Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Deacon's DIY Electric Bike Forum!

you'll probably get a sturdier frame if you use an old bike. Those cheap walmart bikes have pretty dinky frames. Something to think about if you're going to weld on it.

Also, are you sure you're going to want your feet to be moving while the motor is running? Seems like that could get annoying after a while. Even if you hook it up like a china kit, it'll charge the battery when it's not in use. I think I would go that way honestly.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 AM
minor bike philosopher

good thought but the other side is to conserve battery I plan to freewheel with the motor off except when I am pedaling and to use the motor as an assist to make pedaling easier. I am still up in the air on that one though. It's why I asked for opinions and I do value yours. I kinda feel that way to. I suppose a lot depends on how the engine performs.

What I might do is hook to the seat post with my mount. Then if the chain on the second pully doesn't work out, I can mount the china sprocket. That is a compromise thought.

on the wallyworld bike, I went to the thrift shop today and found three bikes that I can do my own thing to. They are having a half price sale tomorrow, so I hope I can get at least one of them. They should run between five and fifteen dollars. The 15 is for a nice suspension bike like the one I have been working on. It would be easier to mount to one of the solid frames I expect. I'll just have to see what is left when I get there.

I just need the frame I have plenty of wheels and tires that are ready to go. A big butt seat would be nice lol/.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
minor bike philosopher

Joe was kind enough to donate a rear sprocket and I ordered a bike chain front sprocket for my motor. I have all the parts to go with my coaster bike frame now. I still might pick up a mt bike tomorrow to try to other mounting technique.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
minor bike philosopher

I am trying to figure the approx mph of this ebike setup soooo
what is the rpm of the china motor does anyone know.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
minor bike philosopher

Default eureka

a number 25 chain will pull a mountain bike sprocket. I have no idea if it will pull it under power but it seems to fit. If it will work I won't have to weld a different sprocket onto the electric motor. It comes with a 9 tooth sprocket.

So the question for the math whiz is even more important since I can test this puppy pretty soon.

Since the original post I did some checking and the 25 chain is 1/4 x 1/4 the mountain chains is 1/2 by 3/32 obviously it is close enough for deacon work.

Last edited by deacon; 11-27-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
minor bike philosopher

I went to the thrift store this morning and they were having their half price sale. I broke down and bought a 26" mountain fury bike. Three front sprockets and probably half a doze in the rear.

The front and rear derailers are frozen but I don't plan to shift it. I plan at the moment to set the motor chain on the large front sprocket. Then a chain from the next smaller one to the largest of the rear sprockets.

I am going to try it with a 12 volt power source first since I want to keep the speed down. If that won't help on the hills then i will go with a 24 volts. The controller should work with either. It will work with 24volts I know.

even though the 25 chain will work I have a bicycle sprocket on the way and I have a slightly smaller motor I can put it on. I think I will give it a try as well. Some combination of engines and power should do the small amount I want. I just don't want overkill. I really do need to exercise some. I just don't want too exercise much lol.

Last edited by deacon; 11-27-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
minor bike philosopher

Yeah that where i got mine but the bore is wrong I am going to have to weld it to the sprocket on the motor. Since the 25 chain will work I'm going to try it as well. One of them if not both will work okay im sure.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM
minor bike philosopher

I thought i had done this post already but I cant find it so here it is again. The thrift store bike was a mt fury I think that is the bottom of the wally mart line. It sure had a lot of cheap plastic.

I managed to save one shifter and one brake set. Everything else was trash. the front wheel was bent and the derailer was gone as well. I ended up with a coaster wheel on the back. I might have to go friction on it, or put bike guy joes sprocket on the rear. I am having second thoughts about pedaling it all the time the electric motor is running.

I'm going to need it to freewheel I think. I did get a lot done so I might just try to original plan tomorrow just to see what it does.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
minor bike philosopher

Okay I have the mount welded on and this time it looks like it will hold. I welded it three times as I am still learning. My welds look like tumors but this time I think they will hold the engine.

I have a bicycle chain sprocket on the way. I am going to wait and weld it on rather than mess with the #25 sprocket on the engine. The #25 will turn the chain but it also slips very easily since the teeth are so small. It might shake apart or tear the engine up from my welding but what the heck it is worth a try.

I will add pictures when it is finished no sense going through all the failed attempts to do things. There have been many.

One of the things left to do is to weld the seat in a position from which it will never move. The thing is so worn out that the adjustments are toast. Not the seat on the bike the one from another bike that might not feel quite as strange back there. I'm going to grind and then weld it when it stops raining. Somehow welding in the rain does not seem like a good plan.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
minor bike philosopher

I spent the day welding and I'm exhausted. I got the sprocket in the mail from the scooter shop and I welded it onto a motor. I have no idea if it will hold. I almost have the electric motor hooked up correctly. Still have a little alignment to do. Then stick on the other parts. before I do too much more I need to test it to see if it is even feasible. This all might be an exercise in futility.

I'm just too exhausted to mess with it now.