Boy Go Fast (BGF) Sprocket Misalignment

GoldenMotor.com

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Hello

I hope this pictures shows what my problem is. When I first glanced at the parts I thought I could make adjustments, but this seem like more than a few holes being off a little :oops: Would you guys try to elongate the holes and trim the three backing plates? or just try to get new ones? It seems alot of the kits a see just used two, not the three. I dont think BGF is going to be much help.

Thanks

Forrest

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

In looking at the pics, it seems as though the plates overlap.

Even if you elongated the holes, the plates seem to still overlap and that could cause problems (Of course the plates could be cut but that's a whole lot of extra time).

If it were me, I would try contacting the seller and have them look at the pics you posted...Maybe that can help you out.

Just my 2 cents

Hope this helps.

Andrew

PS - Just thinking about it BUT there are 2 different 9 hole patterns out there...A small bcd 9 hole and a larger BCD 9 hole pattern....I think maybe you got the large BCD mounting plates and a small BCD sprocket (that would explain the plates overlapping and the holes not lining up...I believe the large BCD pattern uses 8 mm bolt holes and the smaller patter uses 6 mm bolt holes...in either event I think the plates are not correct for the sprocket and the simple "fix" may be to ask for the proper mounting plates

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
those plates are not made to align flat. they are made to be used on the other side of the rag, and pushed apart until they align. thats why they are called locking plates. because when the rag stretches as you push them apart and tighten the nuts, they lock into place.

rjs467

Feb 5, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I assembled the bracing plates to the sprocket as you show them in your photo. Now take a fine black magic marker, scribe along these excess-metal points, and if you have a pair, take aviation snips and cut along these scribe-lines, taking off one metal-strip per plate. All has fit together fine for me, the sprocket is "level balanced" and I drove the bike FAR. I mean FAR. "I can see for mile and miles." If you want to get technical, cut a 45/45 joint per each two plates. Rather than a one-plate straight-cut. But the same amount of metal must be removed. Good luck.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
mine wasnt BGF but they aligned perfectly.
i had two sets of plates,one had 4 and 5 holes,other set had 3 each.
both laid flat on the sprocket and worked fine.

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Thanks for all the tips.

Andrew I took your advice and sent the Picture to BGF. I have to give him credit, he is sending the correct parts. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Forrest

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
I received the correct parts from BGF, They are smalller and the holes line up perfect. So I would say if you have parts that match my picture, try to get the right ones.

Forrest