"54" Royal Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
When I firse saw a kid on a motorized bike ride by I knew I had to make one ,cause really I've wanted one since the firse time I put a playing card in the spokes of my Sting ray.I saw that kid an man I got the itch,found you guys and it's all I think about.Well this is the bike I've been working on since January,my other bike was a rat rod an it was pretty fast and a lot of fun,but it had structul problems an a horrable vibration ( it borke two cns carb)so bad I could'nt keep the carb from falling off.the last time I rode it was on one of Norms beach rides last summer nd the carb broke off an I had to ride back holding it on.When I got home an started lookig It had real problems.My naibor has few cars and parts and a lot of stuff in his yard,one day I was trimming the ivy off my garage and I saw a pale blue bike frame tangled in the weeds,so I asked him if he would be interested in selling it and the girls bike,he said that I could have the frame he hid'nt know much about it all he had to do was dig it out,two months later I get home from work and it's on my front porch.I get my first look at it and WOW! it's just a bent frame and fork and bars rusty bad been painted with house paint. A dimond in the ruff

Attachments

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
After two years I knew what I wanted to build(or did the bike know what it wanted to be?)My friend Dan FX-2 came over an we staitend the frame and I stared to modify the frame,reinforce,replace the rear dropouts ,strech the rear add brackets ,I had never hammer forged anything before so I did alot of research an carved a set of bucks to do the tnk I saw in my head,$100is what the copper sheet cost,bought some hammers an got to it,first side came out OK but the 2nd side was better,got a copper1"thread adapter for a bung,A 1/4 brass pipe coupling for the tap and soldered it all together.This is a job that you never know what it takes till you do it,after a lot of testing and resoldering I finaly got it sealed and fit in the frame.Then came the battery box (piece of cake)This long list sounds like bla bla bla If you build one of these you know what it takes and howw much$$$$$you spend on stuff you JUST HAVE TO BUY

Attachments

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Anyway please excuse the typos and enjoy the pics" Here are the spec's
1954 Royle Flyer frame
2009 Whizzer forks
Asco front drum breake laced into a Worksman "clincher" rim
Niclel plated clip-on bars(hand made by me)
custom front fender bracket
Pipeilline expanion chamber w hade made silincer
2011 Grubee 66cc ,
one piece lightened crank(don't know who made it)
Raw cyl.ported by me ,FX_2 and me again
Raw piston(trimmed skirt)
Puch 70cc head w2 head gaskits
hand made high friction clutch pucks
Jaguar cdi W 80cc coil
NT carb w#68 jet
hand made layback seatpost
36 tooth mm hub adapter installed in a Worksman "clincher"rear rim
12V lights,LED off road highway on the front and 9 LED motorcycle tail light rear with a 12 volt sealed lead acid in the tool box
Hand made kickstand
BRASS BALLS
many thanks to all my compadres on this forum,FX-2,Gas bike,bike berry,Piston Bikes,Norm&Jen,Jeff W,Troyboy,Rockvoiceand all those A-holes that did'nt run me over Later Bob

Attachments

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Hey felyx there made by Whizzer got the tripple tree"s at long beach swapmeet and the tubes on ebay andthere weather stones ,when their wet it"s raining,when thier swaying it"s windy and when their nailed to the bottem bracket I'm haulin ass. Later Bob

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Indeed, that build is nuts...er... nice! Very nice :) I love the way the tank turned out.

How did you and fx-2 cut the clutch pads out? I am looking to score a set, but may have to end up cutting some out myself...

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Indeed, that build is nuts...er... nice! Very nice :) I love the way the tank turned out.

How did you and fx-2 cut the clutch pads out? I am looking to score a set, but may have to end up cutting some out myself...
We cut the pads to size with a band saw ,then fitted them with a 12" plate sander and sanding block . The pads for both clutches were not the same size . Dan

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Thank's for the kudo's next challenge it to build a clutch that can handle the power this baby's making,FX-2 an I are lookin to find stffer springs to change out(and the beat goes on) Be safe Later Bob