Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Default Welding what do you use? Recommend?

This might be fun. Post what you like and use. Let not make this into a whizzing match on which machine is better, if this turns into a whizzing match I will delete you post.. I'll say my welders are all cheap but work for me.
This is more for being able to find out what works for you. Info on the least expensive welder that works good.
Places where you get good deals on supplies.
Places where you get accessory's that many might not know about etc. Maybe even how to soup up a cheap welder to make it do what you want it to do. I've found some welding forums that tell how to soup up the Harbor Freight wire feed welders in case you have one already. Check this out. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=33848

I use an oxygen/ acetylene torch mostly. I have a buzz box ac welder hardly ever use it. I just bought a cheap
flux core wire feed welder Century 80 GL. Couldn't pass it up looked at a lot of other welders
but this was a deal.
This thing works right out of the box better than I thought it would. I'm learning how to weld thin metal with it sheet metal is tough to do still learning and might need to do some changes to make it work right
Here's some cheap tips if found searching on the web.
to keep the tip clean from splatters use Pam cooking spray on the tip also supposed to work on keeping the metal splatters from sticking to the welded area. I have not tried this the old lady would get up set if I stole here kitchen stuff.
I have tried using vaseline on the tip makes the splatters very easy to wipe off, prevents it from sticking to the tip just dip the tip in the vaseline and go to welding.
All I've used so far is the Lincoln flux cored wire with this welder 0.035 dia. I have to use the flux core as this machine is not designed for gas shielding the wire.
For a cheap wire feed welder it works good so far.
Its supposed to be able to run smaller 0.030 wire I haven't tried it yet.
It may need a smaller wire drive wheel and tip, I read that you can run the smaller wire with out changing the drive wheel or tip if your using flux core wire.
One thing I found out right to start with is do not let the end of the spool of wire loose. Keep a tight grip on the wire it will go crazy if you let it slip as your feeding it in to the drive wheel.
A auto darkening welding helmet is a must have for wire feed or arc welding.
Don't wear your good glasses either, they will get welding boogers on them when welding.
Walmart sells the magnifying reading glasses they will work good for us who need to wear glasses to see, or you can get welding lens that have magnification built in them.
I didn't use my good glasses, just thought it might help one of you guys from having your good glasses get ruined.

Last edited by Norman; 02-24-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Default Re: Welding what do you use? Recommend?

i'm gonna be the first one to say "I use JB Weld!" just to get it out of the way...(even though i don't really use it.)

i don't have a welder, yet. moving out in april, hopefully to a place where i can have one without someone thinking i'm gonna burn the house down.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

i use a miller 150 gas fed wire machine..its 10years old and still works good...my next rig will be a tig.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I mainly use lincoln wire welder. Harbor Freight is a great place for supplies. Tips, wire, brushes, chipping hammers, welding blankets, auto hoods, welding gloves, etc. A welding jacket or long sleeve denim shirt is a good thing to remember before welding!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 PM

I use to work at a place that had a tig machine that could weld an aluminum can back together! I didn't believe until I saw it. That was an impressive machine.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

I have a Miller water cooled high frequency TIG and a Hobart MIG machine. I use both on bikes depending on what I'm doing. The TIG is the best for high stress areas but for quick tack welds and general welding the MIG (wire feed with .024 wire) is the easiest and quickest.
I use shielding gas with the MIG, C-25, (argon/co2 mix) and Argon for TIG. I've done some aluminum stuff with the MIG but it requires a teflon liner for the wire, reverse polarity and straight argon. Aluminum also takes a lot of practice to stay proficient. I like steel. I also have Oxy/Acetylene...okay for heating or cutting but I don't use it much.
Tom

Last edited by 2door; 02-24-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 PM

I use oxy/acetylene because that is what I have. It will weld steel, braze and silver solder. I used it to weld a 4130 airplane fuselage that worked good. I feel that if it will weld airplane tubing it will be ok for bicycles.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 AM

I have a small Lincoln MIG for welding. I have .030 wire in it right now. I have used .025 and .035 as well depending on what I was primarily welding at the time.

I have a nice small portable oxy acet rig with a much larger high quality cutting torch I use when I need the ol' blue wrench.

Some day I will take the time to sit down with the welding tips and learn to use it for more.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 AM

What about a plasma cutter, any of you guys have one. I love my plasma cutter. No gas bottles to move around or get filled. No expensive regulators, hoses, or torches. Just 110v and compressed air will slice through 1/4 inch like butter.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Metal Molding Madman

ok norm. the way i look at it is any welder is better than no welder. I have a miller 252 x mig and a diversion 165 tig. to be completely honest the tig welder works really good but its def not good for tacking stuff and holding it with the workpiece with other hand. sheet metal will be esier for ya norm if you try the 0.30 too bad they dont make 0.26 or do they? cause that would be even better. if you really had to out in the woods four wheeling if you broke something my friends carry welding sticks for an arc welder i've seen it work but use jumper cables to weld hooked up to battery lol it was nuts but worked