Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

Yes! That's what i used, and worked really good 2" wide 1/8" thick..............Curt
Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig II View Post
Thought. A small thought, and probably not ideal, but what about a simple vertical tube from the gear selector stub, with the clutch lever at the top? It would look old fashioned and be minimal.
Ludwig your original question posed equally excellent choices to help solve the gear selector relocation dilemma I've self imposed, partially to retain a classic period look while retaining a certain degree of safe and enjoyable cycling. Now you present an appealing alternative that would look quite right, keep the mechanics simple and at the same time be very different from what many enthusiasts would expect in a gear change lever. I envisage a brass shift lever with a sculpted pistol grip and a clutch activation lever with a solid rod linkage leading down the length of the shift lever to activate the clutch... all in brass. A clutch lock could be added as well. The whole look would be early agrarian farm implement. Left hand shift and clutch and I really like the look of what I'm imagining. The prospect of operating it from a bent over board track riding position on a frequent basis is to me not too appealing however. I'd love see it incorporated in a lovely roadster build with reach back bars, high saddle and brass gas lanterns front and rear. Too cool!

Running a left hand shifter straight off the case stub is an easy solution, if one switches the position of both clutch and front brake lever. Right hand clutch and left hand brake on the handlebars. Not hard to get used to. One draw back is operating the clutch and throttle (to keep a cold, or hot engine running) at idle could pose a certain dexterity skill not posessed by some. Of course a thumb throttle replacing the tradional twist is an answer that mimicks the reality of the on off hacksaw "throttle" of early racing bikes. As we see lots of possibilities when you start changing things from the ordinary and expected.

Actually nothing I've mentioned actually works better or is as simple as the factory foot shifter and bar clutch, but really simple isn't just what I'm looking for. Rick C.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM

It's a pity you haven't got the Jawa/CZ slickshift option where the gearchange could be disguised as a foot clutch, and simply mount a dummy gearchange on the tank.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Here's the Jockey shifter on my old Triumph 650... This can help give you some ideas.
I made the shifter from a Schwinn bicycle fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00M0M_jtdm4Kqh9bg_600x450.jpg (55.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 00Z0Z_kh0wzcVESZg_600x450 (1).jpg (48.6 KB, 22 views)

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes

Last edited by Venice Motor Bikes; 01-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 AM

Ludwig I rode a Cushman Eagle 8 hp scooter 1959 thru 1961come rain or snow that featured suicide (foot clutch), foot operated rear drum,left hand tank shift and hand lever front brake: that kept a rider constantly involved. I can't recall taking a spill or of others stepping off their similarly equipped mounts unaware. Good days and adventures they were when most secondary roads went unpaved and our small wheeled transports battled the deep ruts of dirt roads...that did at times dismount us all. Great training for our graduation to full sized scramblers and such on the off-road courses and bottomless red mud of the back country.
Our reflections of by gone days are most often greatly enhanced...either much better than it actually was or worse than others could ever believe. Nostalgia can be treated but never completely cured...Rick C.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfox View Post
Yes! That's what i used, and worked really good 2" wide 1/8" thick..............Curt
Curtis they ended up looking good as well. You do great work. Rick C.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes View Post
Here's the Jockey shifter on my old Triumph 650... This can help give you some ideas.
I made the shifter from a Schwinn bicycle fork.
Norm your rockin' the Bonny....choice build! I like the re-purposed Schwinn fork shift lever and how 'bout using that brass "attitude adjuster" as a shift knob? I bounced bars as a youth and wouldn't be caught dead (literally) 'cause I carried brass, blade, quarters & slap just tools of the trade. A good leather belt with a big brass buckle kept my pants up till it was called on to drop another to the saw dust. Not my finest occupation or proudest moments... nor my worst as it turned out. Rick C.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian22 View Post
Curtis they ended up looking good as well. You do great work. Rick C.
Thanks Rick, have 2 to finish and send off. Been a long in doing, but working on them now. Get this stuff done so can do my own build........Curt
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM

I was laughing when I saw the knuckle duster on your shifter as well Venice. In the days when I was able to ride I had a few friends who would have made it easily detachable from the shifter for up close and personal moments when needed.

The fork leg is a bit of builder genius.

Steve.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Steve I assumed it was detachable. Norm I had an old tapered steel chain stay to attach to the stub, to try out as a concept and honestly I like the simplicity enough to stop the tinkering and try this first when I get it up and going. Actually running a reversed cIutch and brake lever position on the bars doesn't bother me. I will also cut a curved and tapered fork leg to length as well and check that look out. Thanks Norm for sharing your idea and the great photos.

I also locked down all the elements of the "chuckle head" conversion and it's factory solid. I will need to age the brass and aluminum chemically and add a few tiny bits and pieces for accent and contrast, but 90 percent done with the brass side tubes and lifter cover. It will look so different with the Harley flat side tank and board track bars mounted. I quit fussing over the saddle choice till I get bars and tank installed. Absolutely beautiful today and wasted it on work instead of a ride. I must really be that old guy.

Rick C.:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0110171609-768x1024.jpg (271.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0110171614-768x1024.jpg (270.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0110171616-768x1024.jpg (284.7 KB, 20 views)