Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

I would imagine that Threadcromancy isn't permitted by the moderators so I thought I'd begin a new thread to follow on from this old one here .......

http://motorbicycling.com/f44/wild-idea-24508.html

The modern velomobile is far too hi-tech and expensive for me to even consider for a moment. However the velocars that were devised as low tech transport alternatives in Europe during wartime are a subject that fascinates me greatly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MochetAdvert.jpg (325.7 KB, 962 views)
File Type: jpg MochetVelocarChassis.JPG (20.0 KB, 1068 views)
File Type: jpg pedobil.jpg (25.5 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg VelocarTypeF.jpg (32.4 KB, 1566 views)
File Type: jpg Velocar.jpg (118.3 KB, 1669 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

And more........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cykelbilenfantom2tr7.jpg (14.9 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg fantomah0.jpg (59.1 KB, 1212 views)
File Type: jpg Fantom2sits.jpg (84.1 KB, 607 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 AM

This in particular is my favourite velocar picture......

This is a 'Fantom' which is a Swedish velocar. Up until recently the plans for the Fantom were still available, only it's thought that not that many were actually made despite the numbers of plans actually sold.

More vintage Velocars........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cykelbil1.jpg (29.4 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg CykelbilenCar.jpg (24.7 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg CykelbilenCar2.jpg (19.0 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg exonfabriken.jpg (42.7 KB, 727 views)
File Type: jpg VelocarFrame.jpg (11.8 KB, 630 views)

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 01-29-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: dead links
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
I would imagine that Threadcromancy isn't permitted by the moderators...
Actually, despite any impression to the contrary resultant from a minority of members, "Threadcromancy" is not only permitted, but wholeheartedly endorsed by the staff here - as you've noticed, there's some excellent information no less interesting simply because it's been neglected for a while. Nevertheless, starting a new thread relevant to your interests is of course a great way to offer your insight & gain more information... *shrug* It's up to ya'll ofc

I'm personally fascinated by velomobiles/velocars & tadpole trikes in general, though there are some difficulties with the general concept. Expense is however not necessarily one of them, provided ofc you've some fabrication ability as there's a plenitude of DIY plans. A great resource for low cost, practical plans is Atomic Zombie Extreme Machines! - Bikes Trikes and Chopper Plans - one of my favorites being the 'Warrior Tadpole Trike' Warrior Tadpole Trike - AtomicZombie.com - YouTube member build example: http://motorbicycling.com/f44/amped-...ior-27931.html

Where it gets ...tricky is ofc the body shell fabrication, wheelbase width & legality. It's extremely unlikely a body could be found that's ideal for a custom build and even if it were - just about all specialized velomobile & recumbent components are insanely overpriced. While just about everything other than the body shell can be found through other, more affordable sources or simply made - the body is a stumbling point, though not an insurmountable one if you've the time & resources.

While (pedal) trikes in any configuration are road legal everywhere that I'm aware of (motorized is ofc dependent on local law), width becomes an interesting difficulty in regions that lack sufficient roadside/shoulder room, this would be even more of a problem with a passenger velocar with a side by side seating, if passengers are allowed at all in an unregistered, uninsured vehicle (which, admittedly I've not looked into).

What is particularly unfortunate for velocar construction here in the states (as far as I know) is most, if not all jurisdictions outright forbid the use of any four-wheeled pedal vehicles, even if not motorized - as soon as you have that "extra" wheel it's considered a "home built automobile" and subject to all current inspection standards and requirements as such, which while also not insurmountable, radically changes the parameters of construction, resulting in something that's likely quite different from the vintage style velocars pictured.

Nevertheless you're completely correct & I'd like to thank you for digging up these excellent examples, you're "getting my wheels turning" so to speak lol - There is such a huge amount of potential in this almost forgotten concept and what with rising gas prices I hope to see a resurgence of these "low tech transport alternatives" people devised during the rigors and shortages of wartime. As you've probably noticed, I'm building a motorized tadpole not completely dissimilar from some of what's pictured (tho recumbent for comfort & efficiency), but for now at least I'm forgoing a body shell... maybe next year though, who knows? Some of these pics are quite inspiring

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 11-02-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Yes I've seen the pictures you have posted of your amazing Lifan powered three wheeler and was very much impressed by it. I can just imagine a lovely classic bodyshell inspired by the GP cars of the 1930s on your three wheeler

Here in New Zealand we aren't troubled too much by the problem of a four wheeled vehicle no longer being a bicycle, but I had heard this before about some US states being generally unsmiling over the issue. Fortunately most of the old classic 4 wheeled velocar designs could be converted into a three wheeler without too many problems should the need arise. So far I haven't ventured forth on anything more than a three wheeler as I own a Hercules ladies heavyweight bicycle I converted into a tricycle with an electric motor hub to help things along. I also own a Chinese Phoenix bicycle with a very solid sidecar chassis attached, but I haven't done anything intrepid to that as yet.

Living as I do in a rural farming district we don't have too many traffic problems, though one does have to very much respect the logging trucks and articulated milk tankers that share the roads if one wishes to remain alive. The township is set on the edge of a flat river plain so we aren't troubled very much by hills or steep ways of going. And I've always thought some of the long flat straight back roads in the district are just crying out for a velocar to test them out.
The local police folk mostly smile and wave whenever they see me out and about. Being a somewhat old fashioned looking middle aged lady does have its advantages you know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fantom3.jpg (44.4 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg Velocar2.jpg (66.1 KB, 793 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 AM
minor bike philosopher

I remember a very short lived attempt at this when I was about twenty five. It was called the ppv people pedaled vehicle. I never saw any outside the dealer's showroom though. Even then I thought it was a heck of an idea.
\
A motorized tadpole with a body might me something interesting to build. A modified Morgan body style would be appropriate.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

What a fun, well written and interesting thread this is. My Canadian friend Fasteddie (who isn't) and I are building tri cars. Mine is convertible from two wheeled, to two with sidecar and by next summer convertible to a tri-car with two wheels up front one in back. Fasteddie's build is under "Indian Tadpole" and mine in the thread "Indian Hiawatha". I've toyed with the idea of a two wheel conversion for the rear as well. Being legal doesn't worry me much providing everything can be converted from one configuration to another. I hadn't given much thought to a body, but will mull it over. It could be very light weight if it had a light wooden frame (or conduit) covered in stretched fabric like the old soap box Derby "cars". If you should discover plans for any of these interesting velocipedes please pass along links. I'd very much like to look over the front end steering options.
I would also like to extend a hearty welcome to the forum.
SB
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Gutter Rider

Fuel was plentiful and cheap, so when those ppv's were introduced they were just a novelty.

Today, when the impact of the peak oil scenario is affecting us in our daily lives, many of us will be at the vanguard of meeting transportation needs.

IMO, dacron over a cagework could suffice quite well at the speeds we travel.
...it works on ultralite aircraft!

Best
rc
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon View Post
...A motorized tadpole with a body might me something interesting to build. A modified Morgan body style would be appropriate.
For those that may be unfamiliar with the 'Morgan': http://motorbicycling.com/f44/morgan...ler-22454.html
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Gutter Rider

I always liked the Morgan, with it's Vtwin power plant!

But the Messerschmitt is my favorite!
A friend had one... they give you a stick with it, to use through a hole in the floor, for reverse! lol

Best
rc
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg messerschmitt-kr201-1958.jpeg (57.8 KB, 2273 views)

Tags
budget, engine, velocar