1900s Vintage Style Build

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It would indeed be fun to make up a period costume and participate in a parade, or a fun-run with a group!

Why not? lol

Probably far btr than blasting around with a pack of 1%ers. lol

the release mechanism is rigged so the cable end-ball is anchored, and the sheath is what actually forces the valve down, against a spring, to open it.
bass-ackwards from what might be normal.

If you come across some method of easily? simply? advancing/retarding spark ignition, mechanically,
would you please post it? :)

It would be most valuable for these motors when using belt drives.

I'm all for using quiet, inexpensive, vibration free belts!

Best
rc

is there some chainsaw compression release you might know of that is cheap, and easily available?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Im thinking along the costume line with this bike for a 4th parade that has a lot of antique cars, would be fun, but not sure the bike will be parade friendly.
Heres a link to the saw release. It a push down/pop up when it starts. One advantge it has is its shallow. Remember the anti-foulers that screw under a spark plug? was thinking of adding a release to one of them. Would be a simple drill and tap, leaving the head alone. Position would have to be found with the fouler screwed tight, then after drill and tap and reinstalled the release screwed in. not a big deal.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-H...900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab634ca64

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yet another PVC tank. Have been wanting to do this a while, and this engine was perfect since the front oil filler was unmachined. I have had forever a really neat small solder in valve, was perfect for this. Once the front filler is opened and a plug is made to seal the line, then instead of fighting a funnel and spills trying to add oil to the hidden rear filler, simply remove the rear filler cap, crack the valve and watch her fill up. No muss no fuss. Guessing 6-8oz oil capacity. Besides I needed to fill up some space in front of the engine.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
More progress in fact mechanically its nearly done. I rarely back myself into a corner any more but I sure did miss this one. Was proud of the fact that the center stand would fold all the way over to the seat post for riding, took a bit of geometry juggling. Also was liking the extended exhaust with the spring loaded mount using one of the rear V brake mounts and the Whizzer diffuser tip. Guess what the stand wont do now. Gotta now figure which one I want to mod. The little rear brake was a PITA POS. When adjusted so it would stop it dragged, I canned it. Having painted rims and no money for drum brakes at the moment. I reverted back to a truly period(probably before actually, like stagecoach era) scrub brake. My kids had a mini bike with a similar brake. Even with me on it at WOT you could lock the rear wheel. This one stops equally as well. Have it on a hand lever, the rear one, both pull back to avoid confusion, something I am entirely familar with. I figured since I really wanted an antique inspired bike it might as well be hard to ride like some of the originals. I now have the elusive early twin stick model. Its not as bad as I expected, but you do learn your left hand from your right real fast! Came up with a neat throttle cable trick. I had to make a 90 degree in the cable to make it all work. Turns out a bike cable slides with force into 1/4" copper tube. Once in place bend the tube to shape and the cable doesnt move inside. Made configuring the cable much easier. When viewed from the left it is beginning to have the simplistic mechanical complexity that makes Joe Public scratch his head at fuel stops, love it!

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks SB! This one has been fun because it just doesnt matter, I guess it is what it is. I stand in constant awe of the builds you guys constantly put up on this forum-just amazing. This thing is built out of what is left laying around the shop, the knobs were removed from a 100yr old house we restored for instance. Hands on the past for sure. Not the prettiest thing, but in the spirit of the first MBs/MCs. I have not finished the throttle system, but was itching for a test run. Cracked the fuel valve open for a few seconds, put a rubber band around the carbs butterfly to idle, and screwed the idle stop screw in a bit(too much as it turns out). Didnt know what to expect, the old Robin hasnt been run in atleast 10 yrs. Pedaled like crazy, pulled the clutch lever and blam off it went. Must have had at least 1/3 throttle. With the higher ratio it has it took right off! Was kinda brutal! All I could do was hang on until the fuel ran out. Bottom line, even though it has a PVC tank and the engine is from the 70s I was for a time transported to the past where primitive backyard engineering with simple mechanics started the whole thing rolling we today call motorcycles. What a hoot!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Thanks SB! This one has been fun because it just doesnt matter, I guess it is what it is. I stand in constant awe of the builds you guys constantly put up on this forum-just amazing. This thing is built out of what is left laying around the shop, the knobs were removed from a 100yr old house we restored for instance. Hands on the past for sure. Not the prettiest thing, but in the spirit of the first MBs/MCs. I have not finished the throttle system, but was itching for a test run. Cracked the fuel valve open for a few seconds, put a rubber band around the carbs butterfly to idle, and screwed the idle stop screw in a bit(too much as it turns out). Didnt know what to expect, the old Robin hasnt been run in atleast 10 yrs. Pedaled like crazy, pulled the clutch lever and blam off it went. Must have had at least 1/3 throttle. With the higher ratio it has it took right off! Was kinda brutal! All I could do was hang on until the fuel ran out. Bottom line, even though it has a PVC tank and the engine is from the 70s I was for a time transported to the past where primitive backyard engineering with simple mechanics started the whole thing rolling we today call motorcycles. What a hoot!
What a great story! I felt like I was there with you when I read it. Nothing's like the excitement and apprehension of that first test ride on something completely new and unknown. Makes ye feel really "alive" LOL

