedals. Still need to give a couple pedal turns to get up to speed but, its still so much easier than pedaling then dropping the clutch. Doesn't work on really steep hills but most occasions it has made my riding experience better. Something maybe to consider. Maybe a clutch + a bit of a gear reduction would work to get you taking off at the bottom of hills with less effort.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:52 PM

High compression head, adjust port timing to match (can be done with gasket thickness under jug), expansion chamber and proper jetting. Oh and like ZipTie said, get the bigger motor, there is no replacement for displacement. A change of gear ratio might help, but it doesn't change the fact you need more power. Proper jetting also helps, you shouldn't be fourstroking climbing a hill, maybe on the flats or going downhill, but it should smooth out on any kind of grade, two smokers like to be a little rich under load. A bigger rear sprocket might reveal the need for leaner jetting. Its good to know how to do, and very easy.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM

Another vote for shift kit, I built 2 bikes with them, one runs a KTM 50 engine and they make for great street riding without pedaling.