Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Morini Bicycle Engine

Morini Bicycle Engine Italian made Franco Morini engines are the ultimate bicycle motor. Learn and share how to get the most out of morini motors.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Does anyone know anything about this Morini engine?

I found this on the treatland website, and it looked like a good deal, but there are no specs on it.

I was wondering if any of you Morini guys knew anything about it?

Thanks for any info.

https://www.treatland.tv/franco-mori...ete-engine.htm
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Default Re: Does anyone know anything about this Morini engine?

Very interesting! I'd love to hear how that variator drive works in the real world. I've often looked at scooter motors with bad intent.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM

for 3.9 hp at 6500 rev / min

specs came from this link: http://www.bibliotobec.org/gallery/p...8/category/383

here is link to parts manual: http://www.bibliotobec.org/gallery/i...?/category/214
Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 PM

I got that same engine but hadn't done anything with it yet, was going to build up a trike and use it there, but a customer at my shop who also builds and sells motorized bikes for extra pocket money told me he has a decent Stingray bike that he's willing to sell me. If I can get the Stingray I'll be putting this engine in it.
From the little info I've found on this engine it came out of a Motobecane EW 50 mini dirt bike and I was able to find a youtube of one in action, it appears to be a really torquey engine with a decent top speed around 40mph in the dirtbike. What's cool about it is that there's a 70cc kit for it that would bump the power from 3.9 hp up to around 6.5 or so and more can be had if a bigger carb was installed along with some mild porting (and the right pipe) it could easily put out 7 to 8 hp with the potential to put out over 10 hp if the porting is done more radically, more compression, a good pipe, and the right ignition timing curve.
My plan is to just add the 70cc kit, a 21mm carb, a pipe, and some mild porting as I'm not sure how much power the built in CVT can handle before it starts to eat belts or break parts. 6 to 7 Hp should be plenty enough in a stingray frame that'll be more of a daily rider than a racer. Even with the stock 3.9 hp the CVT will ensure decent acceleration along with a respectable top speed.

Last edited by Davezilla; 12-04-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:15 PM

I don't think they are available anymore. Denardis engines have replaced them.
Mortini engines are no longer being made from what I have been told.

Denardis had a sale before Christmas I should have taken advantage of, but
I had just started messing with these china crap engines. Oh well I,m moving
up, to the Denardis engine, but paying the get what you pay for deal.

Fly
Old 01-30-2015, 04:12 PM

These show up at treatland from time to time, I had to ask them to email me when they had more available then about 3 months later I got the email they were in stock so I bought it as soon as I was done reading the email.
When it delivered it was definitely not a new engine but a used one in really good condition with a new carb and new cvt parts installed. I pulled the cylinder and it looks like the cylinder bore was new or replated, and the rings were new.
It also doesn't come with the CDI or coil, just the wiring from the mag and points so these parts need to be bought separately.

I've also looked for these engines on other sites and only found a few that were complete, most were just parts or missing too much to be worth buying, but they were used in a 1980 Motobecane EW 50 dirtbike, very few youtubes on these and not much info on the net about then either so this ngine is rare if you can get one, and parts are tricky to find, but treatland does stock the big bore kit for this one as well as the larger manifold and replacement belts which are also ultra hard to find.

I'll still use this engine on a project but it'll be one that's not ridden a whole lot mainly due to the lack of replacement parts available if something does wear out or break.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:29 PM

Here's mine in "as purchased" condition... It does have a few broken fins, but not bad enough to worry about overheating... This one puts out 3.9 hp stock so it's not a screamer but with the cvt and being set up for low rpm power these engines do well in heavier builds where top speed is less important than good bottom end torque.

I've been thinking about putting this in a Schwinn Stingray or a utility trike to make look like an old Servicar, but I'm open to all suggestions, this one won't be a daily rider but more of a show bike or trike...

Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Gutter Rider

If it has a tiny carby on it like the S6T model? The only difference I ever saw for the most part was better reeds and a bigger carby make a S6S model at 10 plus HP from a S6T!

I have not got to get up close and personal with the OP's motor or Daves. It is a nice thunk tho aye?

Does look like a small intake on that motor? I wager I could get a few Phonies out that model. Nice score!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
If it has a tiny carby on it like the S6T model? The only difference I ever saw for the most part was better reeds and a bigger carby make a S6S model at 10 plus HP from a S6T!

I have not got to get up close and personal with the OP's motor or Daves. It is a nice thunk tho aye?

Does look like a small intake on that motor? I wager I could get a few Phonies out that model. Nice score!
Thanks...
Stock carb for this is a dellorto Sha 14.14 so there's definitely room for bigger, the carb in the picture is actually a nt speed carb just to keep stuff from getting inside the engine while its waiting for a bike....
I think the upgrade manifold for it at treat land is for a 21mm and they also have a big bore kit for it to bring it up to 70cc so bigger carb, better reed valve, and the big bore kit could easily bring it closer to the 7 to 8hp range... of course if the big bore was added a 24mm might be a better carb choice along with some mild porting this thing could perform. I'd definitely buy up some spare belts for the cvt to keep on hand if I do upgrade it.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Gutter Rider

I got a 21mm carby on a 50cc Morini and it is specked over ten horse power. I would say 12 hp at sea level perhaps. How you figuring for 7 to 8 HP? In better words I think it might be able to do more?

You let that thing breath better its gonna rev up high I am sure of it! With a fair prowless low end too.

Is the stock jug and all still in good shape?

That big bore kit is gonna put you at around 20 hp me thinks.

Edit just reread your earlier post you know what’s up!!.

Last edited by Goat Herder; 01-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.