what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Fixed my motor mounts today. I have a skinny frame, and the motor mounts that were given to me (4 stroke) were made for a fat frame. I had made some shims out of folded pieces of sheet metal (dumb idea) and they became very loose to the point that my motor was vibrating violently in the frame. I made new shims by cutting some tubing off an aluminum frame that had already previously been cut on, and the new shims are working much better. The motor is mounted solid again, and I can feel the difference in the ride. So much better.

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

Put on a new exhaust (new to me) because my original one had a hole from the cranks rubbing while peddling. Bent this one so no more rubbing. And I got a new clutch lever. After everything was installed I let my bike idle and next thing you know there was a little bit of white smoke coming out by the head gasket. Lookin like a little more work for today.

CaptainDishman

Feb 28, 2013
Salem, Virginia

Finally removed my stock handlebars from my Schwinn '95 Clear Creek MTB. I was getting tired of leaning over all the time with the straight bar style. Got some nice cruiser style bars but didn't factor in the differences. I need longer cables and new cable housing with end caps. The cruiser bars give the bike an entire new look. Soon I will be giving my neck and back a rest.

Outraaageous

Apr 15, 2013
Florida

Nothing, Nothing at all today! Once i get off my but ill be attaching my throttle and cut off switch to my handlebars. Then i need to refab a piece that will attack my spindal to my flywheel. The gentleman i got to drill the holes in my washes did a piss poor job and they are not centered >.> I told the man they were $1.50 a piece and a 20 min drive away. Yet he still f***ed them up pretty bad. So another trip to ace hardware it is!

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi

Pulled my rear wheel off...again to tighten the coaster hub. Came loose to a wobble and sprocket bolts grabbed the brake support and bent it up, glad I have a spare!

CaptainDishman

Feb 28, 2013
Salem, Virginia

Got my new cruiser handlebars set up with everything in a nice position for easy access and better cable management. The cables look a little rough... but it's better than it was. Trust me :)

Took it out for a spin today and it is like a dream. Leaning into the old bars would force all of the front wheel bumps straight to my shoulders, back, and neck. Now I can sit back and relax my back/butt on the seat suspension. It's like a dream.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

double checked my head bolts, filed my exhaust flange flat (wasn't sealing), re-centered both wheels, checked my oil, put a little air in my tires, and put some loctite on the bolts holding my pull start cover and the set screws on my luggage rack.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I'm gonna install a front caliper brake and a speedometer in just a bit.

No matter what product I have, I always seem to be 'modding' it in some fashion!!

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Well lets see,,

Repaired a fuel line,,
snugged up all hardware
bent my tensioner a little more
greased my primary gears and push rod/ball
lubed cables
fixed a tight carb slide

Enjoyed every minute of it..

Now Im going riding!!

Good times :)

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Nothing, Nothing at all today! Once i get off my but ill be attaching my throttle and cut off switch to my handlebars. Then i need to refab a piece that will attack my spindal to my flywheel. The gentleman i got to drill the holes in my washes did a piss poor job and they are not centered >.> I told the man they were $1.50 a piece and a 20 min drive away. Yet he still f***ed them up pretty bad. So another trip to ace hardware it is!
How the below post relates: With a drill press you can do the work yourself drilling the washers being sure they are centered.

Without a dill press, if you have a Dremel Tool or the like, the grinder wheels as I mentioned below I save a couple of each of various sizes worn to different diameters, they can cut the hole in a washer as I have done. A cheap vice to go along with it I make parts whenever I like.

When I have for the largest bit only a 3/8" bit for my 3/8" chuck drill, although stepped bits are available, I resort to using the largest bit first followed by the grinder thin disks. If the metal is really thick, the cost in disks would not be worth it, but for washers, I have made 5/8" bore quite nicely.

Here is a post I made:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=474176#post474176

FYI, I found that when using the Dremel cut off wheels, I stop using them at various levels of wear when I am cutting.

This allows me to have a couple of different diameter sizes so they fit where they otherwise would not. I intend to use them not so much as cutters when they are worn smaller diameter but as shapers. The solid grinders have too much surface area to shape quickly in a small area I have found usually.

It has helped me out many times over. I have to switch wheels, but they seem to allow carving more smooth than the metal cutter.

I know the metal cutters have there use, but I am partial to those grinder wheels even though they wear way faster.

MT

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

FYI, I found that when using the Dremel cut off wheels, I stop using them at various levels of wear when I am cutting.

This allows me to have a couple of different diameter sizes so they fit where they otherwise would not. I intend to use them not so much as cutters when they are worn smaller diameter but as shapers. The solid grinders have too much surface area to shape quickly in a small area I have found usually.

It has helped me out many times over. I have to switch wheels, but they seem to allow carving more smooth than the metal cutter.

I know the metal cutters have there use, but I am partial to those grinder wheels even though they wear way faster.

MT
I was going to mention that somewhere myself.. I recently had a small job that the 'left over' wheels made easy and a full size just wouldn't have fit or done the job well if it had.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

How the heck did you manage that,,or was it the china girls fault,,did the casting break?
Casting broke at the carb neck.

I think it was weak since the clamping part at the intake was almost completely closed.
Hit too many hard bumps at 35 mph down hill (like a boss) and it goes snap. :D

Couldn't figure out why it fell off twice.

brnot

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Oh I hear ya,,
I was thinking to take a ride down the river here on Weds.its an old train track that they made a bike path out of,,it looks a little rough,,but Ill take my time,,5 miles down 5 back.

Take care and have fun brother!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Oh I hear ya,,
I was thinking to take a ride down the river here on Weds.its an old train track that they made a bike path out of,,it looks a little rough,,but Ill take my time,,5 miles down 5 back.

Take care and have fun brother!!

Man I wish I could take the beast down the local concrete bike/walk path. It's got lots of tight twists and turns. But I would be afraid of getting stopped by the cops and being made to ride back under pedal power. Ugh. lol
Either way, since the bike is down at the moment, the engine is going to be ripped out, cleaned up, and I'm gonna get some work done to smooth it out a bit. :D

Should be fun.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Man I wish I could take the beast down the local concrete bike/walk path. It's got lots of tight twists and turns. But I would be afraid of getting stopped by the cops and being made to ride back under pedal power. Ugh. lol
Either way, since the bike is down at the moment, the engine is going to be ripped out, cleaned up, and I'm gonna get some work done to smooth it out a bit. :D

Should be fun.
Good thing about this tow path is the cops cant get to it very easy,,there is a canal between the road and the path and miles before an entry way,,guess they could wait for me at the end,,by then I would be back to my truck so no pedaling...lol..I do most of my riding over in PA.its right across the bridge from me..they seem alot cooler over there,,I have not had any problem with the cops around here yet,,but I just creep around 18-20 MPH and obey all the traffic rules.I really enjoy riding at night also,,feels like your going so much faster in the dark :)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Good thing about this tow path is the cops cant get to it very easy,,there is a canal between the road and the path and miles before an entry way,,guess they could wait for me at the end,,by then I would be back to my truck so no pedaling...lol..I do most of my riding over in PA.its right across the bridge from me..they seem alot cooler over there,,I have not had any problem with the cops around here yet,,but I just creep around 18-20 MPH and obey all the traffic rules.I really enjoy riding at night also,,feels like your going so much faster in the dark :)
This path is patrolled by bike cops every once in a while. Granted, that's not to say I can't out run them, of course. ;) Shoot, I could prolly out run 'em on my '68, not like I would. ;)

I've ridden my mtn bike at night a little bit, it's kinda weird when you're used to riding with sunglasses. lol