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Wayne! I know you are/were a flier. Each build and in patricular a scratch build has the excitement of the first flight in something you have built, maybe to a lesser extent, but still cool! I flew for years and was basically forced out over cost. I find the MBs to be a good replacement. Allows one to use their skills and imagination just about as much, with a much shorter build time. There is a great group of guys here on the forum of all ages, I really enjoy seeing all the creativity in one place. Glad I got into it!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Great read, you guys. I recently went to an auction with Tinsmith where a bunch of old motorcycles were for sale, including a 1903 Indian. I made the following comments to Fasteddy this morning, very much in line with your conversation...

"Actually Dan and I were talking about it on the way home from the auction. I appreciate that old Indian and some of the great machines of newer vintage (still old timers) we saw, and neither of us felt like we really wanted them. I mean even if we could afford it. We're having too much fun on our little putt putts... dreaming things up and then fabricating them. These are our bikes. We made them. We ride them and fix them when something isn't right or breaks down.

I'm sure you took great interest in the photos of the 1903, Steve, as it is the inspiration for your camel back tri-car build. Which would be more fun, writing a check for that old Indian and then trying to decide to either leave it alone or restore it to running condition (and writing a whole bunch more checks)... or what you're doing? I'd personally choose to do what you're doing, having the whole rich experience of welding things together, making this and making that, laying awake at night solving problems and making decisions, painting it and attaching that hand made ceramic badge you have for it and firing it up for the first ride. Woohoo! I think I know what your choice would be, too. Face it my friend, we're bike building junkies."
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah, I like that-"junkies". I doubt these things will go away when we are gone. Should be a great barn find in 20-30 years. Imagine the head scratchin going on over what they are. Especially the nicely vintaged/weathered builds like the Excaliber. They will super look legit then. Another cool aspect of these builds as we have built almost all the mechanics, so they would be easily repair/rebuildable almost indefinately. Great hobby!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't see a problem with a 'scrub brake'.
...considering you WILL actually operate it at the very low speeds you have said you will.

kids have been racing mini-bikes and go-karts around with them at far too high of speed, for years!

Best
rc

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well basically finished the build except for a kick stand latch off the seat post, been using a bungee. Got the carb cleaned a the Robin is running great. Had to abandon the pedal start, at least for now due to the fact the lock collar and half a tube of red Loctite couldnt hold the sprocket from loosening on starting. Made a rope pulley from a flat idler and it starts easily, just have to remember to take the rope. Had to pedal half a mile home from my neighbors! Any way it has worked out better than I thought. The clutch system is smooth, even with the flipped idler. A coulpe of pedal strokes, throw in the clutch, and you are going. Will pull from stop, but its awkward juggling the clutch and throttle while guiding the bike one handed. The whole bike is smooth, no vibes even in the pedals. Have a throttle stop at about 2/3. I rode it quite a bit and I bet it never saw over 2500 rpms. So nice to putt-putt along at about 20 I think it tops around 25 as set. It has got to be really similar to a comparable original bike, pleasant to ride in a crude way. Not hard to ride but does require a bit of expertise. You really have to anticipate stops and kick the clutch out. The Robin has a massive amount of power even at idle. Theres not a hill it wont climb even with the throttle stop, it is a 5hp though(200ccs I think). Brake works great for the speed range. For some reason I found myself using my right hand when coming to a complete stop!? Any way its sum total of parts have come together to make what I think is a close to authentic(riding wise) bike that is very interesting and fun to ride! Now the real fun starts with the painting and vintage touches. BTW the lock collars on the jackshaft have held position through all the riding with out the rear halfs welded. Looks like a great way to attatch stuff to bike frames.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looking great Cannon! I can only imagine after she get's her final finish.

