Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Velocar cyclecar semi-replica.

I'll look into those Workman hubs Steve as they might just work out with this project. The hubs on their own will be fine as I know how to build up a spoked wheel and it will help to keep the freight cost down.
The last time I checked a Peerless axle cost near enough to $NZ300.00 here in Kiwiland, but luckily the one I found second hand was a fraction of that price. After taking it apart today I discovered it's in good condition too.

A fair amount of measuring and creative staring has been going on, but I think I've finally figured out how to modify this axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ColombeCyclecarAxle1.jpeg (400.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 AM

It looks like the Workman trike axles have a keyway and the hub is held on with a nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WorkmanTrikeAxle.jpeg (18.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM

That's about twice what we'd pay here for a new Peerless axle. I knew shipping costs were a bear to New Zealand and Australia. Harry76 had a Victa engine that Silverbear and I coveted for it's looks and power but the shipping costs when I checked it out were every bit as bad as Harry had said they would be. At least we got to look at the photos.

It does indeed look to be a pretty straight forward bit of machining as you had mentioned. It is a great benefit to have a metal working lathe and what's more the knowledge of how to use it. My one attempt at machine shop when I was in school was to make a ball-peen hammer on the lathe. The head of it was a work of art if I do say so myself but regrettably the handle weighed twice what the head of it did. I never brought it home and tossed it out at the end of the school year.

My grandfather was a tool and die maker and worked for a large electric lighting company in Birmingham England where he had apprenticed and had become the head of production. He was also the man in charge of installing the lighting in the Titanic.
I just couldn't bring my self to show him the hammer and was afraid if I brought it home he would by chance see it so it went into the scrap barrel and my brief attempt at a machinist career ended.

It would be nice if you are able to use the hubs for the Columbe. One more item crossed of the list.

Steve.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 PM

A surprisingly comprehensive database of 3-wheelers, thought ya'll might be interested;

http://www.3wheelers.com/AZDatabase/AZ_view.php
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 AM

BarelyAWake,

Thank you for the most enjoyable reading. Amazing in a way how many of the early three wheelers were Tri Cars or Fore Cars as they were sometimes called. So many of them had such a short lifespan.

Steve.

Steve.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM

Yes that's a fascinating A-Z resource. Thanks for posting that

They missed one of the H's though; - the Harding Invalid Car which is a favourite of mine. Very similar in many ways to what I'm trying to achieve with my Colombe project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HardingInvalidCarriage.jpeg (38.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpeg HardingInvalidCarriage2.jpeg (49.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpeg HardingInvalidCarriage5.jpeg (172.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpeg HardingInvalidCarriage6.jpeg (99.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpeg HardingInvalidCarriage4.jpeg (16.1 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Intrepid Wheelwoman; 09-22-2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Barely,
Thanks for the great resource!
SB
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM

Arrrrrgggh! - all play out in the carport is cancelled. A completely out of season tropical cyclone is passing over the country with 130kph winds and 120mm of rain expected in our region overnight. All the usual stuff with flood warnings and severe weather warnings we get around here. They're even warning motorists to stay off the roads!

Yesterday evening I realised that I was fast heading towards full sized cyclecar territory in that I was laying out a fairly heavyweight vehicle (relatively speaking) that was getting beyond bicycle based technology. Sooooo I cleared everything away and hauled out the tricycle axle again. Yes it's not a famously strong design, but I use the same axle on my Hercules and I got over the tendency for the axle to bend in the middle by fitting additional bracing. This axle drives only on one side, - though I'm not worried about that for the moment as I've decided to go for a proof of concept approach in that I'm going to build my Colombe semi-replica with the most basic components, - but with the ability to upgrade things built in.

Sometime ago I purchased the beginnings of a homebuilt fun kart with a front axle attached to a lightweight chassis. Unfortunately the front axle has to go as once a vehicle has four wheels it's a car for licensing purposes and the notion of a bicycle based quadricycle is a totally foreign concept to those who administer New Zealand's vehicle regulations. Pity really because it did look nice when I put the trike axle on the rear of the chassis.
Once the front axle was cleanly removed and stashed away I surprised two Raleigh 20 frames with a hacksaw and made a long spined frame out of them. This lengthened frame will be installed down the centre of the fun kart chassis and will be joined to it by various bits of sawn up Raleigh 20 frame and pieces of angle iron. The engine will still be at the front. To start with the standard Raleigh 20 fork will be used, but various kinds of front suspension may get tried out later. I also want to mount the rear axle using quarter elliptic springs of the most simplest form and I have a pair of nice old car springs from the council tip already to donate some of their leaves to the project. These leaf springs are assembled from a great many thin leaves as was commonly done back when cars were properly built so they are perfect to provide the raw material I need.

Pictures will be posted once the storm has passed over and I can get my toys out of the garage again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FunKartChassis.jpg (121.6 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Once again "creative staring" and being willing to change horses mid stream has saved the day. It is so easy for the weight to creep upwards, for the budget to expand and for the build to become more and more complex. As you say, keep it simple and you can always upgrade later if need be.

As for the cyclone, batten down the hatches! And here's to hoping you don't end up like Dorothy being blown about and awakening in the land of Oz.
SB
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM

sounds like swimming weather lol