First real ride - 20 miles

GoldenMotor.com

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
the finished ride
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...qI/AAAAAAAAAEk/S_6Y5xyegzY/s605/Picture+3.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...zI/AAAAAAAAAEA/6GQ-e0YqYjM/s605/Picture+4.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...cI/AAAAAAAAAEM/1LbOjRKAX3w/s605/Picture+6.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...lI/AAAAAAAAAEc/IoOHjzOWh0s/s605/Picture+7.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...fI/AAAAAAAAAEg/7fdHqOI6eQU/s605/Picture+8.jpg

So far its working fantastic.

So after a few days of chains breaking now I need a half link on the pedal side chain to make it perfect.

The ride 10 miles to the beach was uneventful. I live in Florida. I coasted up to intersections and redlights, walked the bike across, pedaled up and motored off. I passed two police officers with no interaction or problems, heres to the rest of my life that way. I took the neighborhoods and back roads to avoid traffic more than police. On the way home the heat shield covering the muffler vibrated off. The screws didnt move, the cheap sheet metal tore from around the screw. The front fender mounts sheared as well, Im lucky I didnt wreck! So any metal that doesnt absolutely have to be on the bike is getting removed. lol.crazyness. I loved it and it took 45 min for the 10 mile trip. Im taking it easy until the first two tanks are run through and its broken in. so far its awesome!dance1

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Great looking Cranny. When I was breaking in my motorbike, I had a four mile loop on low speed roads that I used. It was all right turns too. I tried to take a 20 minute ride every evening until it was broken in. It was nice to feel the engine gain power and smoothness during those days.
I don't know why fender struts are so flimsy. They have always been that way. My mountain bike (no motor) has strutless fenders made by top peak. The front mounts in the bottom of my steering tube. The rear mounts to the seat post. They look OK on a mountain bike, but probably not so much on a cruiser. You should be able to find some stronger fender struts on-line somewhere.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The Cranbrook is a model offered by Huffy. Sold at Wally World (Walmart) and Target. Made in China and a very popular first time bike for motorizing due to the initial price. Usually well under $100.

Not the choice of most experienced builders but still a bike favored by many and some have accrued many trouble free miles on the "Cranny".

Fenders are always a source of concern no matter the manufacturer. They aren't made or designed for a motorized bicycle so engine vibrations become an issue with their mounting tabs and brackets.
Be very cautious unless you reinforce the fender mountings;especially with the front fender.

Tom

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Great to hear your ride went smoothly! Also, good move on getting rid of any unnecessary items. I had fenders on a previous build but they were secured with two supports and attached to the frame as well. On my new build (without fenders) I realize how much noise they were making on my first build. Keep an eye on the back tensioner, make sure it is secure before each ride, they have a tendency to vibrate inward toward the spokes.

Enjoy the ride! usflg

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Second day of riding, I promise I wont post a message for each day. I bought a chain tool today, got some spare links and put together my emergency repair kit incase I run into trouble on the road. I road around town today and saw no cops at all. No issues with traffic either. I ran my errands and had fun doing it. Nothing else fell off the bike today, lol.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Not sure if your frame is aluminum or steel, but if its steel weld the tensioner immediately...it very well can cause you and your bike much damage...personal experience...fenders are good if you get a good set that has struts and mounting tabs...a front fender can save your magneto...good luck and hope you get many more long trips

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I am planning on getting fenders with heavy duty rod struts my next payday. Its a alluminum bike but I do a clearance check each day and also check the tightness of the bolts. Thanks for the advice!

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
very nice reading, I too have heard of the perils of the stock chain tensioner. I am using the stock tensioner now and it has been moved so that if it is pulled into the tire its at a position to contact the tire and rim and not the spokes. Additionally Ive played with my new chain tool and have the links just right on both sides and the machine works wonderfully. The chaintensioner really does a fine job and I may be the only fan in the world of the stock tensioner. It does a fine job aligning the chain and preventing the whipping of a loose chain. No doubt I dont trust it and check it before every ride. Im very happy with what I got from Kings and the skyhawk 66cc motor. I hope that I can say that in 3 months, 6 months and a year from now.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
So today is my longest ride to date, 16 miles each way. I also had to climb the intercoastal waterway bridge each way. The good news is the bike made the climb and the trip terrifically. Yes I increased the amount of oil in the fuel mix to 32:1 ratio so Im sure that helped. I can only imagine what the mods I have planned will do for its performance overall. at 270lbs the engine carried me up the inclines at 20mph. Its such a huge time saver for me. No issues with the cops today. I rode past two of them and they didnt even flinch.
Now the bad news, I got a flat on my way home and had to walk quite a ways to the gas station for the air pump. Then about a mile from my home I got another flat in the same tire. I walked the rest of the way, lesson learned! why the heck was my air pump not in my emergency kit? I had the patches and even a spare tube!

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.
That's a Legacy like mine.Went thru the wheels pretty quick but never checked or grease them ether,no regrets was pretty rough on them.Basic frame,seat and bars all holding up.No complaints.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Rear tire fixed this morning with some slime. On the way down the street today the cap to the muffler vibrated off! Gheeze, I cant wait till everything possible is secure! ha ha. That sucker is loud with that off of there.