Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Indian Tadpole

I just remembered something, so I looked it up. It appears impractical, but don't you wish it wasn't?

http://www.hyperbariclink.com/diseas...x#.WHAfkFOLTIU
Old 01-07-2017, 02:58 AM

Thank you Ludwig. I looked them up and there is a clinic that has them locally. I'll call them next week and see if our medical plan will pay for it with a doctors OK and if not how much it is out of pocket. I'm sure it will be out of reach but then maybe it isn't.

Massage therapy and Chiropractors aren't inexpensive either.

Steve.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 AM

Sorry to hear of pains your having.

A cheaper way I'm not sure would help I was thinking of.

A friend of mine we used to be in a scuba club and go on boat trips diving. He call the diving getting our Nitrogen Fix. Even though we did not really get Nitrogen Narcosis (Not the Bends either), there seems to be a slight effect that you get.

Then there is breathing other than regular Air and instead Enriched Air (Nitrox). It is suppose to help prevent the Bends as it has a slightly higher Oxygen content than Air. Could using Nitrox be beneficial for other reasons, say when done at 66ft deep (2 atmospheres pressure)?

There is certification separate for Nitrox and I never got into it. The depth that Nitrox driving is safe to is shallower than for Regular Air, for otherwise there is danger of Oxygen Toxicity.

I know for sure Hyperbaric Chamber usage is very expensive, so insurance specific to include this is something when I am active diving I buy the insurance before I go. It is a yearly plan. Also it may have to be related to diving as well so no need to go shopping for it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Concept - if it's purely high pressure air, then is it possible to home build a chamber and feed it clean air from a low pressure compressor and spend a few hours a day in it? I'm thinking large diameter services pipes and the like with plywood door ends.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I think there is something to the air chamber idea, we have a place in New Mexico that according to topographical maps the altitude elevation is right at 7300 feet. At home our elevation is about 1600 feet. My aches and pains are a lot less at higher altitudes. We also usually spend a few days in Cloudcroft at about 8700 foot elevation and even that is better. But for a few days the huffing and puffing because of the thin air makes up for it, once we acclimate to the altitude even that goes away.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 PM

The high elevation is less oxygen and also less pressure, just the opposite. I think the altitude in some locations are just away from pollution and also pollen if above tree line maybe?

I looked at some links on the web page about the treatment in a Hyperbaric Chamber and it was not showing support. This one the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) did have a pdf file link on their finding of other about the use to help with side effects of some specific cancer drugs or combinations. It all was leaving it to more studies.

What I know of is that for nitrogen, as bubbles in the blood, Decompression sickness, that it has been used for quite a while since that it was called caisson disease. See the documentary of a designer of the Brooklyn Bridge where the term caisson disease came from. A father engineer and his son that over saw the construction ended with the bridge being built and his son getting the bends and leaving him disabled as well as many workers.

See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge

about the Roeblings'.

No one knew what coming up too quickly after staying down at depth too long was about. They were doing excavation and making the pilings for the bridge. If they could have kept the pressure in the chambers at sea level and somehow they were strong enough not to be crushed, then no one would have been disabled or died from the nitrogen. An alternative is mixing up Oxygen and Helium or another inert gas Argon could have also prevented this. Argon is a heavy gas so it also keeps you warmer and your voice does not get that high pitch. I saw an episode of Sea Hunt and they did not get that part right about voice chaining with breathing helium. I have watched documentaries with the designer of the aqualung and his son, Jacques-Yves Cousteau & Jean-Michel Cousteau, where I found it difficult to comprehend the voices at that high pitch. But the show Sea Hunt with Mike (Lloyd Vernet Bridges, Jr.) is interesting anyway.

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 01-07-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:54 PM

My son has finally rebuilt the trike he was given for the last time. He kept refining it until it was where he wanted it to be. The paint is 1971 Cuda' Green. He's in Vermont.

Any questions post them here and I'll pass them on.

Steve.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/a...pswgokrytt.jpg
Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 PM

The weather in this part on British Columbia is hard to forecast. It's been below 32F and snow covered for a couple of weeks now and while not cold by most peoples standards it is by ours. Normally it's 40-45F and wet. Very,very wet. Yesterday it rained and the temperature went up just enough not to freeze.

Today it was 45F by noon and sunny and Art and I got out and set up and welded up the rear of the tri car frame. Needs a bit of grinding but not a lot. I'll see how Art feels about it tomorrow but I plan to get as much of the grinding done as possible and the bike back together so it can be painted.

Steve.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Congratulations on your progress, Steve. Your temperatures sound like what we would call spring here in northeastern Minnesota. I've been looking forward to today as it is to be a balmy 20 above zero with more snow. Compared to the past couple of weeks that is warm. We had a day of sunshine awhile back and it was amusing how people crawled out of caves to blink and smile in the sunlight. "Nice day, eh?" Ya, you betcha!" Dispositions plunged along with the thermometer the next day. Thursday night it is to drop down to -24 which is plenty cold enough. Winters are milder in recent years than a few decades ago. -40 happened every winter and on one memorable morning it dropped to -63 on the thermometer. I stay inside in such weather but always think about the deer, moose and wolves out there somehow surviving. And the little chickadees with such skinny little legs... how do they manage? I digress. Hope your weather holds and that Art is cooperative. Just 4 1/2 months til the fishing opener, Steve. And Summer Bike Camp For Boys Who Never Grew Up comes soon after. Woohoo!
SB
Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Winter...back to sixties for a couple of days and plan on some progress myself. Glad to hear that welder, weldor and grinding are proceeding & working.
Silverbear enduring Winter here is much better than there. Rick C.)