Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

Default Re: Welding what do you use? Recommend?

Hey it looks like we are off to a good start.
I'd like to try smaller dia wire. I read that you can use smaller wire on the welder I have by just changing the tip and wire size the drive wheel has 2 grooves both are the same size 0.9mm the grooves are knurled supposed to be for flux core wire. I think the wire feed liner is sprial wire
like a bike brake cable liner.
I might try to get some 0.30 wire just to try in the welder.
This machine has only a high and a low setting for heat control. I wish there was a way to put a dial control on it to control the heat.
I plan on getting a cart for it soon just so I can move it around easier.Harbor Freight has the carts for $50.00 I can get a 20% off coupon on line then hit the store for the cart looks like
a nice kart for the price.
Do you guys buy larger spools of wire then re spool a smaller spool to fit your machine?
Mine has room for up to a 8" spool but the instructions say to use the 4" one pound spools.
The spool holder is plastic so the larger spools might break the holder.
Ilikeabikea bought the harbor freight wire and if I remember right he didn't like it as well as the Lincoln wire.

The welder I have is for flux core wire only it's not set up to use gas shielding.
I know the welders that use a shielding gas make cleaner welds, less splattering etc.
If I knew of a way to modify it for an adjustable heat control that would be great.
I'd be as happy as a fly eating fresh poop.

Last edited by Norman; 02-25-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Metal Molding Madman

norm spools of wire usually go by weight my 252 x takes 30 pound spools lol wire for a few yrs lol is it possible to hook up a small co2 /argon tank? if so then thats really the best way to go much cleaner and .0.26 wire is avail at harbor freight. I agree they have tons of stuff there but no tig supplies whaaaa. i love to weld...
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

The HF cart is pretty nice, for the money. I bought it about 2 months ago and kind of customized it to hold my mig and plasma cutter on one cart. The wheels could use an upgrade to a larger size, but it is a good deal.
I stick with the small rolls. Not enough savings for me compared to time invested to respool. The small spools last quite a while for the shadetree tinkerer.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

I didn't see much of a cost saving on buying larger spools maybe a buck or two.
I just was thinking, if I can't find the 1 lb spools I could get the larger spools.
I can get the 1 lb spools of Lincoln flux wire for $10.00 that seems to be about the average price
around here.
I do like this wire feed welder easy to use, light in weight ,very portable.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM

I use a hobart 210 wire feed mig in my home shop.I also have 2 lincoln pipe line welders at the farm shop along with the iron man 250 mig and a airforce plasma cutter.They were mostly from Holox.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Fairracing had this on a different thread its interesting so I'll put it here. I think this guy is from the U.K. he's got some nice short videos to watch along with still photos.

Learning MIG Welding

you can also go to the forum most of it is from Europe and the U.K., so the wording is a little different along with prices but still interesting reading.
Have fun looking.

Last edited by Norman; 02-25-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 PM

lincoln wire 110 volt welder flux core wire. Has hookups for air just havent done it yet. And an old lincoln big stick welder 220 volt.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM

0910 RetailB
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a Lincoln "tombstone" (that is the shape) that I've had for 40 years and now use it mostly with tiny rod from HF at 40 or 60 amps for bike related stuff. With that rod it will even work plugged into 110V.
Speaking of HF, I have 2 expensive welding helmets at work - the Miller is supposed to self -turn on first strike- it doesn't - you get a flash, then it will work. Or you first hit the reset button (second one I tried- same thing) and another brand has a on/off button. But the HF auto-dark helmet works like it is supposed to all the time and no batterys. Go figure...
I have a small set of tanks for welding / braising/ cutting - Keep it under the workbench. Would love a small mig but am out of room!
On plasma cutting- I have a big one at work and it is amazing, BUT it fills the room with a foul cloud of vaporized metal if used for very long. Maybe a small unit would be beter, this one cuts a path somewhat larger than 1/8 inch.
It is much more dangerous than a torch to me- blowing molten metal a lot farther than a cutting torch. i am always looking for ways to block the array of metal spray from getting to me or my gloves.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note to anyone contemplating buying a plasma cutter...you'd better have a good sized air compressor to go with it. They are not stand alone machines but require a huge amount of compressed air to function properly. They are great machines however for anyone doing custom fabrication. Far superior to a cutting torch and grinder. Next best would be a metal cutting band saw. Neither are something for the casual/weekend hobbiest.
Tom