Chinese toys?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just asking.
I was looking at some of the stuff on the sidebars like the Chinese made dual purpose bikes, trikes and whatevers. I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought any of those, and if they are as bad, er- "challenging" as the bicycle motor kits?

http://www.scooterdepot.us/db-d250rte-a.html

I know in my heart of hearts that I would be better off buying a good used Suzuki or Honda, but I am a cat with a suicidal bent, and was just curious.

Comments?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a neighbor who is an avid motorcyclist. His two car garage is full of bikes. I asked him about that $2500.00 chopper and he warned me away from it. He said you can't get replacement parts and the build quality is very shoddy. I like the looks of the bike but I'd hate to think that if I needed a carb rebuild kit or a wheel bearing that I'd be out of luck.

I suppose you have to look at it this way, "ya gets what ya pay for". $2500 for a new motorcycle??? Hmmmm.

Tom

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have 0 experience w/ any of those products so take what i say with a few grains of salt.

i see many many china scoots for sale.
they always are said to be running but not running well.
from what i read is that parts are hard to come by.

i own 2 piaggo's (1 is a vespa)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I looked at pocket bikes, and super pocket bikes.
It seems like there are online suppliers for most things you would want.
We're just gonna need to learn how to buy from distant sources.
I just had very good experience with treatland.tv for french ped parts.
Discussion in the forums will be of great help when folks go to shopping for repair parts.
rc

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well.....I used to work on Chinese scooters, and atv's and I was just wondering if anyone had bought one of these LATELY.

I got away from working on them because they were SO bad, and as soon as I'd fix 'em, they would be calling with another problem, until the cost of ownership out weighed the fun factor. (real fast) I could have had a junk yard full of them too...maybe I should have, scrap has gone up considerably in the last few years.

I would just buy a good used Japanese bike.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Is that a four stroke? 150cc? What year?

Keep me posted...I have a Yamaha Vino 50 with 11,000 miles with just one plug change, one rear tire, final drive oil changes, air filter cleanings, and a headlight bulb.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Joe, I suspect everything you have said is true.
and I NEED a pretty, gas saver to cut my household travel expenses right now.
there's two $10 trips each day, and it would be of great benefit if that could be cut in half.
Problem is, I'm near a college town, where young people seem to feel just about anything retains value, regardless of quality!
and many feel an object is 'graced' by their possession of it! lol

Example:
Most recently I 'missed out' on a 10yr old low mileage moped that LOOKED very nice.
THAT criteria fit the bill.
But it had non-functioning lights, which I must have.
The fix COULD run to abt $290, not including labor.
SO, a $550 asking price for a $1,200 new price moped was NOT a deal! At least for me...

Among the problems is that, as many of us have learned, 50cc, in general, does NOT provide sufficient power to deal with customary traffic situations.

From a prior post, it seems that Yank has achieved the neighborhood of $1.50 per mile.
I'm looking for an end cost of about $.010 per mile traveled.

Yah, I'm a cheapskate!

Best
rc

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well lessee...1700 bux purchase price for my Vino, a 29 dollar tire, two plugs at 2 bux each, a 4 dollar headlight bulb, 'bout 5 quarts of oil for the final drive changes @ 2 bux a quart, plug gas @ 3.50 per gallon average at 90 mpg average, insurance and plate for the last 10 years....= math headache, and a lot of fun! :)

The motorized bikes have definitely been less money.

My main question was "are these Chinese built murdercycles any better than the ones I used to set up and work on?" The answer?

"I will only know if I buy one, and that ain't gonna happen." :)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
And just for the record, I am still running the same battery that came with it new...10 years on a 3 year battery- now THAT'S value!!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks Ibedayank.

As I said, trying to find out if they have improved from the "good old days". I honestly never worked on one that made it past the 500 mile mark, (many had problems with the valve seals disintegrating) yours seems to be doing quite well.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I check-in on scoot dawg occasionally to see which scooters work and which don't. Many think the mainland Chinese scooters are getting better and parts easier to find (at least on-line). If you work on your own scooters, a mainland Chinese scooter may be worth it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am still running the original belt. 11,000 miles and counting. I bought a replacement at 5000 but it's still in the package hanging on the shop wall. The original belt shows 1mm of wear from new.

I get right around 90mpg, but that's at 35mph or so, and I am only running a 50cc two stroke. I have gotten over 100 mpg, but that's at 20-25 mph. If i run it at a constant 42-ish, it drops to about 85 mpg.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's when I check mine...I got a belt from ebay. Yep, made in china. Not sure where the original Yamaha item is from, probably China. :)