Lots of room at the head tube for a leather bag to carry extra rope, just in case :p

Sound like great fun to ride around on. :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's Great!
Almost a glowing report for a first run. :)

It's just a shame there is not a below the radar class where these Xperimental class bikes can be operated without fees involved.

Anyhow, here's a pic I just found of a euro front brake control that does not use a cable. simple enough... I thought you might find it interesting.

Best
rc

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Guys! Yeah, gonna have to get in the habit of putting the rope some where. Quite a bummer when you try to get going and theres no rope. Thats one reason I was so all about the pedal starting, will probably build another rear wheel for a Sportsman adapter when I get the $$.

Cool brake RC, couldnt tell by the pic, is it a scrub brake? Would be nice to be able to legally ride a slow bigger bike like this unrestrained. What on earth is the liability? I think I will be able to come in under the radar just because its slow and fairly quiet.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah, yeah paint, the part I hate the most. I have no trouble painting, I just hate taking a build apart I just finished putting together. Fortunately this one comes apart fast. Gotta make the stand latch today, get a few more rides in then its paint time.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Would be nice to be able to legally ride a slow bigger bike like this unrestrained. What on earth is the liability?
Well, All of us agree you are a talented fellow, personable and fun, who is creative and both willing and capable of helping other people.

Travelling about on personal affairs is NOT a criminal act.

The liability part enters the picture when a member of the law enforcement growth industry takes exception that you have made no contribution.
Failure to stop and discuss their viewpoint of things, when they choose, can result in severe action, on their part.
Challenging authority is always dealt with harshly.
At which time they may attempt to advise you of all sorts of contractual violations, request you appear before an administrator to discuss matters, and they may seize your machine and have it taken away from you, to impound.

It quickly becomes very expensive to counter this sort of behavior, and most people give up immediately, because they are living their lives, and this is only a small part of the overall picture.

On the other hand, those in the law enforcement growth industry rely on a multitude of questionable bureaucratic edicts as a basis for their own sustenance, so they are quite aggressive in pursuing them, with unlimited resources at their disposal.

It's generally easiest to pay for whatever official permits in advance, if you can afford to do so, and then you could only hope it might ward off unwelcome inspection/interpretation and inevitable fee increases.

Well, enough of that. It always becomes tedious.

The Puch bicycle used a rim clamping caliper, but there's no reason a tire scrubber with a fulcrum could not be employed for low speed application.

I liked it mostly because it did not use a cable, and components could be fairly easily fabbed from raw stock.

Best
rc

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ok RC, What I meant was what is the liabilty to the governing powers to allow a certain freedom to folks that want to exercise a right to contrive a means of transportation that actually benefits the collective population. I mean if I take a bicycle and put a 5hp engine on it, and it gets 75mpg its fuel in the tanks of the 4 wheel driving public. Why not encourage this? No they want to live in the gray areas. If I tried to register this piece of my creativity, my local tag office will say we dont register bicycles with motors, end of story. Its a moped, see the laws concerning them. Ok, Im over 49ccs but comply in every other way, but I cant register it as a M/C because its a bicycle. So Im left to fend for myself with the Locals. I guess it depends on where you are, how strict they are and how much revenue they need. I know what is right and ok, so do most of the Locals in my area. I takes my chances, If I am pressed to the letter of the law, they will impound what I am riding because of no registration and insurance, and I will pay what ever the fines are. This is assuming they can prove I am in disobedience of the law. Not professing mis-truth(the Feds handle that for me), but as I have said I takes my chances, and I do it well. Dont mind paying my due honestly if I am nailed.