Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Most secure locks?

What's better-a keyed lock or a combination lock? Do they make any with both? Are there any other kinds out there? What do you guys have for locks?

I have a Home Depot chain with a keyed disc lock. I'm going to get a tracking device, but I'm still worried about it being picked.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Most secure locks?

Master lock 22"street cuffs.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Kryptonite U locks have always worked for me. But any lock can be broken, if a thief wants it bad enough.

Always lock your bike to something secure, and in a well lit, public area.

Most bikes are stolen when left unlocked for "just a minute," while you go into a store or something.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
Kryptonite U locks have always worked for me. But any lock can be broken, if a thief wants it bad enough.
That's the truth, I try not to leave mine locked up anywhere out of my sight for more than 20 mins.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM

Whatever you do, DO NOT use master locks! They are complete garbage and offer less security than tying your bike down with a rope. Search for "picking master locks" in youtube and you will see what i mean. I pick locks for fun, and master locks take between 5 and 20 seconds to pick, no matter what the size. If you want good security get an American Lock Company lock for about the same price as a master lock. If you want the very best security then get an Abloy disc detainer lock, but that will cost $80-100. Try a locksmith for the American, and buy online for the Abloy.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I was just thinking-what about Tungsten??? Is there anything made of Tungsten? I'm not seeing any locks made of that. Why not?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegun4784 View Post
I was just thinking-what about Tungsten??? Is there anything made of Tungsten? I'm not seeing any locks made of that. Why not?
Tungsten is extremely expensive, and it is also very brittle and hard, so a thief wouldn't be able to cut it, but a quick whack with a hammer and it would break. Get yourself an American brand padlock and some thick aircraft cable and you should be good.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Something a lot of people overlook, is what they lock it to.

Friend of mine had his bike stolen when the thief pulled the signpost out of the ground that he locked it to.

Some square signposts are bolted to the ground. A 9/16 wrench can remove it in seconds.

Wrought iron gates can be cut with a hacksaw in a few minutes.

There's a mall by my house where someone unbolted an entire bike rack from the ground, loaded it into a truck and took the rack, bikes and all.

If you need to lock your bike for a long period of time, while at school, work, etc, find a place in public view, that can't be easily cut thru.

That being said, don't count on the public to pay attention, either. A few years back, I locked my bikke to good bike rack at a college holding a swap meet. When I came back, someone had locked their bike through mine. Called my roommate, and he brought my 4' bolt cutters, and in front of a hundred people passing by and watching, I cut the other lock and got my bike.

Not one person said a word to me.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 PM

I bought a big heavy padlock and about two and a half feet of the heaviest gauge chain lowes had.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreWound View Post
I bought a big heavy padlock and about two and a half feet of the heaviest gauge chain lowes had.
What brand is your padlock? If it is master lock brand or says "top security" anywhere on it then throw it away. Most locks that you buy at a hardware store are absolute crap, they have all standard pins and are a breeze to pick. The size of the lock body and shackle doesn't make any difference if the innards are garbage. Trust me about this, i have been picking locks for fun for quite a few years. The brands which you can trust are : Abus, Abloy, American, Medeco, Mul-T-Lok and Ruko. Get one of those, and dump that chain and get yourself some 6 gauge aircraft cable.