Ghost racer 7g kit help?

GoldenMotor.com

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
I have my ghost racer 7g kit on the way. And I had a couple of questions.

I want to order manic mechanic hub adapter and the rear sprocket. The stock kit comes with a 44 tooth sprocket but I read that most people buy a 56 tooth sprocket for 4 strokes. Since this kit is fairly new is the transmission gearing better suited for 44 Tooth vs 56 tooth?

I ordered a gt2a frame for it and was curious if anyone could direct me to a good set of mountain bike shocks that would work with my fat 210lb ass and the extra weight of the motor kit?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The GT2 4-stroke frame is not the best for the 4-stroke, I think the 2-stroke one with the pedestal would be better as it has an S downtube not a straight one.

You have almost no room in the cavity and the tank output is right at the seat post.

Just something to keep in mind.

As far as dropping $80 on a hub mount direct drive sprocket consider a jackshaft and 3-speed hub.

I got that matching wheelset on-line for ~$140 delivered and that bike just flat rocked as a commuter.

Anyway, you have lots of work ahead of you and I wish you the best luck.

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
Actually I bought the frame for the two stroke since they are on sale for 99.99.

Where do you suggest getting the jack shaft hub.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Actually I bought the frame for the two stroke since they are on sale for 99.99
Cool, you will most likely need to cut that post down but I don't know, I only did the 4-stroke one.
Where do you suggest getting the jack shaft hub.
I get a lot of parts from http://SickBikeParts.com
Jackshaft kit, bottom bracket, dual pull brake lever, spark plug, etc.

How do you plan to paint your bare aluminum frame?

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
I was planning on sanding it and using some good automotive rattle paint and clear coat.

I might also just take it to a body shop and let them spray it for me.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I was planning on sanding it and using some good automotive rattle paint and clear coat.

I might also just take it to a body shop and let them spray it for me.
I used the auto painting outfit around the corner and they didn't do a very good job and charged me too much but better than I could do with a rattle can.
Check to see what local shops will do for you.

Be it paint or powder coat be sure to take ALL the parts with you.
That means the motor base plate and it's mounting brackets, fenders, racks/baskets, chain guard, etc.

Did you decide on direct drive or shifting yet?

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
I was thinking direct drive for reliability, more moving parts for shift kit. I would need a 3 speed hub with coaster brake and that's just asking for trouble. I set up my bikes like a motorcycle. Front brake on right, rear brakes at my feet.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The 7G has a 5:1 reduction, with a 26" wheel the kits 44T works fine for 'good enough' dead stop start and get you to ~30mph.

I tend to disagree with you about a 3-speed internal hub however.
I have over 30 shifter builds with all kinds of power and back wheels and the 3-speed is the most reliable I have seen and with motor power all ya need.

Since you have to buy a whole bottom bracket and pedal assembly anyway I still suggest you go with a SBP 4-stroke shift kit and 3-speed.

Last edited:

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
I decided to take you advise and go with a shift kit from sick bikes and 3 speed hub. I'm waiting on that kit to come in so I can powder coat everything.

I'll be using the bike to commute to work and need it to get up to at least 40 mph so I don't get run over, in a single lane no shoulder road.

radaracer285

Oct 13, 2014
michigan
2 wheeled vehicles are always in the way not matter what the speed. Cops enjoy making an example of the motorized bicycle no matter what the written law states. These bicycles are not made for these speeds (like 40 mph) no matter what frame we buy or try to stuff in these bicycle frames. Plain bicycles can still be given tickets/warnings for speeds over 25 MPH in any State. Attracting attention to ourselves only creates problems.... Just look at Deals Gap and what happens to a motorcycle when it gets out of 2nd gear (Ticket/Crash wise). These motorized bicycles love to throw a chain and it can lock the rear wheel. I think the Kent Del Rio has the most room for the 4 stroke engine and its 7 speed for when you have to pedal home.

Aceinthesky

Nov 9, 2014
Pearland, TX
I'm not building this bicycle to ride around my neighborhood, it will be a commuter. I don't see how that will be attracting any implied negative attention. I have seen cops while riding my other motorized bicycles and they simply wave. Being a jackass on the bike and acting like a kid is what attracts attention. I will be abiding by all traffic laws, will be wearing a helmet, and ridding on the same roads non motorized bicycles are legal to ride on. As long as they don't clock me I should be ok lol. Motorized bicycles are not illegal in Texas and there are no city ordinance against them here.

I'm using a gt2-a skyhawk frame which is specifically designed for motorized bicycles.

There is an inherent danger with riding any two wheeled vehicle. Yes, the chain might come off, I might hit a pot hole and fly off the bike, or I could even get hit by a meteor on my way to work. I guess the only way I could be safe from all these things is to stay home in bed under the cover and the nothing could happen to me, or could it!!!

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm not building this bicycle to ride around my neighborhood, it will be a commuter. I don't see how that will be attracting any implied negative attention. I have seen cops while riding my other motorized bicycles and they simply wave. Being a jackass on the bike and acting like a kid is what attracts attention. I will be abiding by all traffic laws, will be wearing a helmet, and ridding on the same roads non motorized bicycles are legal to ride on. As long as they don't clock me I should be ok lol. Motorized bicycles are not illegal in Texas and there are no city ordinance against them here.

I'm using a gt2-a skyhawk frame which is specifically designed for motorized bicycles.

There is an inherent danger with riding any two wheeled vehicle. Yes, the chain might come off, I might hit a pot hole and fly off the bike, or I could even get hit by a meteor on my way to work. I guess the only way I could be safe from all these things is to stay home in bed under the cover and the nothing could happen to me, or could it!!!
You are lucky. I think what he was getting at is like here in MN,and other states you can only go 20 top speed, and no manual shifting only automatic. That would be CVT like mopeds have

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I decided to take you advise and go with a shift kit from sick bikes and 3 speed hub. I'm waiting on that kit to come in so I can powder coat everything.

I'll be using the bike to commute to work and need it to get up to at least 40 mph so I don't get run over, in a single lane no shoulder road.
That system will run over 35 MPH depending on resistance like weight, wind and road.

With the right exhaust and an NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) Iridium spark plug you get a little more power.

Top speed depends on how you gear it get the speed you want with the power you have.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
With my fat butt I'll prob top out at 30 on a flat road and do about 70 downhill. Lol
Hehehe ;-}
Wind resistance after ~30 MPH is your biggest enemy, not weight.

Ever ride a motorized recumbent?
You can feel like running a luge with just a single horsey because of the low wind resistance.

In between is a low trike, like this 960W 48V 35Ah 7-speed electric shifter.

Not practical for main road commuting but killer for this old guy in a gated retirement community ;-}

Anyway just random tips.

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
Depending on where you live you have to make sure that you can functionally pedal the bike. If you remove the pedaling function it is no longer an motor assisted bicycle. Which opens you up to no insurance or registering tickets.

I only mentioned since you said you put your rear brake in the right foot. Unless you just mean you have a coaster brake system.

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
How do you get 35 out of a 7g kit. I've built one for myself and one for a friend. Mountain bike frames. I'm 220 and he is 180. Both top out at 24.5. I'm carrying much more load than he is but both bikes side by side ride the same top end.

I did use the smaller wheel sprocket i already had on both bikes from a 2 stroke kit. Figuring that means slower take off, higher top speed.