Rear sprocket question -> new guy

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
Alrighty, I had a question about hooking up a bigger sprocket to a 20" rim and I figured you guys here were the best to ask.

I've decided to add another project onto my list by helping my buddy out with motorizing his Jesse James chopper bike. I've seen those $20 spoke mounted sprocket kits all over ebay but how much abuse can those things take? The motor we plan on using is a Briggs 5hp flathead. And if any of you have had the pleasure of messing with them you'd know those are a pretty torquey breed of engine. I'm worried that the spoke mounted sprocket would be a bad idea- that the torque would eventually do bad things to the spokes. But I wouldn't know for sure. And if it really is a bad idea, is there another way of setting up a bigger sprocket? We don't really plan on keeping the pedals because of how big the motor is, so the original wheel sprocket is always there, but something tells me that's a bad idea too.. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance for the help, I could use what I learn here on my own scratch built bobber later down the road when I finally finish my Rupp.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Best not to use the factory type "rag" mount.

The two basic aftermarket ways to mount a sprocket more precisely / better would be the Top Hat Sprocket Adapter for disc brake hubs or the "clam shell" type adapters that clamp onto the wheel hub itself.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
alright, so a disk brake hub and a top hat adapter. when you buy the top hat from kings sales does it come with a sprocket? or do you buy one of their colored sprockets and leave a note saying it's for the top hat? I seem to be a little confused by their description.

maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Andy makes the best sprockets there is! I would use a hub adaptor with it. Manaic or whever it is now days has one, Pirate I think. SBP can help you too. (c)

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
Andy makes the best sprockets there is! I would use a hub adaptor with it. Manaic or whever it is now days has one, Pirate I think. SBP can help you too. (c)
huh? forgive me I'm a tad new to this. Who's andy? do you mean the top hat adapter? because that seems to be the best thing I've seen so far. where and what is SBP? pardon my ignorance.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
alright, so a disk brake hub and a top hat adapter. when you buy the top hat from kings sales does it come with a sprocket? or do you buy one of their colored sprockets and leave a note saying it's for the top hat? I seem to be a little confused by their description.

maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Best to order the sprocket you need at the same time you get the Top Hat adapter. If you're lucky you can get ahold of the dude.

Supposedly, you can specify the color you want/need when you order it. If you can get ahold of him.

Last edited:

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
Mr.GhettoRig, Here is the one from Pirate Cycles http://www.piratecycles1.com/picycbspad.html

Dan
I like it! means I don't have to buy a new hub as well as the adapter. the rear wheel I'm using is a coaster brake hub. so the size "1.520-1.528" would be correct? and I like how it doesn't clamp on to the spokes but how well does it stay true? it needs to experience zero lateral or radial run out or with that motor we'll be blowing chains all the time.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Manic? (One "A" in Manic, and 'maniac' is spelled like so) He's out of business.
Jim the original Manic Mechanic is out of business but he sold the
rights and website to a very nice guy named George who is still
making the hub adapter and sprockets.and will be making the
rest of the MM line like the intakes and version II head.

George is making the sprocket adapters with a higher grade of
finish than MM did and they are on the shelf ready to ship.

www.mmbikeparts.com

B&S Machining has acquired the production rights to all of the Manic Mechanic product designs. We currently have both the large and small bolt circle CB-110 Sprocket Adapters, 40T & 48T sprockets and standard shorty performance intakes in stock for immediate shipment. Click here to order.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Jim the original Manic Mechanic is out of business but he sold the
rights and website to a very nice guy named George who is still
making the hub adapter and sprockets.and will be making the
rest of the MM line like the intakes and version II head.

George is making the sprocket adapters with a higher grade of
finish than MM did and they are on the shelf ready to ship.

www.mmbikeparts.com
A brilliant way to save and rekindle a lost reputation. Pretty smart! Say I read some where a while back on the forum boards can't seam to find it now? Will have to look again. You and Maniac blood related.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
A brilliant way to save and rekindle a lost reputation. Pretty smart! Say I read some where a while back on the forum boards can't seam to find it now? Will have to look again. You and Maniac blood related.
Pure and simple it is the truth.
Call the phone # if you don't believe me.

I ain't here to argue with haters like you. :D

I am mailing a MM Gen II head back to George next week because Jim
didn't give him the program to make it and he doesn't have a sample left.

George has a CNC lathe so he will have to reprogram the way Jim made
the head anyway.

George and his partner are a couple of very nice guys that have no
background with motorized bikes and they just bought a couple of
Genesis Onyx bikes from Walmart to play with.
It just so happens that the MM sprocket adapter fits the 29" 48 spoke
wheels on the Onyx which is great news.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pure and simple it is the truth.
Call the phone # if you don't believe me.

I ain't here to argue with haters like you. :D

I am mailing a MM Gen II head back to George next week because Jim
didn't give him the program to make it and he doesn't have a sample left.

George has a CNC lathe so he will have to reprogram the way Jim made
the head anyway.
Not that there is anything wrong about being related. Once again great idea!!(^)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
All life on planet earth is related so I am related to you too......

Hey, when are you showing up at one of the SoCal races goat
because I just can't wait to meet you in the flesh? ;)
I will comp your race entry fee!
Your not my Aunt/niece nephew..lollaff

I will make it down there with my girl friend at my side soon enough. ;)She loves hiking kayaking and most of all motor bikes!

Was looking into starting some fun racing down here. Sure will save a lot of money in gasoline to get there! .rd.dnut

Last edited: